Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Squidhead with black cape

Question about Squidhead with black cape

Is the black caped Squidhead a normal production figure with a sample black cape or is the figure itself a first shot prototype. Or is it found as both?

And what about Leia with Pink Combat Poncho? I have seen a loose one which was an unpainted production figure with a sample pink cape, but I have also seen a carded sample and I wandered if it was also a standard production figure with sample pink cape or if the figure was a first shot prototype too.

Hope the question makes sense. It's a bit early in the morning
    Last edited by olisuds; 10-15-2011 at 07:08 AM.

Taken from this thread: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1035298/

Quote Originally Posted by AlotofNunb View Post

Actually, I purchased that white cape Bib Fortuna in summer 2008. It took many years to gather this collection but it has been a wonderful hobby. I have included a photo of that figure along with a few more real AFA graded gems as well as the whole collection including an AFA 90 red cape Bib Fortuna, AFA 90 J-Slot Rocket Fett, AFA 85 L-Slot Rocket Fett, AFA 80 Black Cape Squid Head, AFA 85 Uzay Bluestars, AFA 75-Q Uzay Headman, AFA 85 DT Kenobi, AFA 90 Vader, & an AFA 80 Glasslite Vlix.
    Quote Originally Posted by supersaber View Post
    Found the e-mail. I was advised that only the 2 photo samples (one hardcopy and one internal first shot, both made in the model shop) have the hand-painted belt and a hand-painted weapon. And that this is a standard silver belt and gun.

Man, I wish it was in my collection
    Quote Originally Posted by acedecade75 View Post
    Here is a picture of the internal first shot black caped Squidhead:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...Squidhead2.jpg

As you can see, this one has the hand painted gold belt and hand painted gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlotofNunb View Post

AFA 80 Black Cape Squid Head- Brokered through Tom Derby in 7/07. This figure originated from a former employee of Kenner who in a senior position within the Kenner Engineering Department. This figure does have a silver belt and they were all molded that way. The gold belt version was hand painted. There are only 2-3 in existence.
    Hope this helps.

Tom purchased on from us just before CIV, it is 100% authentic. Is this ours?

We have sold two additional ones since then. To date. three are out there... at least that came from us. I guess yours would be number four. I have seen them both on internal first shots ( we have sold two) and production figures.

Hope this helps.

Best-
    Jordan
    ( who will be at NY Comic Con all weekend with no access to E-mail) Booth 1280
    Hollywood Heroes
    www.hollywoodheroes.com

Quote Originally Posted by DrDengar View Post
    Taken from this thread: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1035298/

Hope this helps.
    Thats great. Funny, I had just bookmarked that thread from AlotofNunb last week. I must have missed some of those responses because I dont recall them. So looks like the black caped Squid head has been found as Hardcopy, internal first shot and on production figures. From reading that thread I don't think AlotofNunb said whether his was an internal first shot or standard production figure ethough.

Anyone know about the Leia Pink Poncho? I've only seen a production figure with a sample cape. I've seen a carded sample too but have no idea if the figure was also a production one!
    Last edited by olisuds; 10-14-2011 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodHeroes View Post
    Tom purchased on from us just before CIV, it is 100% authentic. Is this ours?

We have sold two additional ones since then. To date. three are out there... at least that came from us. I guess yours would be number four. I have seen them both on internal first shots ( we have sold two) and production figures.

Hope this helps.

Best-
    Jordan
    ( who will be at NY Comic Con all weekend with no access to E-mail) Booth 1280
    Thanks Jordan, just edited my post as I hadn't seen your response. Man i need to open my eyes

Cool, so its been found as hardcopy, internal first shot and on standard production figures. So you have sold 3 yourself!!! You should really think about selling me one of those next time you have one going spare

Any idea about the Leia Pink Poncho?

Not sure of the carded Leia one but I know of one that's either a HC or protomold. I saw it 5 years ago so I forget but I know it was hand painted with no peg holes.

John
    and time will be, the catalyst to weed out the weak and beget strength-of character
    -Shai Hulud
    http://theswca.com/
    southside_201 at yahoo dot com My PMs are full so please don't use.

Thanks John, so it sounds like the pink poncho can be found on both prototype and standard production figure. Yes, still curious to know which one the carded sample was. I remember seeing a picture of if a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by olisuds View Post
    so it sounds like the pink poncho can be found on both prototype and standard production figure.
    The loose pink ponchos I've seen (besides the HC or protomold on the Archive) were all unpainted first shots. Got markings on the legs, but I think it's safe to call them first shots due to many reasons. I don't think you could call it a production figure no matter what though, if it has a pink poncho and was found that way, it's some kind of pre-production figure. The pink poncho is not a variation, it was just a way of testing which fabric to use and test the fitting of the ponchos shape. Many of the figures with fabric capes exists with different non-production colors, the department responsible for those likely just took what color that was available while making the samples. Theres also a solid green poncho out there, although that provenance is a bit vague.

Mattias

Thanks Mattias, Yes I wasn't sure about calling it a standard production figure. I guess I was thinking that after production had begun they had just done a test mock up with a sample pink poncho on a standard production figure. But it makes sense that if the purpose of the pink cape was just to test the fabric (before production) then the figure would be some sort of prototype too.

So would you say the same for the black capes that were found on the production like squid head that Jordan referred to?

Quote Originally Posted by olisuds View Post
    So would you say the same for the black capes that were found on the production like squid head that Jordan referred to?
    My honest opinion... a black caped Squid should be on a protomold or HC. The belt should be painted gold too. I have a feeling that at some point legitimate capes may have been bundled with production figures or FSs to give them more cache. Now if a protomold turned up with a black cape and silver belt it's possible that the belt was never finished or equally possible it was added later to "finish" it. IMO for the money one of those sells for I want the figure to be a protomold and the belt/gun painted, otherwise what's the point? It was a piece I always liked. However, I wouldn't take any less and couldn't justify the added expense of the cape so I never hunted too hard. It was crazy that a $2,000 HC turned into a $5,000 HC because of a cape. Didn't like it that much.

FWIW I feel the same about the Leia. Anything is possible but it seems more likely to me if the cape is on a production figure, or even a FS, it *may* have been cobbled together. This post isn't meant to offend but in my mind the the scenarios I laid out make the most sense. Those capes are super early and unless figure production was THAT far ahead of soft goods there's no real reason that two stages so far apart SHOULD be together aside from cobbling (even if it comes down to a Kenner guy just storing related pieces in the same box).

John
    and time will be, the catalyst to weed out the weak and beget strength-of character
    -Shai Hulud
    http://theswca.com/
    southside_201 at yahoo dot com My PMs are full so please don't use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast