PDA

View Full Version : Jyn Erso - Jedha

reyandbb8
09-22-2017, 11:10 AM
http://yakfaceforums.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/forcelink_jyn.png

darth_sidious
09-22-2017, 12:34 PM
Looks like the same RO Jyn figure with maybe a new head. I'm not sure who they think would be interested in seeing this figure again - or Jyn for that matter.

DarkManX
09-22-2017, 12:47 PM
Looks like the same RO Jyn figure with maybe a new head. I'm not sure who they think would be interested in seeing this figure again - or Jyn for that matter.

Not seeing anything really different that makes it worth getting it again. Definite pass for me.

Maverick10126
09-22-2017, 12:48 PM
Wow, complete waste of a slot.

Idpullthecurtain
09-22-2017, 01:25 PM
it makes sense to me.

reyandbb8
09-22-2017, 01:41 PM
http://yakfaceforums.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/forcelink_jyn.png

If they had added in her Baton or Death Star plans accessory, it would have made it worth getting.

DarkManX
09-22-2017, 02:22 PM

I agree but the Force Link is the accessory. Hasbro just wanted to make sure and have a major character fit the new playability

kyboliciousfett
09-22-2017, 02:36 PM
I'm afraid I'll have to pass on this one. Baze and Chirrut too. I just can't see plunking down full prices for re-releases when i scored all at bargain prices. The Force Link gimmick might be ok, don't have it yet myself, but its not worth rebuying figures with little to no new tooling or updates for.

Julythrunov
09-22-2017, 05:26 PM
This figure is falling off the shelves on clearance here.

Julythrunov
09-22-2017, 05:27 PM
it makes sense to me.

If this figure ships soon...it's going to be on a peg for full price adjacent to the Rogue One card version on clearance.

Teedo
09-22-2017, 06:28 PM
This is an odd move for Hasbro. This figure was released solo, with the AT-ACT, in the Jedha revolt 4-pack, and now solo again. Perhaps it will include all of the memorable lines from the trailer that were not in the movie :P

ZiggyStarkiller
09-22-2017, 11:53 PM
I actually don't have that Jyn figure yet, but her character was pretty dull so I'm not interested in this one.

Idpullthecurtain
09-23-2017, 02:06 AM
If this figure ships soon...it's going to be on a peg for full price adjacent to the Rogue One card version on clearance.
but you can understand the thinking behind wanting to make sure to have Jyn on pegs at the moment

Maverick10126
09-23-2017, 09:05 AM
but you can understand the thinking behind wanting to make sure to have Jyn on pegs at the moment

Putting a character on the pegs that audiences were just lukewarm on? Yeah makes sense to me....

Masterfett
09-23-2017, 09:43 AM
And that is currently available at clearance...

darth_sidious
09-23-2017, 11:03 AM
Rey was HTF during the initial TFA launch, so they oversaturated with Jyn, and apparently are under the impression that the demand remains. I don't think the ForceLink gimmick will move this figure, and the last thing we need in the second wave of TLJ figures is a guaranteed pegwarmer. This slot would have been much better with a Rebels character.

R1G4R3PO
09-23-2017, 11:52 AM
So, at hasbrocon, did Hasbro give any indication when this wave should be available? Seems like different reputable online sites have varying eta's from Sept to dec.

indysolo007
09-23-2017, 12:06 PM
And that is currently available at clearance...

Any time people see a Jyn on clearance at target or Walmart they should tweet it to Hasbro

DarkManX
09-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Hasbro counting on parents being fairly ignorant of what their kid's collection is comprised of and kids going "mom! dad! This one talks!".

Maverick10126
09-23-2017, 02:02 PM
Rey was HTF during the initial TFA launch, so they oversaturated with Jyn, and apparently are under the impression that the demand remains. I don't think the ForceLink gimmick will move this figure, and the last thing we need in the second wave of TLJ figures is a guaranteed pegwarmer. This slot would have been much better with a Rebels character.

Apparently they don't understand that Rey and jyn are not Tue same at all....one is a charismatic character that people like despite her being a Mary sue...the other is just a sour character that just sort of exists....and gives lame motivational speeches.

ZiggyStarkiller
09-24-2017, 09:05 AM
I mean just generally speaking I feel like Rey just "hit" a lot better with general audiences than Jyn did. All from personal experience but most people I know who say Force Awakens, Star Wars fan or not, liked Rey. On the other hand those same people had issues even remembering the Rogue One characters' names.

GNT
09-24-2017, 07:25 PM
There's more young girls/women dressed as Rey than Jyn at conventions/Sw events etc. Hasbro needs to keep the main characters constantly on the shelves so if a little kid goes by it's an instantly recognisable character. As a collector, I'll just pass on multiples unless there's a big change.

Clonesaurus_Rex
09-25-2017, 12:38 AM
Looking back, I think Hasbro must regret LucasFilm's decision of cutting Jyn out of the battle on the beach, and therefore, leaving her with only one major action scene that doesn't consist of being protected by someone else. Perhaps Jyn could have been a lot more popular if she stole the DS plans AND fought in the battle (as originally intended).

Maverick10126
09-25-2017, 10:28 AM
I'm pretty sure it has more to do with her personality being that of a stick in the mud....

Masterfett
09-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Like! ^

Yep, she just wasn't as personable as Rey. I guess that was her character. But if you want audiences to like someone, make them compelling at least.
I get that this was the dark days and all, but they needed someone with optimism. But everyone was doom and gloom and down & out feeling.
She was no Luke, ready to take on the whole Galaxy with eagerness!

Kareth
09-25-2017, 06:59 PM
Like! ^

Yep, she just wasn't as personable as Rey. I guess that was her character. But if you want audiences to like someone, make them compelling at least.
I get that this was the dark days and all, but they needed someone with optimism. But everyone was doom and gloom and down & out feeling.
She was no Luke, ready to take on the whole Galaxy with eagerness!

I found the character building lacking in RO. They could have easily made her charismatic and likeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick10126
09-25-2017, 11:16 PM
I found the character building lacking in RO. They could have easily made her charismatic and likeable.

Yup, Han was a pessimist in terms the rebellion...yet he was charismatic.

Had the movie been made ten years earlier she might have been borderline emo...lol.

indysolo007
09-28-2017, 07:00 PM
That jyn repack was a grrrreeeeaaat idea

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_41027.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_41027.JPG)

Utinniii
09-28-2017, 08:22 PM
I'd by that for a dollar!

Wookieman26
10-01-2017, 01:12 PM
Rey was HTF during the initial TFA launch, so they oversaturated with Jyn, and apparently are under the impression that the demand remains. I don't think the ForceLink gimmick will move this figure, and the last thing we need in the second wave of TLJ figures is a guaranteed pegwarmer. This slot would have been much better with a Rebels character. Replace her with Fenn Rau, and I'd be a happy man.

indysolo007
10-01-2017, 02:17 PM
This will go well with the Pegwarmers of Destiny endcaps.

Julythrunov
10-01-2017, 03:44 PM
Im curious as to how the destiny stuff is performing

bioforce
10-01-2017, 05:55 PM
I'll be getting her and the Rogue One 2 pack simply because they have force link. I need to have the talking version if it exists.

Glitch
10-02-2017, 10:30 AM
Unbelievably tone deaf move.

indysolo007
10-06-2017, 04:32 PM
So sad that Funko has a young Jyn but Hasbro doesnt

http://www.hottopic.com/product/funko-star-wars-rogue-one-pop-young-jyn-erso-vinyl-bobble-head/10990149.html?cgid=funko#cm_sp=MobileHomepage-_-Hero1-_-Funko&start=17

Maverick10126
10-06-2017, 05:23 PM
So sad that Funko has a young Jyn but Hasbro doesnt

http://www.hottopic.com/product/funko-star-wars-rogue-one-pop-young-jyn-erso-vinyl-bobble-head/10990149.html?cgid=funko#cm_sp=MobileHomepage-_-Hero1-_-Funko&start=17

I'm not missing a child jyn at all personally.

lordtyrannus
10-07-2017, 07:05 AM
I'm not missing a child jyn at all personally.

Yes, for a movie less than a year old, I think we've had enough Jyn figures.

darth_sidious
10-07-2017, 07:34 AM
Not only do we have plenty of Jyn figures, I don't see the need for a figure of her as a child. Ever since TFA and the movie-a-year plan, there's simply no way we're getting every character, especially one from a flashback scene that isn't action oriented. The same goes for her parents in their farm outfits - unnecessary in my opinion. Some figures / characters lean toward the boring side, and aren't viable with the type of basic figure line(s) we have now.

Maverick10126
10-07-2017, 09:17 AM
We're going to be drowning in Jyn's for years. She's a completely forgettable character. Describe her personality....scowls a lot???

indysolo007
10-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Not only do we have plenty of Jyn figures, I don't see the need for a figure of her as a child. Ever since TFA and the movie-a-year plan, there's simply no way we're getting every character, especially one from a flashback scene that isn't action oriented. The same goes for her parents in their farm outfits - unnecessary in my opinion. Some figures / characters lean toward the boring side, and aren't viable with the type of basic figure line(s) we have now.

but if we are forced to have a Jyn in this line I would have preferred a new version.

JVM
10-12-2017, 02:25 AM
We're going to be drowning in Jyn's for years. She's a completely forgettable character. Describe her personality....scowls a lot???
Having been abandoned in some way by the three people who played a role in raising her, only being taught advanced survival tactics and a hatred for the Empire and later, the formal Rebellion, all by people who didn't outwardly care for her and left her at a young age, Jyn wasn't able to trust people and doesn't feel a sense of loyalty. People with those kinds of trust issues have a tendency to fight back even to those who reach out, fearing they could be hurt again in some way or form. Basic psychology. Jyn can't trust anyone, nor any of the galaxy's major factions - so all she can do is try to survive in between the world around her. A lot of scowling, a lot of kicking, and a lot of blaster fire. Changing identities, escaping jail, avoiding entanglements. Unlike Leia or Rey, for example, she has no inherent sense of morality. Jyn doesn't care about anyone or anything, and she would sooner blaster you in an instant than let herself become attached. Friends are for weaklings. Survival of the fittest. Etc.

When the Rebels break her out, she refuses to even talk to them until she is captured again, and even then, is somewhat resentful to the mission they award her. She's cynical to Cassian's positive messaging about the Rebellion, even, but over the course of the mission on Jedha, she is forced to re-evaluate why her father and Saw left, and sees their dedication to the 'greater good' were all about protecting her in the end, and realizes they are both dedicated to a similar cause. Saw and Galen both nod towards themes of hope as well as sacrifice, and so by the time they return to the Yavin Temple, Jyn has chosen to pursue those same ideals - thus her echo of Cassian's words from before. When the Rebellion is reluctant to act, she showcases her newfound sense of purpose by imploring them to continue, but her independent streak recurs - she exhibits anger at the Rebellion for refusing to act, and is willing to go on a mission that she knows is critical without their permission. Cassian and the others' willingness to stand by her despite the Rebellion, meanwhile, shows that she can inspire - and accept - trust.

Jyn has some flaws as a character, and the film could've perhaps done more to illustrate her independence earlier in the film, but sometimes when a character doesn't seem intent on showing emotion, it's a creative choice and not strictly bad acting or writing, nor does it indicate a lack of personality. Edwards made the same creative decision in Godzilla 2014, where it was similarly perceived to be stilted acting. I think that was a worse case than R1, but it also shows a precedent.

I like the character and think Hasbro simply dropped the ball on creating good figures based on her in the basic line. Eadu Jyn is one of the worst figures I think they've released in that format, and Jedha Jyn has bad paint apps and is a little less than dynamic as a figure - especially for casual buyers who already brought the previous one. Both figures were also repacked which didn't help. I don't think the pegwarmer status is based on the character, given I've seen most R1 wave 1 figures pegwarming here or there.

but if we are forced to have a Jyn in this line I would have preferred a new version.
That would have been a good idea on Hasbro's part. They didn't repack the 5L/MS versions of Darth Vader or Yoda, for example.

JynForce
10-17-2017, 03:43 PM
Wow, lots of hate for my girl in here.... haha I'll be grabbing one of these because c'mon, it's Jyn, and I have the Force Link now so I can make her talk

DarkArtist
10-25-2017, 11:48 AM
Jyn's lines with the Force Link:

Rebellions are built on Hope

a squad is heading your way

Ok on my lead

We can fight this

we can stop them

blaster sounds and explosion sound

Maverick10126
10-26-2017, 12:23 AM
The problem with Jyn as a character is we never see any on screen development. Yes she has abandonment and trust issues, but we never see that. As a child she's told to go hide...which isn't abandonment it's protection. Cut to her in a cell. What do we know about our hero....nothing. She got arrested for something. What we eventually learn about jyn is based on other characters reading her history back to her. Or talking about their past history in the case of Saw. If you want to have a character have abandonment issues actually show the abandonment. Characters talking about character defining moments that happen off screen is poor delivery. I think jyn had the potential to be a fine character...but they didn't deliver. Instead someone has to read out loud to who the character is to the audience. It's just like the Obi-wan Anakin relationship in the prequels, they talk about past adventures and how they are good friends because of it rather than show it happening. In the OT we see Han save Luke's butt a couple of times and we get it, they bond over on screen moments. Saw and Jyn have a past relationship that we never see, they are left to talk about it. That's a huge missed opportunity. That's what we need to see, the emotions that come with growing attached to Saw only to have him let jyn down. That would harden anyone and had we actually seen that scene we would know who jyn is right away.

Imagine star wars if we skipped the Luke Owen argument about staying on for another season and instead Obi-wan said the expository dialogue "you want to learn about who your father was and get off this rock so come with me etc." All the punch of Luke being conflicted is gone. We don't see the build, hear him ask the questions about his father beforehand.

Or how about this. Obi-wan tells Luke they may have found a pilot but watch out, he's a little rough. I heard he killed someone in this very bar last week. That would suck if that's how we learned about Han. Instead we get an iconic scene with Han shooting greedo. We learn everything we need to know about who he is in that one moment.

Film is a visual medium. If you are talking about who the characters are you aren't properly utilizing the medium.

patrickdurfee
10-26-2017, 10:51 AM
Anyone else besides me notice that the Force Link Jyn figure has swivel boots? I think its neat. 7 points of articulation is good enough

Rushie
10-26-2017, 02:52 PM
7 points are good and all but swivel boots aren't much of an improvement. Make it hinged elbows or knees and we're talking :)

I've read somewhere around here that Hasbro is repeating history and we're currently in the EpI/PotJ era again, meaning good sculpts and slightly enhanced articulation after PotF2/2014-2016. Hopefully that means we're getting mainline SA again... after pre-posed magnetic action feature monstrosities for Solo (like the Saga/AotC line) and somewhat decent semi-SA figures with themed bases for Episode IX (like RotS)

reyandbb8
10-26-2017, 03:17 PM
Swivel boots is a kind of unusual choice.

Swivel wrists would have been better I guess.

Nighthawk
10-26-2017, 03:19 PM
Anyone else besides me notice that the Force Link Jyn figure has swivel boots? I think its neat. 7 points of articulation is good enough

Well, the guy on JTA completely missed it in his review. Wonder if he even bothered 'playing' with the figure since he doesn't like 5 POA figures and just posed it and took pictures.

I have the Walmart one already so not too keen on getting the 7 POA version.

vadersvette
10-26-2017, 08:59 PM
I don't think they are swivel boots. They are separate pieces, but mine appear to be glued in place. I tried twisting one, and it felt like I was going to break it off if I kept going.

elanmars
10-26-2017, 11:03 PM
Rey was HTF during the initial TFA launch

She wasn't. All around here, it was Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma that were the fast ones to be HTF at first...

...after the movie hit-right at Christmas time-THAT is when all of a sudden Rey was difficult to find. I had already gotten all the ones I wanted from Force Friday. Before the movie, she was not a challenge to find at all for me.

Places around here are still full of Finn's from that time though...

Nighthawk
10-27-2017, 01:54 PM
I don't think they are swivel boots. They are separate pieces, but mine appear to be glued in place. I tried twisting one, and it felt like I was going to break it off if I kept going.

Don't know about Jyn, but that's how some of these figures are. My Rey's leg was stuck at the hip and wouldn't move. Felt like it would break. I ran it under hot water and tugged at it a little as if I wanted to take it off and then it loosened up and I can move it now.

patrickdurfee
10-27-2017, 05:01 PM
Well it looks like swivel boots to me. Like I said 7 points of articulation is good enough for me anyway

JynForce
10-28-2017, 04:31 PM
Just noticed the swivel boots on mine too. I honestly don't feel that this was intentional- what's even the point? Swivel wrists yes, but her ankles? Only works if her knees bend, which they don't. I don't know maybe they just retooled the figure to add force link and made her boots separate pieces

Masterfett
10-28-2017, 07:44 PM
Probably. Because in the grand scheme, swivel ankles mean diddly.

Jabbaman
11-01-2017, 02:47 PM
I have the Eadu Jyn and that's enough for me. I honestly wish they would've made an OT Leia instead but that's just my opinion.

DarkArtist
11-02-2017, 07:10 AM
I have the Eadu Jyn and that's enough for me. I honestly wish they would've made an OT Leia instead but that's just my opinion.

I'd love to get more OT Leia's especially with the Force Link... We still need updated version of Ewok Dress Leia and Bespin Escape Leia

lordtyrannus
11-10-2017, 09:59 AM
Got this today, and I can tell you this--- the head/hair/face and overall paint apps are amazing looking. It's worth dropping your RO one for this one.

That said, the boots are absolutely NOT articulated on mine. They are separately molded pieces, but they don't swivel. I even heated them up to see if they're stuck; they still don't move. I remember at least one reviewer said they swivel. Anyone else have one to confirm this (for what it's worth)?