Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: SW Collection as An Investment

I buy SW things because I like it and sometimes I buy multiples because I like it so much. I was however tempted to sell my Elite Han blaster when I saw prices in the $3,000s... Only because I needed a new truck...
    Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.
    Kenny Powers Season 1 Episode 1

Collect what makes you happy, and if it happens to grow in value over time, there's a bonus

I didn't open Hasbro's for the most part(though I did Kenner back in the golden days); I was mostly MOC collector & bought doubles for cantina dioramas, etc. I sold a lot, and Sideshow too, to fund Hot Toys SW efforts. I don't regret it...they are the Crown Jewels of my collection. I still have vintage '78-85, and some still carded. To me...Hasbro's peaked with TAC, and they've been churning out crap 3.75 ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by RediNight View Post
    I buy SW things because I like it and sometimes I buy multiples because I like it so much. I was however tempted to sell my Elite Han blaster when I saw prices in the $3,000s... Only because I needed a new truck...

Sell the Gun and Get your truck my friend. You can still be a fan of Star Wars without owning every piece of SW junk that comes down the pike. These are great movies and it's fun to collect SW Stuff but they can and have caused many to spend way to much hard earned money on un-needed SW Merchandise. Just my Opinion!

Collections can be a great investment only if buy high grade items but buy what you like because the collectors world can be very fickle. If values go down then you have things you enjoy and wont get stressed out.
    Looking for vintage cardboard insert for X-wing Fighter...Help me Obiwan Kenobi!

My feedback http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1095297/#post19082163

in thinking more about this, IF you were going to buy SW for investment, you have to know whats going to hold its value. For the most part, if not the majority, modern star wars toys just arent worth it. Mass produced and I dont think they will ever hold the same effect or nostalgia as the first vintage SW toys did.

If you then decide to invest in vintage, the one factor working against you is degradation. If you are planning on holding on too some Yak Face MOCs or some of the rarer POTF MOCs or other rare and in demand MOCs, say foreign MOCs, they will all in time either yellow, crack, or the bubble fall off. So that AFA 85Y Yak Face, POTF is no longer worth 7,000 but say 50-60% less because the bubble slid off. Thats a terrible investment.

If it isnt that, how do you purchase correctly in the cycle? At one point, vintage SW collecting will once again go into a hiatus or slow down. Prices will come down. Demand for items will shift. Will it be pre-production that goes hot and heavy? Will it be displays? Will it be MOCs, etc etc etc.

I Guess if one had enough data on price points and had a way to measure demand by watching what items rise in price over others for the next cycle, perhaps it might be worth an investment but think about it, the dealers that are in this constantly flip and move the product, They dont sit on it for long periods of time.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456