Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: New Toltoys NZ moc variation discovered

Hi guys,

Unfortunately I am not a TOLTOYS Collector, just one lucky boy. Picked this up last night within a massive collection. Only thought it would be fair to let you know there is another one, although I would assume that a few know already.

ENJOY!

Bram
    WTB: Luke Bespin & Luke Hoth Proofs and an AT-AT Walker Revenge Proof
    My Feedback

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    Hey Fellas, these arrived today after a few weeks sweating that they had been lost in the mail.

I believe this is the first time a Chewy has been found on a NZ 48 back and in the lot came two NZ 21 backs.

Unfortunately someone has attempted repairs to all three but the backs are untouched, The 48 back is the same size as a standard Kenner card but the 21 backs are quite visibly smaller than a regular Kenner 21 back. very excited to have something that actually has New Zealand printed on it and as a bonus they originate from my parents home town of Christchurch.

48 back

21 backs

Compared to a Kenner card

Cheers Ryan
    Just adding Ryan's great find to this thread. There are some great NZ finds lately. Just amazing.

Cheers
    Pat
    Looking for Darth Vader items from all around the world.
    Vader Vintage Collection
    Vader Bootleg Collection

Hi guys, I was going to update these pics in the cardbacks thread but I thought this would be a better place to keep the data in one central location for these items.

So this is my current collection of NZ 21 back cardbacks, bubbles and carded figures. The Greedo and Hammerhead are carded, the Death Squad Commander and Snaggletooth have the appropriate bubble resting on top of the card but not attached. Those are not the bubbles that came with those exact cards, but they are the correct matching style. The Luke X-Wing however is an interesting sample. The cardback has the usual NZ pyramid shaped bubble remnants but the bubble I have below is not of this style. Thanks to the residual print on the bubble you can see it has the double lines on the border so is definitely from a SW card, but it has no bubble footer and the flanges are square cut like the typical NZ 32 back bubble. This bubble matches the example that Paul has with his carded figure so it is a solid link demonstrating there were two styles of NZ 21 back figure for Luke X-Wing, the pyramid bubble version and a square flanged version.

Additionally thanks again to the retained print from the cardback there are three unmatched bubbles which demonstrate the existence of Chewbacca, C-3PO and Stormtrooper. The last bubble has been thoroughly cleaned along the flange so there is not print to help identify the character it came from however I believe it to be a Greedo bubble as it has some paint transfer inside the bubble that matches the turquoise of Greedo's boots and there's a similar mark on the carded Greedo bubble too. CSI Star Wars in action again! To date this takes the total known characters for NZ 21 back cards to 17 with Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Han Solo and Boba Fett not yet confirmed. I think it's reasonable to presume that those first three were also produced although no known examples have been spotted. As for Boba Fett, it may or may not have been produced on this cardback and we may never have confirmation of this one.

This is my set of 32 backs with the square flanged bubble imprints. The top right Fett had been in my collection since 2009 but I didn't realise what it was at the time. I just thought it was a nice example of a Fett cardback despite the staple it has in the bottom which was obviously used at some time to hold the bubble on. This was probably done at the toy store as it's obvious the bubbles on these cards were not sealed very strongly. Obviously as more information on these has come to light I have a much better understanding of the significance of the unusual bubble shape.

Both these cardbacks are NZ 48 backs but I'm unsure about the bubbles. They're definitely NZ ones but I suspect they're possible supposed to be paired with NZ 32 back cardbacks rather than these. The Yoda bubble has rounded flanges whcih match the 32 back example I've seen while the Luke bubble doesn't seem large enough to cover the bubble impression on the 48 back card. Still, they're a nice match until the correct cardbacks make an appearance Here's a photo of the back showing the unique price circle and Toltoys NZ address details.

So.... anyone got some spare NZ cardbacks they want to sell? As it happens, I have a carded Hammerhead that I'd now be willing to trade as I have a loose cardback in my collection.
    Last edited by Dax; 07-19-2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: fixed image link
    "I'm sorry, but I'm not going to watch the Clone Wars TV series until I've seen the Clone Wars movie. I prefer to let George Lucas disappoint me in the order he intended.

Great collection. Where do you find these NZ card backs? I live in NZ and never see them them anywhere!

Wow! Just fantastic Dax. Awesome collection, congratulations.
    Last edited by joff_g; 07-20-2014 at 07:57 AM.
    Looking for foreign cardbacks - PM me if you have any for sale/trade

My Star Wars Cardbacks Blog
    My Feedback

Of course if you don't trade that Hammerhead over time you at least
    have an interested buyer ; )
    As a grumpy Luke said to Han before his wedding "May Divorce be with you"

My Feedback - below link
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/t923747/

Hi all,

I can now confirm both Lando and Han Hoth in the NZ 32 back series. This leaves Bossk as the only 32 back Empire character that has not been seen on these cards so it would seem probable that he was produced. Interestingly the only SW character seen on these cards to date is Fett so it's possible no other SW characters were produced. Perhaps time will prove me wrong though
    "I'm sorry, but I'm not going to watch the Clone Wars TV series until I've seen the Clone Wars movie. I prefer to let George Lucas disappoint me in the order he intended.

Updated with pic:

Only just found this thread, but enjoyed the pics of the NZ 21 and 32 backs. I've always found the shorter NZ 21-backs and larger NZ 32-backs interesting, ever since I started getting figs/cardbacks from overseas and spotted that they were different in size when stacked against my NZ-purchased cardbacks ...have got a few NZ cardbacks in my collection from my childhood (21-backs: R5-D4, Walrusman; 32-backs Bespin Security Guard, Bossk, Hoth Han Solo, Lando, FX-7, Bespin Leia).
    -------------------------
    Matt G
    New Zealand

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast