Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first diorama (battle of endor)

•    

Post My first diorama (battle of endor)

Hey, this is the start of my endor diorama its on a 16 square foot piece of plywood over a table. Its still a work in progress, if anyone here actually has built dioramas before i would really apreciate any tips or criticism you might have for me.

sorry bout the delay on the photo's, ran out of time last night

check out more pics here: http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogall...y.php?cat=3465

will keep posting my progress Thanks guys
    Last edited by thebish1997; 04-30-2012 at 06:15 PM.

any pics?

atleast10characters

•    
    Definately need some pictures, we can't really comment otherwise!!!
    "Look Sir, Droids"

wow, you got plenty of room then... you could reuse the fairly sturdy cardboard tubes from empty wax paper, aluminum foil, saran wrap for trees. possibly paper towel tubes as well but those definitely would need to be reinforced by wrapping tape around them before applying paper clay/plaster. i haven't attempted to make a complete redwood tree so i do a shortened cutoff version where at the top i hotglue fake evergreen branches around the top. nicer effect than foliage clumps from model railroad supplies.

coconut coir (coconut husk fiber) makes the perfect forest floor. find it in a pet store. it's primarily used as bedding for reptiles. comes in a brick, you soak it in water and it expands and you allow it to dry. need quite a bit of diluted glue (woodland scenics scenic cement) to spray and soak in if you want it to stay in place. Endor had a lot of ferns and it's somewhat difficult to find the right scale fake plastic ferns. but one day i found a big bunch of plastic ferns at Michael's craft store that were perfect all i had to do was grab the scissors and trim the bits off the sides of each stem. then i took those put down a dollop of hot glue and held a few 4 or 5 together in the hot glue till it became solid and then i could peel that fern bush off and place it anywhere i want with another application of hot glue.

the craft store may also in the floral section have dried plants that are stained green that work well for saplings and other vegetation coming up. bits of model railroad foliage materials still work nicely as little plants on the ground floor. i haven't tried it but supposedly you can take grape stems and bake them for a little bit so they're rigid and you could glue foliage material to them to make smaller trees/bushes. also leftover tea leaves from tea bags can be used as ground material. small natural twigs could be used. rocks you can find..

oh yeah you wouldn't want the whole thing completely flat in which case you could use sturdy dense stryofoam, or tape down wads of old newspaper/magazines and cover with plaster wrap bandages.

The main thing I noticed, before you got too far in the build process, was that the ground is way too flat. Endor was pretty hilly and had ridges and valleys spread throughout. Other than that, this is looking great. Very large area for a major battle!

EDIT: Just noticed the wokling joining the fight as a member of the catapult crew. That is why the Ewoks won, they were trained since birth!
    Last edited by TheRealMrMaul; 05-01-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    "Who's more foolish, The Fool, or The Fool who follows him?"

My_Collection & My_Newest_WIP_Dio

•    
    what would you suggest i do to add hills, ridges and valleys? im a noobie at this.
    thanks

here's a method for building a terrain base How to make a diorama tutorial

build up hills with wads of scrap paper and cardboard strips, or you could use wire mesh. then you need something to spread over the top to dry in to a hard stable shell.

you don't have to use the hydrocal stuff he's using. he's bascially making his own plaster strips. you could buy already made plaster wraps or plaster of paris or Sculptamold (SC3 Sculptamold 3 lb (aac41821c) American-Art-Clay Model Railroad Molds Accessories)

or you could use styrofoam to build up the groundwork. the best kind to use is the pink/blue stuff. more detail here Blue Foam, Pink Foam, Foamboard and Styrofoam.

I use insulating styrofoam that I get at Lowes or Menards. It comes in a pack of 6 sheets that measure 14 1/2" wide x 48" long and it comes in 2 thicknesses 3/4" or 2". When making terrain you rip the sides of the sheets to form the rough shape of the hill you want. Then when you get the shape and size you want you coat it with either POP, paper mache, spackle, etc. After it hardens you sand any rough spots or fix any parts that you want more build up. Then you can primer it and add your foliage. Visually you will want a ridge or large hill on the side that will be the main back of the display(so the display flows toward the viewer). look at some of the other Endor dios in the dio index for ideas. John Silence in the previous post added some good links as well.
    "Who's more foolish, The Fool, or The Fool who follows him?"

My_Collection & My_Newest_WIP_Dio

•    
    so do i need to take out my trees, bunker and ground cover i have down? or can i just build up the ground around them?

im sure you could leave the trees (they do look nice and effective) and build up some uneven ground here and there around them. doesn't need to be drastic or anything. if the ground cover is glued down it might take some extra care to make sure things are secured down. otherwise brush it off

awesome catapult by the way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast