Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebelscum Forum Upgrade Project (updated 8/31)

Rebelscum Forum Upgrade Project (updated 8/31)

And so it begins - as Philip mentioned in this thread, Rebelscum is about to embark on a big upgrade of our Forum server infrastructure and software. It's my intention to chronicle this upgrade in a kind of blog by updating this post.

6/16/2011
    Hardware has arrived at Philip's workshop! Not much to see but here are a few pictures.

6/18/11
    The rest of the server hardware arrived and Philip got it built and the OS installed. I've now got remote access and I'm working on getting the web server, database etc up and running.

6/20/2011
    Good progress today, despite having almost no time to work on the server I got a full copy of the current system running on the new box. It's FAST, and this is running over Philip's workshop internet connection (Charter cable) rather than our dedicated host pipe that we will be moving to. From an admin perspective, managing this new box is going to be a breeze compared to the old one as we're using a much newer operating system and it's one I'm more familiar with. 4 times the memory, 8 times the processing power and infinitely more hard drive space. I can't wait!

Minor late 6/20 update, VBulletin is now installed and functioning. Tomorrow, importing the current data...yikes!

6/22/11 update
    Slow couple of days working on importing the old database into the new VB format. It's working but importing 4,500,000 posts takes a while. The bulk should be done by 8 tonight and then we're going to finally get a chance to see what we're working with here Just going through the administration options of VB is daunting - it's like flying a space shuttle compared riding the tricycle that is UBB Threads.

6/23/11 Update
    Lots of work today (in between REAL work) - finished the first import, it took 22 hours! That'll take some tuning. Had to manually create all of the categories and move the forums into them which took about 2 hours. Just another step on the list of things we have to do before "go live" Hit a few minor snags with the way VB does things that will need to be ironed out - nothing too major, but changes to the way people are used to things working. Overall I'm happy to get the first import finished and be working on a usable system. It shows that this upgrade is actually do-able!

7/3/11 Update
    Sorry for the lack of updates, lots going on in the background and I've been preparing to go on vacation.

Today we finished a complete 2nd pass of the import and also completed a full import/upgrade of Photopost (now version 7.1) including integration into VBulletin - very exciting! This is a major milestone - the server will now be powered off and shipped to it's final destination (good timing since I'll be gone all week enjoying Universal Studios Florida). Once the server lands and is configured we will take yet another copy of the UBB database (gotta stay as current as possible) and sync up the Photopost directories, then do yet another practice import. At the same time we will allow Chris (our graphics guy) his first look at the newest version of VBulletin (he's already been looking at 3.6 to get a head start).

Basically we're just trying to streamline the process so we have as little downtime as possible during the "go live" process. This is where my "real" job and 'Scum cross paths - I just put a new $7m hardware/software system into production for my employer and will employ many of the same techniques to allow for as seamless a transition as we can. Obviously there will be a period where we have to take a snapshot of UBB as it stands and use that for the final transition. At that point we may shut down UBB or we may just leave it up with the understanding that any posts made after that point will be lost after the upgrade. Things like that prove tricky when dealing with trades, private messages etc so there has to be some caution.

That's it for now, hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend.

8/11/11 Update
    Long time no update! That doesn't mean we haven't been busy though. I'm currently importing what will hopefully be the final test pass of the current database into the new system. We've made a lot of progress and I don't think it'll be too long before we can get this thing live - no date yet and we'll be sure to give you plenty of notice. We ran into some major issues importing the PMs (was going to take 300 hours) but that's been solved. Graphics are being worked on as we speak and I love what I've seen so far. I'll try to post more frequently during this pass and hopefully give people a bit more insight into what we're dealing with Also for this pass we upgraded VB to 4.1.5 which fixes some bugs and patches security holes (which is one of the big reasons we decided on VB in the first place).

8/31 Update
    We decided to do one more pass then we'll probably open the forums up as a demo so you guys can help find any problems. Won't be long now...
    Maybe I'm an Admin still? Who knows!

Re: Rebelscum Forum Upgrade Project (updated 6/16)

Nice! Can't wait to see the progress.
    TK/TB/CC-5400
    Check out my Collection
    Feedback
    Join the Anime thread!

How about a pic of the current RS server? Lets see the dinosaur.
    TK/TB/CC-5400
    Check out my Collection
    Feedback
    Join the Anime thread!

Quote Originally Posted by deathstar1000
    How about a pic of the current RS server? Lets see the dinosaur.
    That's at our co-location host so we don't have a pic, sorry.

Exciting times and thanks for this blog style update, it will be fun to keep track of

I might take a screenshot of my online home for the last few years before it gets it's long overdue update
    Happy buyers, happy sellers >> RS Feedback
    All you ever wanted to know about Trilogos >>www.trilogo.info
    Things I'm looking for >> WTB:ALL 8D8 Pre Prod!

Look at all the fun yall are going to have!
    I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.

The server next to the Terminator Skull just makes me laugh...will the new server be named Skynet, Jr?
    VDC's Trader Feedback
    WTB/WTT - nothing at this time

Quote Originally Posted by Val_Da_Carr
    The server next to the Terminator Skull just makes me laugh...will the new server be named Skynet, Jr?
    It's only a matter of time before the machines become self aware and try to kill us all, it's a sign lol

Progress!

Very happy to hear this is happening. I remember asking Wise if he was going to update the program years ago.

So for what I understand the new program will look like SirSteves right?
    I believe the OT is all that is SW. Nothing else can ever be.

MOPAR OR NO CAR

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast