Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Phantom Menace - 10 years later

The Phantom Menace - 10 years later

Lots of talk on the most recent FC and fandom in general about Episode 1, now that it is 10 years old. Also, there is that little movie that you might have heard something about, Fanboys, that brings us back in time to those days leading up to May, 1999.

Where were you in 1999? Did you wait in line? Has your opinion of TPM or it's characters changed over the years? Now that the saga is complete, do you see TPM in a different light?

I remember waiting in line for tickets. I think it was really my first introduction to the massive SW community, at least in person and not online. A week before the film opened, I went down to my local theater to get tickets. I thought I'd be showing up early about 9:00 am to get tickets. Little did I realize that there was a line of people there, some camped out over night, stretching back along the length of the 16 screen theater. But, it was great fun just waiting in the line there, talking SW with complete strangers. Everyone was laughing, joking, just having a great time. It's really an experience that wasn't duplicated until CIV.

I do have a more personal story connected to TPM as well. This was to be the first date with my wife. We went to the 11:00 am showing and then came back later for the 7:00 showing where my brother and his future wife joined us. It was really just a great day, and I was as giddy as a school boy the whole day. That actually is the reasoning behind my TK # when I joined the 501st. 5-99, May, 1999.
    "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong"
    "I like The Phantom Menace"
    TK-5990, Garrison Tyranus

Banned

Re: The Phantom Menace - 10 years later

Excellent thread, Paul!

Who can forget 1999? I remember it like it was yesterday.

My wife (then girlfriend at the time) arrived at the movie theater at 7:00am the day the tickets for TPM were to be released and was the very first person there. I unfortunately could not get off from work that day, so she was a real trooper and wanted to make sure we got our tix for the first showing.

After standing outside the theater for a few hours, a theater manager came out (there was already a long line that had formed) and informed the fans that the tix would not be going on sale till 3:00pm that afternoon. Undaunted, my wife remained first on line outside the theater and got our tix for the first showing (I think it was a 10:20am showing on release day).

Man, I still can't believe TPM (and Celebration 1) is now 10 years old...

Great topic.

I actually didn't have to wait in line to get my tickets for Episode I. I won them off the local radio station after trying every hour on the hour all day long from 6:00am to 9:00pm. I took my Dad to the absolutely giant theater in Ocoee, FL where the tickets were for. We got in line around 10:00am and where the first two in line. Less than two minutes after we started the line, five other people showed up. We had a blast waiting around with everyone playing board games and listening to the soundtracks of the OT. They let us in one hour prior to the midnight showing. My Dad took a nap and I talked to other fans until the film started.

Here we are, ten years later and I remember that like it was yesterday. I appreciate all of the Star Wars movies and Episode I was no exception. I was just thrilled to have another one to watch and there were so many cool moments I remember enjoying back then that I still love today.
    Convention Autographs & Internet Sales - Official Pix by C2 Ventures
    Administrator - The Registry
    Co-Founder - Star Wars Grand Florida Alliance
    President - Tampa Star Wars Club

What a great thread!

The release of TPM was a particularly trying time for me; 1999 was the year I did my medical internship, and it was one of the harshest, most exhausting years of my life. Knowing that Episode I was coming was one of the few things which kept me going on those trying times. Of course, you have to take into consideration that TPM opened in Mexico on July 1st; yes, six weeks after it did in the States. Let me tell you, those were the longest forty-two days of my life, and I had the darnedest time trying to stay spoiler-free when the movie had been on general release for so long (and then I bought the soundtrack and read the track listing, but that's another story... ).

Anyway, July finally came, and I was dismayed to find that I had the night shift on the night I was supposed to go to the midnight showing. Deeply saddened, I accepted my fate and bought tickets for the next evening (I got off at five or so). About halfway through my shift, I casually mentioned to one of my doctor friends that my buddies were on line to see the movie at about that time and she replied "You wanted to go? If I had known, I'd have covered for you!" I could have killed her! I hadn't talked about anything else but Episode I for the last six months! Arrrggghhh!!

Anyway, I finally saw the movie with my then-girlfriend, now-wife, and we loved it. Hard to believe it's been ten years...

I think this was the first SW film I ever saw in theaters. I say this because the age at which I was introduced to Star Wars (my friend brought over ANH on VHS) is still unclear to me. It was either a year or so before TPM, or a few years later. If the latter, then I didn't actually see Episode I in theaters at all!

As for my opinion of the film, I think it is still very similar to how I saw it as a young kid. I loved it for what it was back then -- cool lightsaber battles and lots of Jar Jar laughs. Now, I see it as the necessary beginning to the saga that touched off many plot lines that the other five movies would resolve. My opinion of the characters is basically the same. The only difference is that now I can see the more subtle motivations of the characters. I think that's more due to having seen all six films than being older.

Sorry I'm not able to provide more details. I was very young at the time and much of my life back then is now a blur.
    Eric Geller
    @ericgeller

Quote Originally Posted by Jorbex
    (and then I bought the soundtrack and read the track listing, but that's another story... ).

Oh, the soundtrack! Who could forget that spoiler heavy, nerd rage inducing soundtrack. I tried to be mostly spoiler free in 99, but had 2 big points ruined for me with the toys and the soundtrack.
    "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong"
    "I like The Phantom Menace"
    TK-5990, Garrison Tyranus

Quote Originally Posted by Murray1134
    but had 2 big points ruined for me with the toys and the soundtrack.
    What toy spoiled a plot point for you? Was it the "AmiPadmadala" transformer?
    Eric Geller
    @ericgeller

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Murray1134
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorbex
    (and then I bought the soundtrack and read the track listing, but that's another story... ).

Oh, the soundtrack! Who could forget that spoiler heavy, nerd rage inducing soundtrack. I tried to be mostly spoiler free in 99, but had 2 big points ruined for me with the toys and the soundtrack.
    I hear ya, Paul. That CD will go down in infamy for lots of fans.

My worst spoiler (and still to this day) was seeing Maul ignite his double-bladed saber after the Theed hangar doors opened. I saw it on channel 7 at the end of an Eyewitness News episode.

Ruined the coolest moment in the entire SW saga IMO for me, and touched off my utter hatred for spoilers and movie trailers.

Back in '99 I was all of ten years old... man that was a long time ago.

Anyway, I didn't get to see the movie in the theaters because my parents (at the time) were way super conservative Baptist. They still are but they've loosened up slightly. But at the time we weren't allowed to go to the theaters to see movies. That's what the preacher said, so that's how it was. At the time I wasn't super into Star Wars anyway. We'd rented the Special Editions on VHS when they first came out, and I liked them, but I wasn't full into Star Wars.

Then TPM came out on VHS and I borrowed it from my friend who had it. I was hooked. I must have watched that movie like ten times that week. From then on (much to my parent's dismay) I was a Star Wars geek. I haven't looked back since.
    It's not wise to upset a wookiee.

I also was in school, studying hard, and with a very pregnant wife (due on June 2nd), I did not go to a midnight showing. However, my wife really wanted me to get to see the "first" showing, so she suggested we go to the first showing on the morning of the release of the movie (I still haven't told her about the midnight showing).

There were hardly any other people there. The music came on and Jessica started covering her belly. You see, the music was "too loud" for the baby. The movie was great. I loved Jar Jar and all. I was on the edge of my seat from the beginning of the show -- Abbey was kicking her mom (from the inside), and Jessica was concerned because of the volume. All in all, we had a good time, though Jessica decided not to watch it again in the theater while she was pregnant.

Her parents and one of her sisters came to visit the next week and I went with her dad and her sister to a 7:00 show. The place was packed! Lots of fun seeing it with other people. I saw it a third time with some friends down the street.

Abbey was born on June 4th.
    And she not only likes Star Wars and Jar Jar, but "Corn on the Cob". Maybe the music was a bit loud. (Thanks Tallest Jawa for the lyrics...and Shirtless Palpatine)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast