Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AT-AT packaging: Vintage to Modern

AT-AT packaging: Vintage to Modern

Boredom drove me to take some photos and start this thread.

I'm a huge fan of the AT-AT. I love it so much the ONLY modern items I own or care to own are AT-AT walkers. I recently added the new 2010 Vintage Collection AT-AT, with the cool vintage packaging. I decided to get all three out (ESB, POTF2 and Vintage Collection) and take some photos.

It's obvious that Hasbro made some pretty big strides in shrinking the boxes. The ESB is simply an enormous box, made so large I suppose by the fact that it had to be boxed pretty much fully assembled. However, the 1997 POTF2 version is about half as large, despite the fact that the toy is pretty much the same.

The 2010 version is a toy about 50% larger, yet is in a much smaller box due to the legs being disassembled. However, it is a LOT heavier.

I'm guessing anyone who got an AT-AT as a kid for Christmas or birthday must have freaked out, just with the overwhelming size of the box. Unfortunately, I didn't.

Very nice! I love the transition
    CHEERS!,
    Mike SCARDS22

SCARDS22: Saving beaters from AFA "U HELL", one at a time!

you have to throw in the Lego AT-AT boxes, too

nice photos, thanks for the share....
    *Pray. For. Mo-Jo.*

That vintage(original) AT-AT box is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!:friendly_wink:
    Last edited by SexxyDrummerBoy1; 10-15-2011 at 07:03 PM.

Very cool to see them all lined up. Were you able to pick up the saga collection one from 2006? I don't remember if it was a store exclusive or not.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ121 View Post
    Very cool to see them all lined up. Were you able to pick up the saga collection one from 2006? I don't remember if it was a store exclusive or not.
    No, don't have that one yet. I also saw the Endor version I'd like to pick up.

I think the Saga one has the Endor deco

First of all, very neat comparison of the AT-AT boxes. The thread should include some comparison shots of the actual toys as well... if anyone has some. One thing I would love to see, and haven't to date, is some AT-AT prototype material. Is anyone covering the AT-AT as a focus?

One of the reasons I like the POTF2 AT-AT was that the exclusive figures included reminded me more of the vintage era sculpts, compared to early POTF2 figures. Also, the vintage AT-AT Commander / General Veers figure always looked very underwhelming to me. In the movie, General Veers was one of my favorite Imperial characters, kind if of a 'by the books', no-nonsense leader, that got the job done. The vintage figure just doesn't represent him very well, IMO. The exclusive AT-AT Commander figure in the 1997 POTF2 release looked much like what I would have wanted back in the early 1980's. Plus it lacked the muscles & stupid action poses that were more popular in the 1990's. The POTF2 AT-AT was one of the last modern era pieces I bought back in the 1990's, before I gave up on the Kenner/Hasbro 'donkey-carrot' routine. It was one of the best things from the POTF2 line. Even though I'm not a modern collector really, I was compelled to pick up a first shot of the exclusive AT-AT Commander figure recently. Thanks again to Joe Y for that.

Leif
    Last edited by Leif_G; 10-17-2011 at 09:27 AM.
    SW Collecting Since 1977
    Leif's Trade Feedback

Supersnipe Comic Art Gallery (and related SW art) (George Lucas' & Ed Summers' comic/art shop in the 1970's)
    Star Wars Dyeline & Cactus Print Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Leif_G View Post
    First of all, very neat comparison of the AT-AT boxes. The thread should include some comparison shots of the actual toys as well... if anyone has some.

Wow, that VC AT-AT is a monster!
    SW Collecting Since 1977
    Leif's Trade Feedback

Supersnipe Comic Art Gallery (and related SW art) (George Lucas' & Ed Summers' comic/art shop in the 1970's)
    Star Wars Dyeline & Cactus Print Thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast