PDA

View Full Version : Poe's Boosted X-Wing & Poe Dameron (TRU)

GNT
08-31-2017, 08:45 PM
Toys R Us will have an exclusive Boosted X-Wing & Poe Dameron for $49.99 and will feature light and sound effects:

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/4908/medium/poe4.jpg
Thoughts on this item?

DonWanKihotay
08-31-2017, 08:52 PM
When starting a thread I do wish the mods would bring over discussion from previous thread.

It's a Poe Dameron's X-Wing with new Booster. The same micro-mold with a rubber nose from two years ago.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/medium/TLJ_TRU_xwing_LG.jpg

At least the paint job looks better.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhGpdh-89l4uqsRYu7zQd6sCFK4cz23BXM0nzkqFwe_bBvdg14Hudd3Mu USo this is a low res shot of the "booster" apparatus on the back end of Poe's X-wing. The toy makes it seem a bit larger I think. Will possibly have the electronic wrist gimmick incorporated into it.

Nice catch Nerdherfer

So will Boosted X-Wing and Poe Dameron get it's own thread.
He does have the removable helmet this time.

RogueKnite
08-31-2017, 08:53 PM
Not to be "that guy," but...

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT5LMVqM3GD6DpTtra/giphy.gif

DonWanKihotay
08-31-2017, 08:58 PM
But at least they straightened the laser cannons, and changed the rubber nose.

Oh wait no the didn't.

Wait ...Removable helmet! :awesome: ...of a figure you already have!

Deak_Starkiller
08-31-2017, 08:59 PM
Don't want to be the first one to say it, but watch out for potential fraud folks, I have a feeling there's going to be some swapping on this one.

Billy_Ray
08-31-2017, 09:04 PM
When starting a thread I do wish the mods would bring over discussion from previous thread.

Give GNT a break man, he's usually really good about doing just this...plus, a lot of stuff has been revealed today. He's probably busier than a one legged man in an *** kicking contest ;)

Julythrunov
08-31-2017, 09:06 PM
It's really weird that it's actually in the movie

DonWanKihotay
08-31-2017, 09:08 PM
Give GNT a break man, he's usually really good about doing just this...plus, a lot of stuff has been revealed today. He's probably busier than a one legged man in an *** kicking contest ;)
True!
It's all good.

jodo
08-31-2017, 09:12 PM
I was just at TRU last week, and they had no less than 8 of the TFA release...

GNT
08-31-2017, 09:21 PM

Thanks. I usually try and move comments into threads/around when I can but sometimes I'm unable to do so with all the new items revealed, trying to get threads up as soon as possible or else people get angry, checklists and index threads as well as other tasks. :)

JediDelight
08-31-2017, 09:23 PM
I really don't like when a design concept that work perfectly has a big gun added on to it or in this case a fifth thruster - and is considered all new. It seems like lazy design work. It seems like something a toy company would do. Re-sell last years transformer by including a new gun that also transforms into a small robot. And it breaks the imaginary reality of the movies. Is it realistic to think there is room to just add a new thruster on the back of an X-wing? What was already in that part of the ship? Surely not dead space. Can it just be removed and still work. Why not give us a new X-wing all together?

Maybe I'll absolutely love this in the movie. For now it's just a toy I can skip.

DonWanKihotay
08-31-2017, 09:37 PM
Is it realistic to think there is room to just add a new thruster on the back of an X-wing? What was already in that part of the ship? Surely not dead space.
Don'r know what all that is, but looks like it could legitimately accommodate a booster.

http://recurs.hisinsa.com/web/graficos/revell/detalles/06750_02.jpg

Batman
08-31-2017, 10:17 PM
Don'r know what all that is, but looks like it could legitimately accommodate a booster.

http://recurs.hisinsa.com/web/graficos/revell/detalles/06750_02.jpg

I don't remember the Hasbro one having rear landing gear???

Deak_Starkiller
08-31-2017, 10:25 PM
I really don't like when a design concept that work perfectly has a big gun added on to it or in this case a fifth thruster - and is considered all new. It seems like lazy design work. .

I'll be more curious how Fry and Remillard (Incredible Cross Sections) will modify this. To me, it's like putting a third warp nacelle on a Federation starship. (And yes, it went against Gene's rule, but not George if he had one to begin with). :P

DonWanKihotay
08-31-2017, 10:42 PM
I don't remember the Hasbro one having rear landing gear???
Never suggested this was the Hasbro one.
If you bother to read what I quoted, he's talking about justifying the booster addition for the design of the ship in the movie, and he asked if it was "realistic" based on what was back there.
The Revell model more accurately depicts that.

Batman
08-31-2017, 10:48 PM
Never suggested this was the Hasbro one.
If you bother to read what I quoted, he's talking about justifying the booster addition for the design of the ship in the movie, and he asked if it was "realistic" based on what was back there.
The Revell model more accurately depicts that.

Lol... really... ???

I simply asked as I don't have one, and if I asked, it's cause you never stated within the reply of the picture it's the hasbro one nor the reveal one.

Nighthawk
Love how the one they use in the ad has warped cannons

jrice73
I really don't like when a design concept that work perfectly has a big gun added on to it or in this case a fifth thruster - and is considered all new. It seems like lazy design work. It seems like something a toy company would do. Re-sell last years transformer by including a new gun that also transforms into a small robot. And it breaks the imaginary reality of the movies. Is it realistic to think there is room to just add a new thruster on the back of an X-wing? What was already in that part of the ship? Surely not dead space. Can it just be removed and still work. Why not give us a new X-wing all together?

Maybe I'll absolutely love this in the movie. For now it's just a toy I can skip.

Totally agree. Why would an X-Wing need a booster anyway since it's already got a hyperdrive and a repulsor lift for anti-gravitic propulsion. With both of those two systems, shouldn't it have as much speed or lift for atmospheric or space travel as it will ever need for any possible situation? Unless there is some explanation that is logical and well thought out for this thing in the film, then it's just really bordering on the absurd, especially since we haven't seen any other fighters in universe in any other prior film using a booster. That's something that just sticks out like a sore thumb for me since we're going off 40 plus years of this story. Crazy. And don't you just love the fact that Hasbro used warped cannons on that X-Wing for that photo. I guess they're preparing everybody for getting warped parts in this re-release. Hopefully for those who will buy this and want straight, unwarped cannons, Hasbro's customer service team will offer them like they did for the TFA release.

DonWanKihotay
08-31-2017, 10:50 PM
I'll be more curious how Fry and Remillard (Incredible Cross Sections) will modify this. To me, it's like putting a third warp nacelle on a Federation starship. (And yes, it went against Gene's rule, but not George if he had one to begin with). :P

I don't think the move need to be absolutely beholden to the cross sections interpretations, if they want to update a ship.
That said, looks like that section houses elements that feed into the engines. So adding a booster directly off them doesn't seem unreasonable.
As far as if there is room or something that would conflict with it, for it, the image I posted above above suggests it would work fine.

http://i.pinimg.com/736x/e8/33/97/e83397d5292f8ee91f8533d9c3711211.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DYMl5Os.jpg?1

jrice73
08-31-2017, 10:52 PM
But at least they straightened the laser cannons, and changed the rubber nose.

Oh wait no the didn't.

Wait ...Removable helmet! :awesome: ...of a figure you already have!

Best retort EVER!!!

JediDelight
08-31-2017, 11:06 PM
Just looked at the Incredible Cross Section. That area in the X-wing has the hyberdrive and the moving supports and hydraulics to open and close the S-Foils. I'm getting nerdy - but to add a jet engine into that mess means you'd need fuel to go through there. It would have to withstand the heat from the propulsion. Also the stress on the entire frame of the ship would be changed.

No doubt it looks like a third booster could be added to that area and it actually does't look bad. But it really doesn't make much sense. It's a small thing - and I haven't even seen how it's used in the movie - but until now Star Wars seems have been above that in the way it treated the reality of spaceship designs.

chaingunsofdoom
09-01-2017, 12:03 AM
Surely the most embarrassing of embarrassing toy re-release ideas.

Exec 1: 'Hey, you know those Poe X-Wings from 2 years ago?'

Exec 2: 'The one with the bendy laser cannons? We have crates of them in the back'.

Exec 1: 'Yeah, well lets add this Force Tech stuff into it and resell it for more money'.

Exec 2: 'OK! But add a Booster.'

soulydyes
09-01-2017, 01:45 AM
The cannons on the promo photo on the first page of this thread look bent. I picked up 3 of the black TFA versions, all with straight cannons. I might pick up a few more of these on clearance, but that depends on the cannons, I'm looking forward to the reviews.

Batman
09-01-2017, 02:56 AM
Surely the most embarrassing of embarrassing toy re-release ideas.

Exec 1: 'Hey, you know those Poe X-Wings from 2 years ago?'

Exec 2: 'The one with the bendy laser cannons? We have crates of them in the back'.

Exec 1: 'Yeah, well lets add this Force Tech stuff into it and resell it for more money'.

Exec 2: 'OK! But add a Booster.'

Exec 2 is shortly afterwards promoted.

ralltiir
09-01-2017, 03:25 AM
I bet the photo with bent cannons is deliberate, as a precaution so that they couldn't be blamed/held responsible when (some) people opened their boxes and found horrible warpage. Would have to check product photos on box to confirm.

As for the booster, I don't think it's absurd as many are making it out to be. There was a lot of experimentation in the early Cold War days with something called RATO, or rocket assisted takeoff, which was used on otherwise ordinary jet fighters. (Or was tested on more heavily instrumented experimental copies, but anticipated for use by regular fighter aircraft.). The idea actually wasn't to increase top speed, but to assist in takeoff from shorter runways and to get to altitude faster, especially to intercept an incoming nuclear bomber.

My point is that these RATO systems were often just little bottle rockets that were more or less modular prefab units stuck onto the jet, which I feel Poe's booster could easily be as well. If it's a unitary accessory that only takes a firing signal and maybe some electricity from the X-wing, it wouldn't matter in any obvious way what stuff is in the empennage of the ship proper, nor would there be a need for a fuel tank.

Although such a setup wouldn't by any means provide an all-purpose third engine, with burn time being surely much shorter, it would be compatible with available info and, IMO, useful for an X-wing, either in scrambling out of a base (D'Qar?) or for emergency evasion in combat (since starships shouldn't have the limits that kept RATO from influencing max airspeed.). Maybe with Star Wars tech it could be throttleable or even subject to an on/off switch that could mean multiple uses prior to refueling: turn it on with a catalyst and maybe electric heat, dump an "anti-catalyst" onto the fuel grains to stop combustion & preserve whatever fuel remains.

DonWanKihotay
09-01-2017, 07:22 AM
[QUOTE=Nerdherfer;19990824]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhGpdh-89l4uqsRYu7zQd6sCFK4cz23BXM0nzkqFwe_bBvdg14Hudd3Mu USo this is a low res shot of the "booster" apparatus on the back end of Poe's X-wing. The toy makes it seem a bit larger I think. Will possibly have the electronic wrist gimmick incorporated into it.

Nice catch Nerdherfer

Not sure how much Hasbro's needs determine what will be in the movie , but this is why I wanted to make sure a part of the convo came over from the other thread.
As Nerdherfer has identified this booster is in fact from the film.

The film has been showcasing Poe's exceptional skill and bravado, and this might play into a plot point where Poe can only accomplish a mission with this extra edge advantage.
Not necasarily a whole new ship.
Introducing a whole new ship just for this that they never showed before would have likely been criticized by the same bunch here as not "realistic" or they just happen to have an all new ship when they need it, or if they had this ship why doesn't everyone get one etc... LOL!
I guess we can joke/debate about which came first the need in the film or the toy? :grin:

DonWanKihotay
09-01-2017, 07:26 AM
I bet the photo with bent cannons is deliberate, as a precaution so that they couldn't be blamed/held responsible when (some) people opened their boxes and found horrible warpage. Would have to check product photos on box to confirm.

As for the booster, I don't think it's absurd as many are making it out to be. There was a lot of experimentation in the early Cold War days with something called RATO, or rocket assisted takeoff, which was used on otherwise ordinary jet fighters. (Or was tested on more heavily instrumented experimental copies, but anticipated for use by regular fighter aircraft.). The idea actually wasn't to increase top speed, but to assist in takeoff from shorter runways and to get to altitude faster, especially to intercept an incoming nuclear bomber.

My point is that these RATO systems were often just little bottle rockets that were more or less modular prefab units stuck onto the jet, which I feel Poe's booster could easily be as well. If it's a unitary accessory that only takes a firing signal and maybe some electricity from the X-wing, it wouldn't matter in any obvious way what stuff is in the empennage of the ship proper, nor would there be a need for a fuel tank.
Excellent analysis. http://forums.superherohype.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Deak_Starkiller
09-01-2017, 07:43 AM
Noted, other applications for RATO or back in my day JATO (jet-ATO) were used to assist heavier planes notably the C-130 or in low density/high altitude airstrips. Now as far as snub fighters are concerned, they utilize a combination of repulsorlift and 'conventional' chemical propulsion for TO (we saw this more recently in Rogue One for T-65's, so T-70's should be similar). To me, it's almost like putting RATO on fighters like the Harrier Jump Jet or even the Osprey. Is it practical, IDK(?)...., again I'd like to see how this is explained in the books apart from the physical modification is concerned. Also to add, West End Games books does describe 'Ready One' fighters in rebel bases such as Tierfon Base, but obviously not with the modifications discussed here.

DonWanKihotay
09-01-2017, 08:08 AM
lol at looking for real science explanations out of Star Wars, the Star Wars physics & tech runs mostly concordant with fantasy.
As it should. It's part of the charm of the franchise and it has been since the beginning. To start complain about physics now, you should know If it allows for a great visual they'll work it.

Don't want to be the first one to say it, but watch out for potential fraud folks, I have a feeling there's going to be some swapping on this one.

WOW I can see this happening, especially if there is still of glut of FA X-wings on clearance side by side with the updated more expensive one, someone buying both, swamping the content, and returning the more expensive one. :wtf:

ralltiir
09-01-2017, 08:29 AM
I think so-called flight sims for PlayStation or Xbox have an "oh crap, I need a sudden burst of speed" button on them, so if pressed to predict how LFL will use this system in the movie, I suspect it might be similar to that, and so more along the lines DWK was suggesting than anything else- visual proof of Poe's exceptional abilities, easy ID in a space battle, maybe helping him heroically escape from D'Qar if the movie starts dealing with the Resistance that soon after TFA.

As for practicality, which I assume to mean in-universe practicality and not what you'd take into a classroom at MIT, it strikes me that there could easily be a flight regime (whether atmospheric or not) where extra speed would help, and I can't see any particular impediment, so I guess I'm unsure what the worry would be. Again taking DWK's suggestion that for SW purposes, entertainment >> studious application of actual physical law.

Anyway, thx for the kind words everybody : )

DonWanKihotay
09-01-2017, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE=DonWanKihotay;19991005]
The film has been showcasing Poe's exceptional skill and bravado, and this might play into a plot point where Poe can only accomplish a mission with this extra edge advantage.

... it strikes me that there could easily be a flight regime (whether atmospheric or not) where extra speed would help, and I can't see any particular impediment, so I guess I'm unsure what the worry would be.
Agree this will probably be a plot point to showcase Poe's skill, in a situation where he needs the extra boost.
Wasn't enough to into a whole new ship.
The plot allows for it as as far as Star Wars physics, the idea and design of the ship allows for it to.
Not sure what the complaint about it is.

As far as those complaining about Hasbro capitalizing on reusing the ship. Here is an idea, if it's not interesting to you, don't buy it.
How simple is that.
There are other new ships too. :awesome:

Nerdherfer
09-01-2017, 09:14 AM
Definitely ralltiir, you certainly have a good grasp on this military aviation type stuff. Are you the same "Toprawa and Ralltiir" of Wookieepedia fame? I used to hang out in Knowlege Bank a lot. Making trouble mostly. :)

I was thinking this 'add on' was possibly a booster for the hyperdrive, but merely because I've only heard "booster" used previously in relation to "booster rings" for jedi starfighters. It seems it's fed from the other engines. A pretty crude looking peice of hardware, which seems to be a common thread in these movies, apart from Rogue One which had some great designs.

One thing George Lucas had was a keen eye for a cool design. He seemed to push the designers and illustrators a little further than they cared to go, but it paid off. Padme's Naboo Skiff that she took to Mustafar comes to mind, in regards to engine mods at least. It basically had these supercharger looking things protruding up through the wings from the engines. Pretty heavy duty looking high performance gear. much like an old mercedes V8 with twin turbos. I really like that idea. Poe's Flux Capacitor, not so much.

ralltiir
09-01-2017, 10:01 AM
Nope, no known connection there. My only previous forum/online community contributions have been in 1/72 diecast and, briefly, on 4th and 5th gen fighter jets on quora, before I got bored. I grew up desperately wanting to be an F-14 pilot, long before I ever heard of Topgun or Star Wars. I literally learned to read with the trade publication Aviation Week, all while trying to drown out the narrowminded anger and poorly reasoned claims about...well...pretty much everything. So suffice it to say I related to Luke when I finally saw ANH, and to younger Anakin and Rey as well.

As for trouble, i know all about the wallet variety thanks to great hobbies like this one, but not much beyond that. And as for design, my hat is off to Lucas in all respects, but I am probably personally more moved by McQuarrie and Johnston when it comes to vehicles, and less by Chiang, although I :wub: the old "Vehicles and Vessels" guide he drew for all those years ago, before the dark times of CG replacing thought. (The old yellow-orange covered version.). For me the Naboo tech is great sci fi / space opera / future Art Deco, but it actually slightly grates on me as SW, although again *definitely* not because it isn't good design.

In terms of boosters and hyperdrives, I can't rule it out, but from a story standpoint it strikes me as unnecessary given the way so many ships almost seem to teleport from place to place. (Granted, this is only logical for meeting an audience's needs. Hours of downtime would be catastrophic.). Also, from a visual standpoint I find it easier to imagine a space battle or hangar escape w/ a blazing trail of red thrust coming out the back than in hyperspace, although red against the rich blue would be striking. Finally, as far as the word booster, it seems very possible that it's a rocket reference, a la the Solid Rocket Boosters on the space shuttle & many other rocket powered vehicles. Admittedly this isn't a *Star Wars* comparison to make, but it sure squares with the rest of the evidence, IMO at least.

Nice to to meet everybody, btw : )

Nerdherfer
09-01-2017, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the back story Ralltiir. Your interest in jet fighters is entirely understandable. I fell through a 12 foot ceiling an old RAAF hangar about 15 years ago. That was a rough landing. Lol. As close as I'll get to being in the Air Force unfortunately.

A reasonable assessment on the booster. Although hyperdrives not working, being replaced or repaired are a common plot device or talking point, their speed / class rarely is. So many different ships of all shapes and sizes coming out of hyperspace at the same time.. I guess they synchronise their jumps. But of course a rocket booster is going to be far more dynamic on screen.

ralltiir
09-01-2017, 11:13 AM
Dare I ask what you were doing on that ceiling?

Nighthawk
09-01-2017, 04:43 PM
Anyone actually get this? I'm curious as to the quality and whether anything was improved.

Oddball_Fett
09-01-2017, 04:52 PM
As for trouble, i know all about the wallet variety thanks to great hobbies like this one, but not much beyond that. And as for design, my hat is off to Lucas in all respects, but I am probably personally more moved by McQuarrie and Johnston when it comes to vehicles, and less by Chiang, although I :wub: the old "Vehicles and Vessels" guide he drew for all those years ago, before the dark times of CG replacing thought. (The old yellow-orange covered version.). For me the Naboo tech is great sci fi / space opera / future Art Deco, but it actually slightly grates on me as SW, although again *definitely* not because it isn't good design.

I've heard that a lot. But to be fair that was still George's idea. He specifically wanted the Naboo culture to be fancy and told Chiang and everyone else to go for that. So the likes of the Naboo starfighters etc are certainly in stark contrast to the designs in the originals and that was just one of the many things about the prequels which made people's views about them vary.

Me though I'm cool with it. You got a galactic community that's had interstellar space travel for millenia, and thousands of different technological alien species and cultures, all with their own ideas of what's practical and/or aesthetically pleasing. Which gives us ships of literally every size, shape and description. So the whole instinctive human idea that old = blocky and futuristic = sleek has long fallen by the wayside.

But I'm also biased, as I REALLY liked how the NSF handled when playing Star Wars starfighter. Such a great space flight combat game, as console games go.

Deak_Starkiller
09-01-2017, 09:31 PM
lol at looking for real science explanations out of Star Wars, the Star Wars physics & tech runs mostly concordant with fantasy.
As it should. It's part of the charm of the franchise and it has been since the beginning. To start complain about physics now, you should know If it allows for a great visual they'll work it.

