Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: ROTJ History: Gerald Home's Creature Info.

Hi Gerald,

I am not a regular on this forum, but I do a bit of analysis of the Battle of Endor on TheForce.Net. My purposes for learning about the behind the scenes and specific actors and artists is not related to collecting but to gaining an experience of the Battle of Endor that is simultaneously multidimensional, being taken in by the magic with willing disbelief, while also seeing through the magic.

You said previously in this thread that you never wore the Mon Calamari helmet. It also appears from the variety of call sheets that you are the go-to mime artist for giving life to any Mon Cal character (that is distinct from Ackbar / Tim Rose). So when the Briefing room scene starts up, there is a few second shot up to the bridge, where it is seen that Ackbar is conferring with a Mon Cal that has that white helmet. What strikes me about this, given the fact that you state that you never wore that helmet, is how animated and humane the interaction is. Both the Mon Cal-in-helmet and Tim Rose Ackbar share gestures and mannerisms that really set a tone that the Mon Cal are not all that different. That Mon Cal-in-helmet then leaves the bridge area and Ackbar then looks over the balustrade of his bridge onto the motley crue of the foredeck / briefing area.

You have stated that in the briefing area, beside Mon Mothma, you are the Mon Cal Officer in the fawn color costume, and there are two other Mon Cals in camo. I don't know how the shooting dates would line up for the shot where the Mon Cal-in-helmet left the bridge, but this is very good confirmation or logic that you were not the mime artist in the Mon Cal-in-helmet.

So- That Mon Cal-in-helmet shows up in the Home One cruiser's hangar where Lando and Han have a parting exchange. In the continuity of shots that are offered, it is easy to believe that this Mon Cal-in-helmet is *the Mon Cal-in-helmet that left the bridge several minutes earlier, and, necessarily has a fictional role to play in that universe that combines responsibilities on the bridge and responsibilities on the flight deck.

I believe you can doubly confirm that you are not the Mon Cal-in-helmet in the hangar bay, because you said you never wore the helmet. Do you have any knowledge if it is the same mime artist or extra in the costume, or the same costume, which wears the white helmet in both scenes. Do you have any guess, based on height or mannerism, who the mime artist or extra might be that is in the helmet on the bridge? Again, none of what I seek is towards a physical artifact like an autograph. I am seeking insight into what was imagined or conceived in those moments as the secondary world, from behind the camera.

Thank you.

Here are the relevant images.

A quick post to mention a few fun things now, and I'll answer Hernalt's excellent post before Christmas.

Thanks to those of you who have told me about Topps now having the Star Wars photo licence. Most interesting. As usual, it's you guys, my Bothan spies, who have given me news. Nice to see they have a pic of me as Tessek on the Sail Barge - not the same one I have posted here: look carefully and you'll see I'm doing "cheering" acting, with my arms raised in the air, in the Topps photo. There are also several photos of me lurking behind Luke in Jabba's Palace, and I'm glad to see they have the 2-shot, still photo of me with Ackbar.

Speaking of Tessek - can someone please tell me about this video I just discovered on YouTube? Is this a commercially-bought game, or a fan-made one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG-7_Fs6-cM

Who knew Tessek/I was not a gentleman, zapping poor Princess Leia like that?!

Who knew Tessek/I had such powerful tentacles?!

Something I keep forgetting to tell you: my more popular character in Italy and Spain, and, as I recently discovered, in Chile too, is my Mon Calamari Officer, whereas in the rest of the world it's Tessek-Squid Head. Fans chose nearly twice as many MCO photos in Chile as T-SH ones. Why? Well, I think it's because they eat a lot of Calamari in those hot countries, so they have a special affection for the Mon Calamari Officer! (French fans also like my MCO pix.)

Gerald
    Last edited by Gerald_Home; 12-22-2016 at 07:19 PM.
    Gerald Home
    Tessek-Squid Head & Mon Calamari Officer in STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI
    http://www.GeraldHome.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald_Home View Post

Speaking of Tessek - can someone please tell me about this video I just discovered on YouTube? Is this a commercially-bought game, or a fan-made one?
    Hi Gerald,

The game clip you found on YouTube is a freeware fan-made 2D fighting game using a software engine called M.U.G.E.N.

I think it had a bit of a following when it was released back in 2010. I remember having a blast with it for a while

Looks like you can still download it from http://www.indiedb.com/games/star-wa...ltimate-batlle

I'd also like to say thanks for all your informative posts here on the boards, makes for some very interesting reading!

Cheers
    Stephen

First of all, thank you Stephen for the comment and info. It's nice to see another "newbie" post on this thread. I'll look into your Tessek game link over the holidays.

Now then, Mon Cals...I thought we had discussed everything there was to discuss about Mon Cals, but the interest in recent weeks, both here on the forum and in MANY emails and PMs sent directly to me, seems to be increasing! Great stuff. And now we have Hernalt's amazing post, which I'll address here, and add various relevant Mon Cal-related stories Hernalt has reminded me of...

During my talks at events, I mention something which I'm surprised many Star Wars fans haven't noticed before...

Ackbar's (and my Mon Cal's) first appearance in ROTJ is at around 46m 36s on the DVD:

Fast forward your DVD to about 1h 57m 30s, and that scene, that shot continues!

Do you see what I mean? There is only about a second and a half between the 2 scenes - yet a lot more time than that has passed in the story. To me, this is a fascinating example of what film-makers have to do when telling a story: they can only use the footage they filmed. In other words, there was no other footage for them to use, no other Mon Cal scenes which they'd filmed. I'm not criticising anyone in any way...I love seeing how films are put together. I think this is what Hernalt calls, "...being taken in by the magic with willing disbelief, while also seeing through the magic." (I hope you understand what I'm saying...I don't feel I've described it very well!)

To answer the question: I'm the Mon Cal sitting in the screen right seat with my back to the camera. I have no idea who the Mon Cal in the helmet is, but he's a lot smaller than Ackbar, so that narrows the field a bit in identifying him. When you guys talk to smaller people who say they were Mon Cals, remember to ask them if they ever wore a silver hat/helmet.

Talking about height, I'm very happy that so many of you are now looking at the height of Mon Cals and Mon Cal performers, but having said that, I have a word of caution: don't obsess about the height of performers. Some of you are comparing Tim Rose, Tim Dry and myself, and trying to decide which Mon Cals we are - based on our heights, but that won't work because we're all more or less the same height. Here's why comparing us won't work:

Tim Dry is slightly taller than me, but in this photo (taken in Germany) we look the same height:

And I am slightly taller than Tim Rose, yet he looks taller than me in this photo (taken in Japan) because I'm sticking my head out slightly, whereas Tim is standing very straight:

Also: in my talks, I often talk about how I gave my 2 characters different “shapes”. Actors first of all look at their costume, and start from there. My Squid Head costume was flowing and graceful, so I decided to move as gracefully as possible, showing off the costume, and to make Squid Head as tall as possible, stretching every sinew and muscle in my body when the director called, “Action!”. Conversely, my Mon Calamari Officer costume was hunch-backed and pot-bellied, so I emphasized those qualities, sticking my head forward and stomach out, and hunching my shoulders - in other words, making him smaller. Therefore my 2 characters are very different heights, yet the height of the person inside the costumes - me - is the same.

I demonstrate that process during my talks, and did it in Chile, when lots of kids were in the front row. I told them I was going to magically make myself grow, and they watched, with open mouths and wide eyes, as I (seemingly) made myself about 3 inches taller, then about 6 inches shorter! Nothing magical about it at all - it’s just using my body - but it does look magical. Try it yourselves and you'll see what I mean.

So, remember my Mon Cal IS smaller than my Tessek.

My point is: when I told you to consider the heights of performers and Mon Cals, I was mainly thinking of identifying the smaller performers and smaller Mon Cals...Tim D and I can't be the smaller Mon Cals, so you should look at the smaller performers and extras for those parts.

(I don't think I've explained that well. Do tell me if I've confused you!)

I have to admit I never noticed the Mon Cal in the hanger before! Sorry Hernalt, I have no idea who it is, but it's a smaller person in a camouflage costume, so I would think it's an extra. If you can tell me the date(s) on the call sheet(s) for that scene, I'll tell you if it was filmed after we Mime Artists and Puppeteers had finished working on the film.

Finally, as the holidays are nearly here, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah/Happy Whatever, and all the very best for the new year. I hope all your Star Wars dreams come true in 2017 and I hope I meet EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU in the year ahead!

Gerald
    Last edited by Gerald_Home; 12-23-2016 at 07:24 PM.
    Gerald Home

One has to wonder: with 8 people in Mon Cal costumes, why would any more be needed? There are never more than 6 onscreen at any one time: during the Battle of Endor, the 4 of us on the Bridge with Ackbar and the 2 in the background. Yet many other people have said they were also Mon Cals, including Colin Hunt and Paul Davies, who I'm afraid I've never heard of before. No disrespect intended. I look forward to someone telling me what scenes they were in.
    Hey Gerald,

Just stumbled across this animated gif. I count 7 mon cal on the bridge scene in total (inc Ackbar). I just wanted to double check that this aligns with what you say here about the 4 on the bridge plus two in the background. In this scene at least it appears there are 3 with Ackbar and 3 in the background but I suppose it's just an earlier/later scene than the one you are referring to?

EDIT: Actually are there 4 in the background here? Could this explain the 8 mon cal constumes you referred to Gerald?

https://gfycat.com/YellowSmoggyElephantseal

Ben
    Last edited by lebenski; 01-10-2017 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lebenski View Post
    Hey Gerald,

Just stumbled across this animated gif. I count 7 mon cal on the bridge scene in total (inc Ackbar). I just wanted to double check that this aligns with what you say here about the 4 on the bridge plus two in the background. In this scene at least it appears there are 3 with Ackbar and 3 in the background but I suppose it's just an earlier/later scene than the one you are referring to?

EDIT: Actually are there 4 in the background here? Could this explain the 8 mon cal constumes you referred to Gerald?

Ben
    Hi Ben,

When I first saw your "animated gif", it did my head in (translation: it totally confused me) because I couldn't work out what it was. Is it a photo... a piece of film... a photo manipulated in some way (which I talked about in post number 365)? Now I've looked at it many, many, many times, and looked at the movie too, I realise it's actually footage from the movie.

Before I talk any more about it, the school teacher in me from over 40 years ago wants to urge you all to think about the words you use: "the bridge" is the part of the set where Ackbar, myself and other Mon Cals are seen. The Mon Cals behind us are not on the bridge - they're in the upper and lower levels of the briefing room. (If there are any sailors or space-travellers reading this, please tell me if I'm wrong about that!)

Ben, you're educated me. I hadn't realised before that there are only 3 of us Mon Cals with Ackbar in that scene in ROTJ, and that there are 3 behind us in the briefing room. I can't believe I never noticed that before. To answer your question: having watched the Mon Cal scenes again, I can say the "animated gif" scene is earlier in the movie than the scene I previously spoke about which has 4 Mon Cals plus Ackbar.

Re the question in your edit: I think there are only 3 Mon Cals in the briefing room in the "animated gif". It's really difficult to see, but I think the figure you think might be a 4th Mon Cal is a human. I've also looked at still photos from this scene and if you look at the lower legs of this mystery figure on the upper level of the briefing room, it looks like his trousers are tucked into his socks, which we Mon Cals didn't do, and his shoes are a different colour from our Mon Cal shoes. But I repeat, it's really difficult to say for sure. That's how I see it though.

By the way, to be clear, I never said there were 8 Mon Cals: I said a Japanese fan asked me if I knew who the 8 Mon Cals were. I don't know if he was right or wrong about the number.

Hope all that makes sense.

Interesting stuff. Thanks Ben.

Gerald
    Last edited by Gerald_Home; 01-12-2017 at 08:41 AM.
    Gerald Home

Quote Originally Posted by lebenski View Post
    Hey Gerald,

Ben
    Did any one else notice in this clip just as Ackbar moves across in his chair that behind the Mon Cal on the right there is movement behind him like someone is walking onto the set, but Ackbar's movement stops you being up to see who it is, is it a crew member or another Mon cal?!?

Hi Ben,

When I first saw your "animated gif", it did my head in (translation: it totally confused me) because I couldn't work out what it was. Is it a photo... a piece of film... a photo manipulated in some way (which I talked about in post number 365)? Now I've looked at it many, many, many times, and looked at the movie too, I realise it's actually footage from the movie.

Before I talk any more about it, the school teacher in me from over 40 years ago wants to urge you all to think about the words you use: "the bridge" is the part of the set where Ackbar, myself and other Mon Cals are seen. The Mon Cals behind us are not on the bridge - they're in the upper and lower levels of the briefing room. (If there are any sailors or space-travellers reading this, please tell me if I'm wrong about that!)

Ben, you're educated me. I hadn't realised before that there are only 3 of us Mon Cals with Ackbar in that scene in ROTJ, and that there are 3 behind us in the briefing room. I can't believe I never noticed that before. To answer your question: having watched the Mon Cal scenes again, I can say the "animated gif" scene is earlier in the movie than the scene I previously spoke about which has 4 Mon Cals plus Ackbar.

Re the question in your edit: I think there are only 3 Mon Cals in the briefing room in the "animated gif". It's really difficult to see, but I think the figure you think might be a 4th Mon Cal is a human. I've also looked at still photos from this scene and if you look at the lower legs of this mystery figure on the upper level of the briefing room, it looks like his trousers are tucked into his socks, which we Mon Cals didn't do, and his shoes are a different colour from our Mon Cal shoes. But I repeat, it's really difficult to say for sure. That's how I see it though.

By the way, to be clear, I never said there were 8 Mon Cals: I said a Japanese fan asked me if I knew who the 8 Mon Cals were. I don't know if he was right or wrong about the number.

Hope all that makes sense.

Interesting stuff. Thanks Ben.

Gerald
    I’m glad that I could help Gerald although I feel like this only deepens the mystery haha!

I want to tell you about a Star Wars book, which I know a lot of SW fans don't know about, and I also want to tell you about a Star Wars personality, who I think you should know about.

First of all, the book, The Making of Star Wars Return of the Jedi, edited by John Phillip Peecher, published in 1983:

It's a fantastic book, full of behind-the-scenes information, the kind I know you like. In particular, I want to tell you about the telexes Stuart Ziff (who I've mentioned before) and a lady called Patty Blau sent to each other during filming in 1982. Patty was in California, and Stuart was here in the UK at Elstree Studios, working with Phil Tippett's team. Together, I reckon Stuart and Patty knew everything there was to know about the creatures in ROTJ, as you can see in the book.

Patty went on to have a wonderful career at ILM, working on many films you know. Here's her IMDB page, where she's called Patricia Blau. Scroll down the page and you'll see she's credited mostly as ILM senior staff, and click onto Miscallaneous Crew to see how she's credited on ROTJ - as creature coordinator:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0087881/

As "creature coordinator", I guess it was her job to get the creatures to the UK for filming, so I'm sure she would know about the creatures you still have questions about. I have often mentioned Patty/Patricia to fans at events and not a single one has ever heard of her. I don't know if she's still around, but I suggest you find out about her, try to contact her, and Stuart, of course.

Finally, here's a part of the book (on page 96) about the crates containing the creatures which had arrived in the UK from the US:

"Crate II contained Hoover the hand puppet with Yuzzum the marionette for company, plus ten feet of pipe for Yuzzum's operation. The box also contained a spear with skulls and hair, belonging to one Amanaman."

I don't know about you, but I find that fascinating, even though I don't understand the Yuzzum stuff, and I didn't know Hoover was a hand puppet!

By the way, I don't think this book has ever been re-published, which is a real pity. It would be great if it could come out again for the 35th anniversary next year.

Over and out.

Gerald
    Last edited by Gerald_Home; 01-18-2017 at 06:33 PM.
    Gerald Home

LOVED this book as a kid. Need to see if I still have it. I know I have the one for ESB.

I think Rinser may have relied on this book as well for his Making Of book that came out a couple of years ago.

Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast