Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the WORST vintage playsets?

the WORST vintage playsets?

I was thinking about the pros & cons of different playsets when it comes to loose display & playability. There are definitely some fantastic sets out there, and then there are the ones where Kenner just got.. lazy? Uninspired? Who knows. Anyway, I'm just curious what gets your vote as the most disappointing vintage playsets in the line.

I collect loose Jabba's palace stuff, and I will definitely be holding my nose whenever it comes time to consider picking up the Jabba's Dungeon playset. Either of them. Figures aside, the sets are pretty lame. Kenner really dropped the ball on these. So lame that they released it twice (three times if you count the Droid Factory base that it was cannibalized from). Considering the sheer volume of Jabba's palace figures out there, a well-thought out Palace playset would have been awesome. These are not.

Last edited by bodhi_tree777; 12-04-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Funny, the first Jabba Dungeon was one of my favorite toys!
    "I'm so hardcore, I hate the title "A New Hope" being added!"
    My Feedback

What did these cost when they came out?

I credit them for finally including some figures. As a kid, I always felt Kenner was being cheap for not slipping you an extra Luke with the X-wing or Yoda with the Dagobah set. Action Figure Not Included is a phrase that to this day makes me feel disappointed (admittedly, it dosen't come up very often in day to day life).

The dungeon sets were very lame.

agreed they were the worst!!

Come on, worse than the Sears Cantina? It was a folded piece of cardboard and 4 figures. If one of those figures wasn't Blue Snaggletooth, I'm not sure many would hold it in such high regard. I know they did the same concept a few years later with the Cloud City playset, but at least that had some playability, from what I remember.
    The Dungeons were cool, they had the working crane you could hang guys off of, the ramp where you could have 8D8 kick 3P0 or R2 down into a pit of (whatever your warped mind could think of, it was usually lava for me), and came with 3 figures (that I didn't already have).

Also, they were originally around $12-15, I had a boxed one a few years ago that I sold off that still had an original price tag on it of $13.99. That was a pretty good deal for 1984, I think.

I think most of the Vintage Kenner toys are pretty cool, but if I had to choose I'd agree that the Jabba Dungeon is the worst (The Cardboard Rebel Command Center is pretty unexciting as well). It would be pretty boring to play with. The box looks cool, but I never really wanted this one as a kid because of the lack of features.
    Wanted: Jawa sample proofs,a textured cape Leia, and any Boushh proofs. I'm also currently looking for a 21 ESB back Leia Organa proof. I have cash and many great trade items!
    My Feedback:http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1070625/

Quote Originally Posted by monstermonkey View Post
    Come on, worse than the Sears Cantina? It was a folded piece of cardboard and 4 figures. If one of those figures wasn't Blue Snaggletooth, I'm not sure many would hold it in such high regard. I know they did the same concept a few years later with the Cloud City playset, but at least that had some playability, from what I remember.
    The Dungeons were cool, they had the working crane you could hang guys off of, the ramp where you could have 8D8 kick 3P0 or R2 down into a pit of (whatever your warped mind could think of, it was usually lava for me), and came with 3 figures (that I didn't already have).

Also, they were originally around $12-15, I had a boxed one a few years ago that I sold off that still had an original price tag on it of $13.99. That was a pretty good deal for 1984, I think.
    The Sears Cantina has more collector cachet because of the Blue Snaggletooth, and the fact that it came out early in the line, but from a child's perspective it was much lamer than the Dungeon.

I know, I had both as a kid!

Darth Vader's Star Destroyer playset. Never appealed to me as a kid and doesn't now either - it's kind of the same shape as a Star Destroyer but obviously it's tiny... what's the point?

Apparently Ron Salvatore agrees too ;-) Darth Vader's Star Destroyer Action Playset - Star Wars Collectors Archive

Cheers

d.

Quote Originally Posted by jg73 View Post
    The Sears Cantina has more collector cachet because of the Blue Snaggletooth, and the fact that it came out early in the line, but from a child's perspective it was much lamer than the Dungeon.

I know, I had both as a kid!
    I think any playset made entirely out of cardboard is in the running for the worst; so I would pick the Sears Cantina as the worst also. The only reason anybody even cares about it is because of the blue Snaggletooth.

I'm not saying that the Jabba's Dungeon playsets are great, but at least they had some playability to them and weren't just cardboard backdrops. I could see myself having some fun with the Dungeon playsets as a kid, however, one spilled glass of Kool-Aid and any of the cardboard playsets would be instant trash.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split. - Robert E. Howard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast