Page 105 of 105 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105
Results 1,041 to 1,045 of 1045

Thread: Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

While I am a SW fan and like the fact that GL brought us something to enjoy over the course of our lifetime. I can also admit that I cannot really take a lot of what he says as absolute or definitive. He's changed his way of thinking far too many times over the years. I'm not saying he's wrong, just inconsistent. Which means unreliable. IMO
    Looking for:Jedi Temple Guard X2, Hera. BAD R4-X2 & Y5-X2 Have: MU Rogue Captain America, Grim Reaper, WW Hulk. SW:Rebels Stormtroopers from 2-pks X2, IG-RM. 6" Snowtrooper, AT-AT Driver Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

My take on this is that he (Lucas) sees it as an 'evolutionary' process (to paraphrase him). In other words, the need for him to make changes in order to bring out the most effective emotional connections to his characters (and amongst themselves) was paramount to his objectives on a cinematic level. Example, the idea of Leia as Luke's sister was in Lucas' POV the most effective impetus for Luke's reason to turn to the darkside. The question becomes, would it have worked effectively if Leia wasn't? It seems Lucas felt it wouldn't, but maybe this is something worth discussing on its own thread. The most significant, and IMO the most important change was the father-son archetype which didn't factor into the original storyline initially, yet has evolved into one of the most significant core themes of the SW Saga.

Now obviously, I'm only mentioning 70's/80's George Lucas at this point (before the Special Editions and the PT). I've already made it a point to myself at least to myself to not justify his motives beyond that.
    A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing. -George Lucas

I can understand these things, I simply mentioned the doc as a pretty decent summation of his actions up to that point, plus it elaborated on some things we actually see today, which was interesting. It sounded pretty good IMO, and I really haven't dissected it in a study form, but it just made sense more than not. Regretfully it spun way outta control and as things often do here, & went wild. I just don't see the moves in his career & achievements as bumbling and roll of the dice as many make it all out to be is all.
    Last edited by jpolli666; 09-22-2017 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpolli666 View Post
    I can understand these things, I simply mentioned the doc as a pretty decent summation of his actions up to that point, plus it elaborated on some things we actually see today, which was interesting. It sounded pretty good IMO, and I really haven't dissected it in a study form, but it just made sense more than not. Regretfully it spun way outta control and as things often do here, & went wild. I just don't see the moves in his career & achievements as bumbling and roll of the dice as many make it all out to be is all.
    Sorry, no. You're backtracking now. This was your initial post about the documentary--

Quote Originally Posted by jpolli666 View Post
    I found this great doc/interview dvd years ago I think many would enjoy/benefit from viewing here. It was from like a network/channel, PBS?, not Amazon or eBay (at the time), It's called The Mythology of SW. Answers many speculative points recklessly thrown around this site via couch Oscar nominees & producers, and it's all direct from the one whom should explain it, and it's nearly an hour. Best part about it is explains much of what one may question. And, no need to agree or disagree, because that doesn't matter, it's explained how things were done, and debate isn't an option, unless you choose to make a film, then you can do things in a way you think is logical, but this lays the saga narrative out quite well, and although now the films are of a new era, you see the logic remains.
    You very clearly state that there's "no need to agree or disagree" and "debate isn't an option." That doesn't sound like someone who "simply mentioned the doc as a pretty decent summation of his actions up to that point." You mentioned it because you thought you had an example of something that would "prove" that discussion and debate isn't necessary. But it didn't work. So which is it? Is the documentary "a pretty decent summation" or is it so definitive that "debate isn't an option"?

Quote Originally Posted by Deak_Starkiller View Post
    My take on this is that he (Lucas) sees it as an 'evolutionary' process.
    okay, but Evolution works from A to F, or 1 to 6. Not from 4 to 6, then change it all before 1 to 3 and then again after. That's either De-evolution or trying to change a mistake written in stone for 20 years.

I get he may not have been happy with the outcome form s many years ago, due to the limited technology back then. And I can understand going back and fixing things that were sketchy or clean up stuff. But to physically change/alter/replace/add scenes is destroying your work, not improving it.

One of my biggest issues was wanting Obi-Wan's Saber blade fixed, so it didn't look dated, old and weak. But as time went by, it occurred to me that his Saber could have been old and weak after not using it for so many years. Thus the crystal was losing power etc. And now it was simply waering out when called upon again. However, I also considered that he wouldn't let such a thing happen to his Jedi Weapon. Similar to how Samurai would care for their Katana. So that fix has me split. But adding stuf that ahs no business being there after the fact just to make them mesh with new stuff.

Two wrongs don't make a right, remember? So trying to fix mistakes with mistakes is a mistake IMO.
    Looking for:Jedi Temple Guard X2, Hera. BAD R4-X2 & Y5-X2 Have: MU Rogue Captain America, Grim Reaper, WW Hulk. SW:Rebels Stormtroopers from 2-pks X2, IG-RM. 6" Snowtrooper, AT-AT Driver Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Page 105 of 105 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105