Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow's display area, work in progress (05/09/10)

Shadow\'s display area, work in progress (05/09/10)

These are some images from my newest display area that I just set up in my home. This is the first of many such display cabinets that I am now planning and putting up to finally better organize the display of my collection.

A big shout of thanks to Mister_Gosh for his assistance with selecting the Ikea Besta line of display cabinets which I have now adopted with their Tombo glass doors.

Here is what I have completed so far.

Because of the highly reflective nature of the acrylic case and the glass doors of the display cabinet I'm getting a lot of reflections that are not easily compensated for with out draping the entire room in black for these photos. I also had to shoot these images with a wide angle lens because of the physical size of the cases, they are huge in scale and I couldn't get far enough back for the proper lens perspective in my room.

For perspective that Ikea Besta cabinet is 47 inches across.

This is the first of many display areas that I'm currently setting up during the recent lull in prop releases. I like mixing up the media which is what I plan to do with all of my SS and MR prop displays.

My latest display base from Stompin' Ground. Definitely purchasing more display bases from John as I setup my second set of cabinets.

*Update 6/13/2008*
    These are some of the images from my "Phase 2" of building up my display cabinets. Most of these displays are still in transition as I wait for more of the multi-saber display bases that I'm having built by Stompin' Ground. In my "Phase 3" I will be adding another wall display cabinet as those shown; I still have a lot of items not shown still waiting for their displays while also building in room for planned additions. I'll be updating these images as I replace their display bases with the final items.

Here is another angle of my Besta cabinet displays. This is still a work in progress, not all of my items are in their final displays yet.

(Updated 6/13/2008) New display base for the saber and blaster.

(Updated 06/29/2008)

(Updated 07/19/2008)

Updated 12/22/2008:
    Time to update again, many new items have arrived, here is the biggest so far.

R2 sentry duty, guard my collection!!

Updated 12/24/2008:

Here is the YouTube link to a 4 minute video I shot of my R2 to show the lights and sound function together.

(Updated 01/23/2009) Here are some updated pics of my newly corrected R2.

Updated 12/26/2008:

Here are my two examples of head swapping to make new characters.

Updated 01/17/2009:

Okay, here are my images of the Capt. Antilles 1:6 from Sideshow from my own collection.

Star Wars collector since 1977.
    Life or Death? Star Wars collecting is much more serious than that!
    My partial collection

Re: Shadow\'s display area, a work in progress

VERY NICE!!!

Very nice. Of all the mixed media displays, this one looks most like a museum exhibit. I thought these were pics from the Magic of Myth.

Great idea on the forest backdrop on the Scout Trooper!

Are you using Non Lighting or something else?

Keep up the good work!

Look's really good,well displayed and nice use of space.Is that a empty stand behind the BD Maul?I look forward to the progress as it unfolds.

about time you got your own thread

cant wait to see more

Quote Originally Posted by DarthInwah
    Great idea on the forest backdrop on the Scout Trooper!

Are you using Non Lighting or something else?
    For the forest backdrop I took some stock photography manipulated them in PSP 12 and output them to a digital large format plotter. Then the print is surface mounted to black foam core boards. I have some Hoth film images ready to do the same thing with my AT-AT v1 and am planning an ESB asteroid backdrop for my Falcon.

The lighting I'm using is the Ikea Grundtal. I looked at several options and decided these would work best for me. They are 10w quartz lamps with extremely low heat output. I tested them thoroughly by holding my hand for some time directly under them to check their heat output. I can touch the glass lens on their cases which gives an idea how low heat they are. They can be purchased in packs of three and combine six each to a single power distribution block/AC cord. They have individual automatic inline fuses on each light.

I have them mixed with one or two lights per shelf compartment depending on what I'm lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterthc
    Look's really good,well displayed and nice use of space.Is that a empty stand behind the BD Maul?I look forward to the progress as it unfolds.
    My next sets of cabinets will be connected to the right of this set with the same width, but I will be going vertical in height with them. For this cabinet I needed a base for the Scout trooper.

The empty space behind the BD Maul is actually where I have my Full Size Maul LE which actually fits width wise without the acrylic covers. I'm currently trying to make contact with Kodofett to have one of his dual tier display bases custom made for my BD and full size Maul sabers with a narrower width, tentatively slated for that space. When I get my next set of display cabinets set up I'll probably move them to the new cabinet to display them together with my SS 1:6 Darth Maul. When I do that I'll just put another double tiered saber combination in that space or one of my Han ANH blasters. I'll display the other Han ANH blaster with SS 1:6 ANH Han to be released soon, again in the next phase of Besta cabinets.

I'll be updating this thread as the whole project progresses.
    Star Wars collector since 1977.
    Life or Death? Star Wars collecting is much more serious than that!
    My partial collection

That display is gorgeous!

I'm diggin' that case for the SSC PF Biker Scout.

MORE PICS! MORE PICS!
    Click to see-----> The King!

Great looking display! I really love the forest background on the SS Biker! That is a truly impressive piece!
    -GoldLdr
    WTB: MR SE Luke ANH Plaque/CoA, SE Leia Blaster Plaque/CoA
    My collection

Wow...that's an absolutely amazing display, Shadow. The lighting, in particular, really enhances the aesthetic value of your collection.

Of course, the crown jewel has to be the SS PF Biker Scout. It's a thing of beauty.
    "No, ex-degenerate, man. 8 a.m. tomorrow, I'm a senior. I've got one year to make it all work. And that's what I'm gonna do. Make it work." - Johnny

That's an awesome display - the lighting really tops it off - beautiful!

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast