Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4181899091

Thread: What are you reading now? V.3

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzzler View Post

Choices of One is one of my favorite books and the follow up to Allegiance. Both of these books are very high on my list. They contains characters that are familiar to a movie only crowd, and develop in universe characters that were very enjoyable additions to SW. A great balance of plot and action. I would only read Choices of One after reading Allegiance. It is in effect a part two, in that it is a continuation of the activities of certain characters, not so much as Allegiance ended as a cliffhanger and Choices continues from that very moment.

For my tastes of your list, Choices of One (after Allegiance) is the highest on my all time favorites list.
    Then The Paradise Snare and the rest of the Crispin trilogy are also well thought of on my list.
    Probably Scoundrels next and then Revan, with Crucible last.

Allegiance and Choices of One are perhaps my second favorite EU story line ever. Certainly in my top 5. But everybody has different preferences, and you have to know what sort of stories you best enjoy.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know Allegiance was part of the Choices of One. I'd been eyeballing both books but had seen mixed reviews.
    Plus, having Zahn pen them gives me a bit more confidence.
    Ordered a used hardback of Allegiance and it just showed up today, and the Choices of One is on the way as well.

I'll look into the other ones as well once I get through these.
    If you have any other suggestions, feel free to recommend!
    MOC? We don't need no steenkin' cards!
    My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by HappyNoodleBoy View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't know Allegiance was part of the Choices of One. I'd been eyeballing both books but had seen mixed reviews.
    Plus, having Zahn pen them gives me a bit more confidence.
    Ordered a used hardback of Allegiance and it just showed up today, and the Choices of One is on the way as well.

I'll look into the other ones as well once I get through these.
    If you have any other suggestions, feel free to recommend!
    I know this is a 'What are you reading' topic but this is in reply for suggestions on reading. Feel free to skip over if you aren't interested. By the way, I know I write a lot. With the EU, it came about easily.

When the EU still counted, we used to have some good discussions in here. I'll link in some past posts, maybe even some reviews of specific books. It's a lot of info that I already wrote out before. I've spoken a lot in different areas, and linking in is faster than starting from scratch. It'll be a scattering from across the EU. As I touched on here, I usually started with an explanation that you should have an idea for a focus, a time period, certain characters perhaps, as well as the type of story you best enjoy. No sense wasting time on political intrigue if you prefer ships and space battles and big action.

These two posts contain a lot of advice on how to read the EU and enjoy it the most. Pre Disney EU. Both topics contain good discussion from the points I linked to the topic's end. A number of books get mentioned as well.

This reply was to a request for PT and OT ties ins (especially after RotJ).
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthrea...1#post18986201

This member was not very familiar with the EU and wanted to read multiple story lines at once to 'catch up', asking about reading the X-Wing series alongside other novels. I address the X-Wing series and reading the EU in general.
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthrea...1#post19040227

Empire and Rebellion: Razor's Edge
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthrea...1#post19259470

Some quick reviews on the Old Republic era:
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthrea...1#post19120246

Honor Among Thieves:
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthrea...1#post19362108

My review of Kenobi that I wrote on the Barnes and Noble website:

As a kid I never was that interested in Ben Kenobi. As I grew older I began to admire Obi Wan for his strength of character, perseverance, composure, and wit. I began to see that he had a tremendous strength and truly was among the greatest of all Jedi ever.
    In Kenobi, JJM displays this strength of character excellently, and I believe he has done great honor to the character Obi Wan Ben Kenobi in the entire lore of Star Wars.
    As it has been said, the story feels more like a western than Star Wars and I would agree. JJM uses quite a few stereotypical elements from westerns, but the bulk of them are used with well thought out tweaks that fit with the story he is creating. They do not feel like token additions to thump us over the head with the message THIS IS A WESTERN, YOU DUMMY.
    There are different categories of westerns, and JJM takes elements of them all. He uses the groups of people; good guys, bad guys, and the 'posse out for revenge' that can be found among John Wayne westerns, as well as the elements of the loner style that Clint Eastwood mainly made. The guy trying not to join the group, but follow his own mission amid interruptions. Being drawn into situations to help those who need it, while trying to juggle his own agenda and remain unnoticed. The widowed mother and daughter (usually daughter first) who fall for the hero.
    There are many more aspects used from the world of westerns, and being a fan of westerns greatly helped me to recognize these elements as well as appreciate the quality with which he utilized them. Besides doing great justice to the character of Obi Wan, JJM has crafted a very good western story. And these two separate areas of interest have blended together to create one of the best standalone Star Wars stories that I have read in the entire EU.
    JJM has created a very involved story on Tattooine with people and a way of life that I suspect none of us would have thought of, and used the elements we would have thought of, in ways we wouldn't have expected. For a big desert ball of a planet, he has pulled an entire community out of nowhere and made it believable. I am very much impressed with what he has created with Kenobi.

I didn't even get into Republic Commando, but that may be a bit hardcore with new characters and themes. Likewise, the further past RotJ you get, the stories fall into long arcs, and in general I stay away from recommending them unless you know you are really into the EU. Not because they are bad, but because of the commitment needed. But if I were to, I would mainly say read them in chronological order, as post RotJ really builds upon itself series after series. Anything you read from later in the time line may ruin a previous series that you've skipped over.

This should give you plenty of ideas to keep you going for a while.
    Last edited by Sizzzler; 06-01-2018 at 12:58 AM.
    Republic Commando; greatest EU storyline ever. Its failure to complete is a genuine literary loss.
    Now the entire EU's failure to continue, to even matter, is a greater loss.
    My Feedback Thread In Here ---> http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1084715/

Stormtrooper: Beyond the Armor.

Just finished Honor Among Thieves, now on Revan.
    "Impressive. Most impressive."

Last night I started reading Darth Maul Lockdown for paperback.

Earlier today I read another 100 pages so I'm about done with the book.

I might finish reading the rest later tonight or tomorrow.

Then I just might start reading Anne Rice's Memnoch the Devil or Joe mckinneys zombie books starting with Plague of the Dead

I picked up and am reading Lords of the Sith (paperback). I started it while on vacation in Mexico during Memorial Day week but haven't finished it yet.
    "Who's scruffy looking!?!?"

Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4181899091