Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A different species for Jar Jar?

A different species for Jar Jar?

I was culling the herd of my action figure collection last night and came across the Ishi Tib figures. I suddenly thought "Now that's the species the Gungans should have been!" That way you'd have basically the same googley eyed race but somewhat more familiar and it would have given us a reason to have seen them amongst the Rebels in ROTJ. And of course, I'm picturing them talking with some OT pseudo-asiatic language. Anyway, might have been nice, no?
    "Through us, the cosmos gazes on itself, adores itself, breaks its own heart. Through us, matter stares slack-jawed at its own star-dusted countenance and knows, incredulously, that it knows." - Alan Moore

Not a bad idea. Ishi Tib are pretty cool.
    Last edited by Revanfan1; 06-14-2013 at 10:25 PM.
    Show your love for Imperial Commando 2!
    New figure wants: Zayne Carrick, Ben Skywalker, Anakin Solo
    Rerelease wants: Jacen and Jaina Solo

Banned

Gungans could have been awesome and I don't think their design is all that bad. The WHOLE problem with Gungans is the voices that George went with. Firstly they shouldn't have spoken basic....PERIOD. It would have helped greatly if they had spoken an alien language. Can you imagine how annoying Chewbacca would have been if they tried to make him grunt and howl in English? If you don't believe me that it would have made Chewie equally as annoying as Jar Jar try listening to the Wookiee named Ralrra in the Thrawn Trilogy Unabridged audiobooks sometime.

Same thing goes with the Neimoidians. They should have been subtitled. I would love to see an edit of the prequels where someone redoes the voices for the Gungan's and Neimoidians and gives them subtitles. 2 birds 1 stone because they could also fix some of their awful dialog.
    Last edited by Darth_Engelhast; 06-15-2013 at 09:01 AM.

^
    Agreed..

Take the 1977 Star Wars movie as an example. Main characters in non-english language roles include chewbacca and R2 , no need for subtitle either. The communication came from expression, setting and emotive sounds. Very creative. Other secondary characters include jawa, tusken raider, cantina creatures, jabba (in the special ed), others..? Yet the story and settings were/are conveyed brilliantly..

This is just another examlpe of why the OT wins... creativity and originality. As stated above, i wouldn't mind the prequels being re-visited and changed around a bit to better the overall presentation. The need for some subtitle would be necessary though.. for some, not all..imo.

Exactly. I guess the main reason I thought Ishi Tib instead of Gungans was then you wouldn't need to CGI them into the OT at any point down the road. They'd already end up showing up by ROTJ (unless they've also been CGI'd into ANH or ESB and I just missed it).
    "Through us, the cosmos gazes on itself, adores itself, breaks its own heart. Through us, matter stares slack-jawed at its own star-dusted countenance and knows, incredulously, that it knows." - Alan Moore

I actually really like the design of the Gungans.

Their design is quite sophisticated unlike many OT aliens, that either have insect or reptile heads. (Googled what Ishi Tib looks like... I wouldn't be able to stand a legion of these guys. The Gungan design is much stronger and more original than this guy; I really hate the oversized lizard head and hands on a regular human body execution that so many OT aliens have. At least the Gungans are consistently alien throughout their physicality.) I like the duckbill with the long rabbit-meets-reptile ears with a sort of horse-like look. Unfortunately, like everyone here has mentioned, they had to speak.

It's the execution and their complete lack of believability as a race and culture that has me despising them. Simple things like their clothing is horribly executed: It's either the same looking rags uniform as worn by Jar Jar, or it's the very obviously CG- robes and all-too smooth armor. They're just too clean and smooth-- an obvious sign of CGI. But more importantly, their all-tto cartoony expressions and even more cartoony movements that gives a Tex Avery vibe that makes them annoying-- especially Jar Jar, who's a constant Roger Rabbit cut-and-paste into a live-action film. But, Jar Jar is a masterpiece of restraint when compared to that horrendous Boss Nass. And I agree, the voices are beyond annoying. They're better as just a static design. Even the damn Ewoks are much much much more believable as a species and culture because they all actually look like individuals and don't have exaggerated goofy expressions like the very cartoony identical Gungans. It's funny how Jar Jar and the Gungans were targeted at kids, yet they never caught on. Even kids didn't buy into this outdated, juvenile crap.

About the Neimodians: I thought they were a great design when I first saw the trailer. They instantly reminded me of the Emperor's courtiers/dignitaries in ROTJ, with the layers of robes and Chinese/Egyptian headdresses all in dark, wine colors. They were pompous, decadent and creepy at once. I expected them to be cowardly but ruthlessly ferocious-- kind of like the Skeksis of The Dark Crystal. Then they spoke... and along with the goofy accents, manners and the fact that they weren't even merciless tyrants during the invasion, but rather considerate and non-intimating, made them bland and harmless. Very boring.

I think TPM had some of the strongest alien designs: Maul, Neimodians, Gungans, Watto, Sebulba, and a lot of the Tatooine denizens-- like the black/white checkered-face giants, and humans that had North African styles to their designs. Purely on design, I thought TPM aliens were much more sophisticated than the aliens in the cantina scene. The problem was that none of these aliens were memorable or interesting once they were in motion. (Maybe that's why Doug Chiang left... His designs are really strong-- the best for the Prequels, and after him, the designs degenerated massively into sloppy rejects or rip-offs of OT designs and trendy toys.)

George seems to like his villains goofy, harmless and completely neutered so that the heroes are never in any sense of danger. Even little kids would find that boring.

I agree with the bulk of what you're saying and maybe...maybe if the Gungans had been given a cooler dialect and less "goofy" overall execution in acting I might be with you on that point. But I just can't help but see Bugs Bunny and Donald Duck when I see those things! And I'd take a big-handed, rubbery-headed alien over that reference any day!

Though I do think that the Ishi Tibs would most likely have been Gungan-ized for the PT had they been the choice for that role, since their screen time was very limited in ROTJ they could easily have gotten away with streamlining them to be more realistic.

right-but the TPM end battle surely couldn't possess 5000 masked actors, the CG would be still needed/used there. I like the TPM aliens, the only thing would be yes, the Gungan dialogue is indeed weak, I detect an intentional motive for that, mainly simplifying it for the global all-ages crowds, and not having 1/3 of every theatre reading the screen subtitles to their kids. Sebulba, Jabba, Wald had subs, but Fodesinbeed had some translation. The Gungans took way too much of a main role to sub them out, I assume. Ishi Tib is/are a criminally underused being, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinkie View Post
    Exactly. I guess the main reason I thought Ishi Tib instead of Gungans was then you wouldn't need to CGI them into the OT at any point down the road. They'd already end up showing up by ROTJ (unless they've also been CGI'd into ANH or ESB and I just missed it).
    Last edited by jpolli666; 06-19-2013 at 11:16 AM.

double post...for no explicable reason.
    Last edited by sinkie; 06-19-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Yeah, I guess I wasn't as clear as I meant to be on my last post, when I said "Gungan-ized" I meant that for sure I think they would have been CGI'd if they'd been in TPM, so the "end battle" issue wouldn't really be an issue. Chewbacca didn't need subtitles though. So maybe some balance could have been struck between having subtitles around when no one on screen understood them and have the responses of other characters (like Han responding to Chewie), letting us in on what they Gungans were up to, or Threepio and the Ewoks for that matter. Subtitles could have been heavily cut down I think.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast