PDA

View Full Version : More BADGE Info

Anne
05-17-2007, 09:37 PM
I sent this via email, put am also posting here:

Subject: More OPX Badge Information
Date: May 17, 2007 6:29:11 PM PDT
To: anne@officialpix.com

I want to clear up some things about the badges. I know it's confusing. First, understand that GEN CON and OFFICIAL PIX are two different entities that have nothing to do with one another except this badge exchange situation.

Here are some definitions:
------------------------------
1. Celebration IV 4-Day Admission Badge. You bought this from GEN CON. It will have Darth Vader on it. Let's just call it the '4-Day Badge' for short.

2. Celebration IV Volunteer Badge. This is also a GEN CON badge. I don't know what character is on it. Let's call it the 'Volunteer Badge' for short. This badge carries all the same privileges as the 4-Day Badge. Plus it may get you in special Gen Con lines too!

3. Official Pix Name Badge. This is a laminated badge that I've made for you by hand! It's cool with the CIV logo and a bar code for your special number and, or course, your name. This badge has nothing whatsoever to do with Gen Con. 'Name Badge' for short (the other badges don't have names on them.)

And here's the nitty gritty on what badge does what where:
1. When you get to the convention center you will either already have your 4-Day Badge (because Gen Con mailed it to you) or you will have to pick it up at the Gen Con Will Call booth. Since Gen Con was late on mailing badges it is my understanding that the lines at Gen Con Will Call will be terribly congested. You need to plan ahead for time to spend in this line.

2. You can work for Official Pix with your 4-Day Badge, no problems whatsoever, just keep it and go about your business.

3. UNLESS you have the first shift of ANY day. This is were the problem is. I need you in the autograph hall 30 minutes before the hall opens for business. If you have a plain jane 4-Day Badge you will be standing in a line with 1000's of other people to get into the convention center and I won't see you until well after the autograph hall has opened. Not cool.

4. So, Official Pix arranged with Gen Con to get Volunteer Badges for all of you. But wait! A Volunteer Badge won't get you in early either (Why? I don't know). So Official Pix arranged with Gen Con to let in anyone with BOTH a GEN CON Volunteer Badge AND an Official Pix Name Badge into the convention center early so that you can report to work. And yes, even if you're not working you can get in, but I didn't tell you that. No, you can not just print out your OPX schedule to show at the door. Gen Con was very hesitant to make this arrangement and will not be flexible. You MUST have BOTH badges on you to gain entry early.

5. OK, so if you need a Volunteer Badge you will need to give me your 4-Day Badge in exchange. Why? Because if you have two badges you can get twice the exclusives and that's not cool according to Gen Con and Lucasfilm. Or you can give one badge to a friend and that's not really ethical. So you will only have ONE Gen Con badge at a time, either the 4-Day Badge or the Volunteer Badge.

6. Also, in order to get the Volunteer Badge from me your 4-Day Badge must be UNPUNCHED. Meaning you have not yet purchased any of the exclusives. Why? Because you could use your 4-Day Badge to get the exclusives, then come get a Volunteer Badge and go get the exclusives AGAIN. And that is truly not cool.

7. So how do you exchange badges? Even though the Volunteer Badge is a GEN CON badge, you will not be able to get this at the GEN CON volunteer or will call booths. DO NOT GO TO GEN CON TO GET YOUR VOLUNTEER BADGE! Why? Because at C3 we entrusted Gen Con to issue our volunteers badges and they mysteriously ran out of badges before about 100 of you could get them. So, I am personally in charge of getting you the badges this year.

8. So how do you exchange badges? YOU MUST BRING A PHOTO ID so I can verify who you are!!!
OPTION A: On Wednesday 3-6pm, at the convention center, somewhere NEAR Gen Con Will Call, Official Pix will be checking in volunteers and distributing pre-paid coupons to customers. Gen Con tells us it is somewhere NEAR the will call. Wish I knew more than that.
NEW!--> OPTION B: On Thursday 9-10am I am going to stand outside the entrance to the South Lobby and exchange badges. Gen Con may not approve of this but I feel it necessary to get you guys what you and I both need. If I'm not there Gen Con has pulled me away kicking and screaming.
OPTION C: Any time during exhibitor hours in the autograph hall at Volunteer HQ.

9. If you need to exchange, do so AS SOON AS POSSIBLE so that you can go and buy all your exclusives with your Volunteer Badge because remember I can't take a punched 4-Day Badge! You can then use your Volunteer Badge to purchase any of the exclusives at the convention. They will punch your Volunteer Badge just like they would have punched your 4-Day Badge.

But some of you want your 4-Day Badge back for a souvenir! While I understand this, let me encourage your to keep your Volunteer Badge. One, it makes things so much simpler. Two, that badge represents what you did to make this convention better for everyone! You should be proud of your Volunteer status and I would treasure the badge. But, if I haven't convinced you then here's the deal:
1. I can give you back your 4-day badge AFTER you have completed all your morning shifts BUT BEFORE the end of day SUNDAY. So, if you have a morning shift on Sunday, then NO you can not have your 4-Day Badge back. Why end of day Sunday? Because I have to return all the badges that I have (some combination of 4-Day & Volunteer Badges) back to Gen Con on Monday morning so that they can audit me.

2. Note that if you want your 4-Day Badge back, your Volunteer Badge must be UNPUNCHED. Meaning you have not yet purchased any of the exclusives. Why? Because you could use your Volunteer Badge to get the exclusives, then come get back your 4-Day Badge and go get the exclusives AGAIN. And that is more uncool than the previous uncool!

3. So yes, if you want your 4-Day AND want to buy the exclusives early then you have a problem. But you only have the problem if you have the first shift of ANY day. If you don't have first shifts, then just never exchange badges in the first place. But then you give up your Volunteer Badge priviledges. You must decide what is more important to you. It's much easier for me in ALL WAYS if you just keep your Volunteer Badge.

Hope this has cleared up some concerns, as always, contact me if you need more information.

darthvader1usa
05-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the additional info Anne http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JediMasterRainer
05-17-2007, 09:54 PM
Thank your for both this forum post and the email, Anne!

DarthBreezy
05-17-2007, 10:14 PM
You got it Anne! thanks!

Shivannd
05-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Anne you a lady and a scholar and dont let anyone tell you different because if they do they will have about 200+ OPX volunteers chasing after them.
Thanks for the additional information as well as the email.
Sorry I asked so many questions earlier but I guess everything is a work in progress. See ya Wednesday for the badge exchange.

wvstarwarsfan
05-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Look out Hilary Clinton...Anne for President in 2008!! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

rizzo3232
05-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Look out Hilary Clinton...Anne for President in 2008!! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

And youcould be her first LADY?
LOL
Just playing.
roomie

TJB_Jedi
05-18-2007, 12:30 AM
She don't need to be no st-i-i-inking president.... Don't you know she's already a Queen & the hall is her Queendom??? HAHAHA http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So sayeth, the Court Jester...

starwarslady
05-18-2007, 06:19 AM
4. So, Official Pix arranged with Gen Con to get Volunteer Badges for all of you. But wait! A Volunteer Badge won't get you in early either (Why? I don't know).

I have a feeling its because of all the people that signed up to volunteer with GenCon during C3, got the badge/t-shirt and never showed up to work. In fact one of my roommates from C3 did that.

And let's not forget that OPX has the reputation of having the best organized volunteer staff and being a haven from the craziness of the world outside the Autograph Hall (especially after C3).

Dustin
05-18-2007, 07:59 AM
What if I have a press pass?

;-)

( ducks as Anne throws lamp across room )

jkbobcat
05-18-2007, 08:01 AM
thanks for all of the info!! It sounds like Gen Con is just jealous that OPX gets all the best volunteers http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll be waiting outside Thursday morning. so as long as I find you and swap badges before Gen Con carries you away kicking and screaming, that means that I can attend the orientation that morning....right??

MaulMaus
05-18-2007, 04:34 PM
I have a feeling its because of all the people that signed up to volunteer with GenCon during C3, got the badge/t-shirt and never showed up to work.

I know of a few that did the same thing... Not good! I guess we'll have to wait and see how it goes this time with GenCon.

I'm going to have leave a couple hours earlier than I planned.. And hope I don't get stuck in that LA traffic! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/wink.gif Want to get that badge exchange out of the way on Wednesday afternoon if I can! Counting down big time now! http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

pumpkinking
05-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Let me see if I have this right.I land in LA around 10 am on Thrsday.Now I have to have Both Name and Volunteer Badge.To get them I need to meet with Anne.Wensday or Thursday out side the south hall from 9-10.Since I wont be there on any of the said times,How do I go about getting Both of the badges?Is there an entrance for Volunteers or will I just have to brave it out in the line with all of the other people waiting to get in?

DLoSith
05-21-2007, 07:32 PM
From what I got from Anne, if you can't do the badge exchange either Wednesday from 3p-6p or Thursday from 9a-10a, then you have to wait in the line with 1000's of other fans to get into the convention center and get your badge exchanged at Volunteer HQ in the Autograph Hall. It's a bit confusing, but Anne is really doing her best to accomodate all of our schedules. If you are scheduled for 1st shift on Thursday you may want to contact her about rescheduling.