LOL, even as a young kid watching ANH, I've always wondered how come those snub fighters never ran out of fuel fighting in space for that long. :D

I also happen to hold a Masters in Aerospace Engineering, so imagine a bunch of my former NASA colleagues and I sitting in a theater watching a SW or Trek movie and turning our brains off from all those years sitting in a classroom and acquiescing to George's and Gene's physics. :P

Nerdherfer
09-02-2017, 02:22 AM
Dare I ask what you were doing on that ceiling?
Lol Installing a phone system. Just pulling the last trunk cable to the distribution board, long story short, put one foot wrong and landed in some guy's office on his photo copier. They called me the stunt man when I got up and drove myself to hospital. Still paying for it 15 years later.

I've heard that a lot. But to be fair that was still George's idea. He specifically wanted the Naboo culture to be fancy and told Chiang and everyone else to go for that. So the likes of the Naboo starfighters etc are certainly in stark contrast to the designs in the originals and that was just one of the many things about the prequels which made people's views about them vary.

Me though I'm cool with it. You got a galactic community that's had interstellar space travel for millenia, and thousands of different technological alien species and cultures, all with their own ideas of what's practical and/or aesthetically pleasing. Which gives us ships of literally every size, shape and description. So the whole instinctive human idea that old = blocky and futuristic = sleek has long fallen by the wayside.

But I'm also biased, as I REALLY liked how the NSF handled when playing Star Wars starfighter. Such a great space flight combat game, as console games go.

I like those nubian ships as well. I recall hearing about George Lucas penning his first rough draft of "The Star War" in 1974, the first scene had what could only be described as Padme's Yacht moving across the rings of a planet, so it definitely wasn't an afterthought. Like I said earlier though, I like how there was a design focus on engine upgrades and enhancements during the clone war, at least depicted by the overhead "manifolds" or something of that nature on the Nubian Star Skiff. It's a nice subtle touch and a lot less crude than the garbage disposal unit on the back of this T-75. George's absence is noticeable in that regard IMO.

Nerdherfer
09-02-2017, 02:25 AM
Was possibly 1971 when GL started writing all this stuff. Not 74.

Simdog
09-02-2017, 08:57 AM
Whats the deal with this set? Is this a new and unique figure? Is the X-wing updated? Or is this just the same stuff in new packaging?

Maverick10126
09-02-2017, 09:02 AM
Whats the deal with this set? Is this a new and unique figure? Is the X-wing updated? Or is this just the same stuff in new packaging?

X-wing is updated with a booster on the back and has force link sounds. Everything else should be the same.

Nighthawk
09-02-2017, 11:35 AM
Hope someone gets this and reviews it.

Maverick10126
09-02-2017, 11:38 AM

I'm hoping they used better quality plastic.

jrice73
09-02-2017, 12:01 PM
I'm hoping they used better quality plastic.

Highly doubtful.

Masterfett
09-02-2017, 12:17 PM
LOL, even as a young kid watching ANH, I've always wondered how come those snub fighters never ran out of fuel fighting in space for that long. :D

I also happen to hold a Masters in Aerospace Engineering, so imagine a bunch of my former NASA colleagues and I sitting in a theater watching a SW or Trek movie and turning our brains off from all those years sitting in a classroom and acquiescing to George's and Gene's physics. :P
Well, considering that they have had advanced technology for many thousands of years. It's not hard to say they've probably been ahead of our tech by 100,000 years? So i wouldn't feel too bad about it.

Maverick10126
09-02-2017, 12:22 PM
Highly doubtful.

Didn't they improve it for the WM exclusive version?

Lance_Quazar
09-02-2017, 01:03 PM
Poe's "boosted" X-Wing? Who did he steal it from?

DarthPete
09-02-2017, 02:24 PM
Poe's "boosted" X-Wing? Who did he steal it from?

Unkar Plut, who stole it from the Irving boys, who stole it from ducain.

DonWanKihotay
09-04-2017, 05:15 PM
Looks like Poe is taking his boosted x-wing up against the new star destroyer.

DonWanKihotay
09-04-2017, 05:16 PM
http://cdn3-www.superherohype.com/assets/uploads/gallery/star-wars-the-last-jedi/ep8-ff-000903.jpg

Edit: forgot the pic. LOL!

Nerdherfer
09-04-2017, 08:12 PM
I stole the text from the online magazine article. Sounds like a Skyhopper engine. Kinda looks like one too.

The Last JediExclusive: PoeDameron's Improved X-Wing Revealed

How do you make the coolest X-Wing starfighter even more ******? You slap a bloody great thruster on the back and make it the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy, that's how. Taken directly from the pages of the October issue of Empire (http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/empire-holographic-last-jedi-newsstand-cover-revealed/) (on sale this Thursday), this exclusive image from Star Wars: The Last Jedi (http://www.empireonline.com/movies/star-wars-last-jedi/)* shows Poe Dameron's X-Wing, codenamed Black One, specially retrofitted with additional thrust to help evade incoming fire.

The X-Wing (an Incom-FreiTek T-70, to be precise) has, according to Rian Johnson, been specially modified by Resistance engineers, with a temporary accelerator pod affixed to the aft section. According to The Last Jedi director, the pod, when primed, increases Dameron's speed, allowing him to outrun First Order cannon emplacements. It's just a temporary boost and will burn out quickly but it's enough to get beyond the barrage of turbo laser fire from First Order Star Destroyers such as the one depicted in the image.

Deak_Starkiller
09-04-2017, 10:25 PM
Well, aren't we special! :D

DonWanKihotay
09-05-2017, 06:17 AM
...a temporary boost and will burn out quickly but it's enough to get beyond the barrage of turbo laser fire from First Order Star Destroyers such as the one depicted in the image.
Well, going by the image, looks like Poe takes that 'boosted' X-wing solo up against the new Dreadnought Destroyer.

http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2017/08/star-wars-the-last-jedi-first-order-dreadnought-wideshot.jpg

Well, aren't we special! :D
LOL! As far as in story and character reasons for it being there, seems legit, like something he'd do. GOING from the other images of the Dreadnaught, seems like it might have a canon that can only be taken out close range.
And scrambling to putting something together last minute, seems how the Resistance manages to survive.
As far as justifiying reselling that X-wing for that?
Yeah, not so special. :P
If you don't feel its worth it, it seems easy enough to ignore.

Deak_Starkiller
09-05-2017, 07:44 AM
The snub fighter use and close range offense sounds pretty much similar to what Dodonna briefed the Yavin pilots on about the Death Star Assault all those decades ago. Now as far as finding a weakness, possibly from the inside or sabotage, maybe that's where our other two heroes come in. :)

Nerdherfer
09-05-2017, 08:43 AM
I can well imagine a trench run scenario on the dreadnought. There is a dorsal trench.. much like The Pillar of Autumn (love that game). Finn and Rose may be on Snoke's mega destroyer.

movieman78
09-05-2017, 11:01 AM
I would get this if the plastic is improved. It's the only reason I didn't get it during the Force Awakens run.

Nerdherfer
09-05-2017, 10:21 PM
^^ If it wasn't for the warped cannons it may have passed. That was just ridiculous! I don't hold out much hope for the body being cast in a thicker sturdier plastic, but that's not the real issue. The ship can maintain it's shape through a long hot summer. I got the replacement cannons from hasbro and it's made the whole thing a lot more acceptable. I really like it now.

Trooper31
09-06-2017, 04:02 AM

Yup, can't wait to see some pics of this one.

SaberSonic83
09-07-2017, 05:54 PM
Very curious exactly WHEN this will come out. It also is said to feature LIGHTS, with the sounds, so I'm curious if just the boost will light up blueish white, or if we'll get 4 engines (which would be a long time coming).

I still can't quite figure out how my Kylo Intercepter gets the lights to go on. The only thing with batteries is the Force Link, but as soon as your hand comes in contact with the ship, the lights of the engines come on. It's a very interesting concept, though I'd simply love for Hasbro to stop ****ing around with this Force Link **** and actually give EVERY ship out there built-in electronics. It costs dollar store amounts for this stuff, they are always SO concerned about their ridiculous profits, like give us a firkin' bone man. I also see that if your hand is further away the engines actually light up really faintly. You have to have your Force Link practically on the ship to give it the most light. I'd love to know the technology that allows this. I feel like it's coming from the human body's ability to conduct electricity and we're actually helping to conduct the power to the vehicle's lights through our hand, though I already foiled that theory by simply holding the Force Link up to the ship and still activated that lights. I guess it's more akin to cordless charging that phone companies are pioneering. Either way, it has me bewitched!

jrice73
09-07-2017, 07:03 PM
Very curious exactly WHEN this will come out. It also is said to feature LIGHTS, with the sounds, so I'm curious if just the boost will light up blueish white, or if we'll get 4 engines (which would be a long time coming).

I still can't quite figure out how my Kylo Intercepter gets the lights to go on. The only thing with batteries is the Force Link, but as soon as your hand comes in contact with the ship, the lights of the engines come on. It's a very interesting concept, though I'd simply love for Hasbro to stop ****ing around with this Force Link **** and actually give EVERY ship out there built-in electronics. It costs dollar store amounts for this stuff, they are always SO concerned about their ridiculous profits, like give us a firkin' bone man. I also see that if your hand is further away the engines actually light up really faintly. You have to have your Force Link practically on the ship to give it the most light. I'd love to know the technology that allows this. I feel like it's coming from the human body's ability to conduct electricity and we're actually helping to conduct the power to the vehicle's lights through our hand, though I already foiled that theory by simply holding the Force Link up to the ship and still activated that lights. I guess it's more akin to cordless charging that phone companies are pioneering. Either way, it has me bewitched!

I think you nailed it. Before I left Verizon, we were starting to sell those wireless charging pads for any smartphone that had wireless charging capability (which was few and far between). That was in early 2014. Now, that tech is pretty much standard in every top of the line smartphone and even in those that aren't. It was totally kooky at first to see a phone charge up that way. Pretty sure Hasbro is using a similar type of tech for Force Link.

bob_solo
09-19-2017, 05:49 AM
For anyone interested, TRU just put this up for pre-order!

https://www.toysrus.com/product?productId=121914196&irgwc=1&iradidTRU=213036&camp=aff:TRU:10078:Skimbit%20Ltd.&irpidTRU=10078

jrice73
09-19-2017, 06:24 PM
For anyone interested, TRU just put this up for pre-order!

https://www.toysrus.com/product?productId=121914196&irgwc=1&iradidTRU=213036&camp=aff:TRU:10078:Skimbit%20Ltd.&irpidTRU=10078

Buyer beware. After seeing what Hasbro released with that Walmart exclusive Special Forces TIE that still had warped wings (which can't be returned to Hasbro for straight ones due to the toy being an exclusive), you may want to wait until TRU gets these in stock so you can do an in store inspection for warped cannons. If you can't return warped cannons to Hasbro to get straight ones like so many of us did for the original release of this X-Wing, you may just want to save your money.

Nerdherfer
09-23-2017, 09:01 AM
^I really don't think even Hasbro would let that happen again. That whole fiasco was a little beyond the pail. They rectified it at considerable expense I would imagine, so letting that low grade plastic slip though again would be a slim chance. Refer back to this post if they do it again and I will eat humble pie.

Maverick10126
09-23-2017, 09:08 AM
Isn't TRU declaring bankruptcy....

Nighthawk
09-23-2017, 09:23 AM

If you turn on your NFC feature on your phone and put it close to the Tie Silencer, the lights turn on.

SaberSonic83
09-23-2017, 05:46 PM
If you turn on your NFC feature on your phone and put it close to the Tie Silencer, the lights turn on.

No kidding, that's pretty sweet technology. I'm going to have to try that. I just hate that for the lights to get the brightest you have literally set the Force Link on top of it. I think the lights are possibly the coolest part of the ship in general.

Fan_of_the_1300
09-24-2017, 02:40 AM
Isn't TRU declaring bankruptcy....

Yes, but it's not the first time. Doesn't mean their closing anytime soon.

Fan_of_the_1300
09-24-2017, 02:41 AM
Yes, but it's not the first time. Doesn't mean their closing anytime soon.

"Their" = they're. Damn lack of sleep and edit button

HothHan
09-24-2017, 05:46 AM
Yes, but it's not the first time. Doesn't mean their closing anytime soon.Yea Chapter 11 actually means very little for a large company. It's more of a way to reevaluate debt.

Rocket_Back
09-24-2017, 07:49 PM
I'm hoping they come out of this stronger. Toys "R" Us was my first job way back when (and where I met my Mrs.). I always try to give them as much business as possible. I don't want to see a retail era without a big box specialty toy store. Not to mention, almost every other store that sold the Wars has closed in my immediate area since the Prequel days (Ames, KB Toys, K-Mart). Without the TRU in my town, it's just Wal*Mart. There's a Target maybe 40 minutes out (and another Wal*Mart), but man...

DJ121
09-24-2017, 09:19 PM
Unkar Plut, who stole it from the Irving boys, who stole it from ducain.

And ^^ THIS^^ is why we really need the "Like" button back!

DarkArtist
09-25-2017, 12:00 PM
^I really don't think even Hasbro would let that happen again. That whole fiasco was a little beyond the pail. They rectified it at considerable expense I would imagine, so letting that low grade plastic slip though again would be a slim chance. Refer back to this post if they do it again and I will eat humble pie.

well the Walmart FO TIE Fighter I bought is all warped in the solar panels so I wouldn't put it past Hasbro to use the exact same plastic for the X-wing cannons and the rubber nise cone for the front.. the addition add ons like the booster engine and Force link tech would raise the price even more if they improved upon the original plastic from the TFA X-Wing.

Nighthawk
10-19-2017, 11:57 AM
well the Walmart FO TIE Fighter I bought is all warped in the solar panels so I wouldn't put it past Hasbro to use the exact same plastic for the X-wing cannons and the rubber nise cone for the front.. the addition add ons like the booster engine and Force link tech would raise the price even more if they improved upon the original plastic from the TFA X-Wing.

Honestly, I think it would be as good as the Walmart resistance X-Wing. It'll have the rubber nose cone, but at least the cannons I think will be straight.

Maverick10126
10-19-2017, 02:05 PM
I'm surprised no one has made a 3d printed option at shape ways to fix the nose. I've seen corrected potf2 mold X-wing cannons....

R1G4R3PO
10-24-2017, 07:35 PM
this may be showing up soon. tru.com claims shipping on 10/27 but I noticed tonight that it's now available for store p/u at a tru in my area, not the closest store, it's a bit too far w/ my work schedule. For those interested, check the web page and check your local area for store p/u. Grant it, that may not be 100% accurate

ralltiir
10-26-2017, 06:46 AM
I got an email yesterday morning that my preorder had been cancelled. There was no explanation of why, but the wording implied it was on their end, not a typo on mine or anything. Maybe a finite % went to web fulfillment and others are definitely headed to stores?

Frankly I'm encouraged by the above report that they'll hit b&m soon, or even have already. I was worried the whole thing had been cancelled.

Nighthawk
10-27-2017, 01:55 PM
Saw this in store today. Sadly, the pack in Poe is just a rehash of the one that came with the TFA version as opposed to the new single pack TLJ Poe.

SaberSonic83
10-27-2017, 09:27 PM
Saw this in store today. Sadly, the pack in Poe is just a rehash of the one that came with the TFA version as opposed to the new single pack TLJ Poe.

Yeah, this is majorly lame for $49 freaking dollars. That's the same prices as the Kylo TIE and that one has light up engines! Where the heck are the features on this one? The engines should at the VERY least, light up. It's got a firing missile and some chipped sounds......wow. I'm supposed to be impressed Hasbro!? That thing is worth no more than $25 maximum.

Nighthawk
10-28-2017, 01:53 PM
It's $79.99 CDN up here. Kylo's Tie I think is only $69.99 CDN here.

activistfangirl
10-30-2017, 04:43 AM
I really, really hate this micro-vehicle scale. I was hoping and wishing that Hasbro would make a larger scaled version for The Last Jedi range, but all we get again is this hideous shrunken-monstrosity re-release with a booster attachment. Very disappointing indeed.

http://www.rebelscum.com/Hasbro-Star-Wars/Poes-Boosted-X-Wing-Fighter-The-Last-Jedi-Hasbro/Poes-Boosted-X-Wing-Fighter-The-Last-Jedi-Hasbro-021.jpg

Nighthawk
10-30-2017, 10:29 AM
At least the cannons are straight this time.

SaberSonic83
10-30-2017, 07:55 PM
Does anyone have a picture of the backend of this thing? Do the engines have lights in them?

Coreworld
10-31-2017, 03:48 AM
Does anyone have a picture of the backend of this thing? Do the engines have lights in them?

A real missed trick if it doesn't but I highly doubt it will.

activistfangirl
11-03-2017, 12:42 PM

http://www.banthaskull.com/images/TLJ_Photo_Archive/poe_boosted_xwing_09.jpghttp://www.banthaskull.com/images/TLJ_Photo_Archive/poe_boosted_xwing_14.jpghttp://www.banthaskull.com/images/TLJ_Photo_Archive/poe_boosted_xwing_15.jpghttp://www.banthaskull.com/images/TLJ_Photo_Archive/poe_boosted_xwing_16.jpg

indysolo007
11-03-2017, 04:37 PM
A little paint details would have been nice!

jrice73
11-04-2017, 12:13 PM
A little paint details would have been nice!

Agreed and it should have been cheaper. And the pics from Rebelscum seem to still show a bit of warpage on the wing tip cannons (they look like they are bent outward a bit; still much better than the first release) while the pics from Bantha Skull don't. I wonder if getting warped cannons is a hit and miss deal with this thing.

Captain_Piet
11-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Does it do anything or are the notches on there just to attach it?

SaberSonic83
11-04-2017, 08:57 PM
Thank you for the awesome pictures ActivistFangirl, I'm baffled why Rebelscum didn't even bother to take photos of the back end of this thing. It seems like the literal most interesting part. Were they trying to avoid showing it or something? Pretty lame that the engines don't do anything and they are still asking us to shell out $50 for exactly that...a shell!

activistfangirl
11-08-2017, 07:34 AM
Thank you for the awesome pictures ActivistFangirl, I'm baffled why Rebelscum didn't even bother to take photos of the back end of this thing. It seems like the literal most interesting part. Were they trying to avoid showing it or something? Pretty lame that the engines don't do anything and they are still asking us to shell out $50 for exactly that...a shell!

You are welcome. To be honest I think the booster looks ridiculous, it reminds me of a metal droid spider, like a Clone Wars-era Probe Droid.

jedimasterc
11-08-2017, 09:31 AM
If Hasbro made the X-wing the same size as the one we got form the TVC version from TRU.

Clutters
11-21-2017, 09:16 PM
....Pretty lame that the engines don't do anything and they are still asking us to shell out $50 for exactly that...a shell!

...unless you live in Australia in which case Toys R Us charge you AUD$99.96 for this POS!

The current exchange rate is 1AUD = 0.75USD so it should cost AUD$66.00. But we get to pay the Aussie Tax on everything officially licensed down here.

Nighthawk
11-22-2017, 01:20 PM
And I thought we had it bad at $79.99 CDN which equates to like $62US. Can't remember how much it is in the US stores.

mandalore9998
11-22-2017, 07:18 PM
And I thought we had it bad at $79.99 CDN which equates to like $62US. Can't remember how much it is in the US stores.

It's $49.99 over in the US. Worse still is the $60 price tag for 2 figures and the wristband here and $35 in the US. It's more than just the basic exchange rate anymore. I'm not looking forward to seeing what TVC figures/vehicles cost next year.

DarkArtist
12-07-2017, 09:37 AM
picked this up last week at my local TRU on Thursday... I used my TRU credit card and got 5% off and had $35.00 in reward dollars as well so I picked it up for $15.00 total... I was pleasantly surprised to receive on in perfect condition with no warping on the cannons. kinda bummed by the lack of lights in the ship and the repack of Poe but it's nice to finally have a black X-Wing with no warping.

Nerdherfer
12-08-2017, 09:41 AM
The booster looks more TMNT than Star Wars, but we shall see. We. Shall. See.. I kind of wish the first movie and therefore Hasbro had just stuck with the grey resistance x-wings and no black Poe version, because then I might have reason to pick this up. Only JJ Abrams would pull such a cheap trick like build a full size x-wing and have it explode off camera after being shot by stormtrooper blasters. Lol

●●●●

DarkArtist
12-08-2017, 12:24 PM
The booster looks more TMNT than Star Wars, but we shall see. We. Shall. See.. I kind of wish the first movie and therefore Hasbro had just stuck with the grey resistance x-wings and no black Poe version, because then I might have reason to pick this up. Only JJ Abrams would pull such a cheap trick like build a full size x-wing and have it explode off camera after being shot by stormtrooper blasters. Lol

●●●●

I agree.. I preferred the grey/white X-Wing with the blue markings. I haven't attempted it yet but I'm hoping the booster engine is removable as I'd put it on my Walmart version of the grey x_wing

Nerdherfer
12-08-2017, 12:35 PM
I think it would look better on a grey x-wing, but that's not a custom I would be willing to try consdering what these puppies cost, but who knows what they'll be worth this time next year? Considerably less for sure.

●●●●