PDA

View Full Version : BB-8 2-in-1 Mega Playset

Pages : [1] 2

GNT
08-03-2017, 06:38 AM
Yakface have posted a list of SKU and DPCI numbers, one of which is below:

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/4908/bb81.jpg

E8 Flagship Set (BB8/Mega Star Destroyer Playset with Snoke and Elite Guard, Force Link Gauntlet)
DPCI: 087-06-8337
SKU: 55589139
UPC: 630509606207
MSRP: $199.99

For $200 this better be amazing, any thoughts on this? Could we be getting one large playset for our figures?

DarkArtist
08-03-2017, 06:46 AM

E8 Flagship Set (BB8/Mega Star Destroyer Playset with Snoke and Elite Guard, Force Link Gauntlet)

For $200 this better be amazing, any thoughts on this? Could we be getting one large playset for our figures?

I was originally thinking that this was going to be similar to the old R2-D2 carrying case from TPM but with a $200 price tag now I'm curious

Neal
08-03-2017, 07:23 AM
If it's anything like the AT-ACT, it'll be on clearance the moment it hits the shelves.

DarkManX
08-03-2017, 07:55 AM
not sure if the price is good or bad yet but the Forcelink starter set is 30 bucks so that's part of the price plus you have 2 figures. I'm half suspecting something a little bigger than the TFA falcon. But until we see it we shouldn't speculate too much in either direction. Hopefully it's good because I think this might be the last chance for big vehicles for awhile after the failures of the TFA Falcon and the AT-ACT. So somebody hurry up and leak the pics already so I can decide if I want to save money for it or not.

DarthPete
08-03-2017, 10:18 AM
It'll be interesting to see what $199.99 will buy us from hasbro these days.

What really gives me pause for concern is it's BB8 exterior. I mean I figure something other than a Star Destroyer for the exterior makes sense as it would be kind of a silly looking super deformed thing. But the spherical nature of BB8 makes me immediately picture that MicroMachines Death Star/tatooine playset. Which was fine for Micro Machines, but I'm concerned this is going to kind of flop open basically flat and be more of a super nice figure stand rather than a walled playset environment.

I just hope it's over all not lackluster. It's the damnest thing with Hasbro, they made shoddy (SW) playsets from 99 to 05, then blamed consumers for not having interest in them so they stopped making them. *shakes head*

Coreworld
08-03-2017, 11:30 AM
Yeah, the jury's out on this one, after the massive fall in price of other big ticket items over the last couple of years, I'm going to be holding fire for a bit. Would've much preferred it to be a First Order Dropship/ Destroyer playset as we have touched on in the past, but as said will wait and see.

DarkArtist
08-03-2017, 12:47 PM
maybe instead of a star destroyer per say it opens up to reveal Starkiller Base from TFA ? and maybe Snoke is a Hologram ?

Deak_Starkiller
08-03-2017, 01:43 PM
I'm expecting a transforming playset a la Micromachines, but hopefully something that is not disproportionate like the Star Destroyer and Falcon MM sets of the past (The Rebel Transport is spot on and therefore my favorite). Also, I doubt it will have any of the negative space like on the real model.

coeli
08-03-2017, 02:47 PM
The bad thing about this is if it is a dud (by Hasbro's standards) we won't see other playsets. They will use the excuse of, 'Hey, we gave you guys a playset and it didn't sell well'.

Masterfett
08-03-2017, 03:10 PM
Agreed. ^
Just one more >it's our fault< for not buying it scenario. So part of me wants it to succeed so that we can continue to get needed playsets. However, if it's lacking and engineered towards a different play pattern. We'll just end up with more of the same nonsense.

Based on the price, I'm sure it's going to be underwhelming. And undersized. Just look at the price of the "electronic" AT-ACT. Electronics add costs to any vehicle. Now imagine a "playset", with interactive features via Force Gauntlet and 2 figures. It's asking to be small and cheap. Having not seen the Mega Star Destroyer they're speaking of, I cannot judge the size or contents. But it sounds bigger than previous SD's. There must be some room where a confrontation takes place, or some pivotal scene? Otherwise why make it? If we had seen what it consists of, we'd have abetter idea what to expect. Though maybe it's best we don't then we don't get any built up expectations based on the Movie. I wait and see how it plays out.

CHEWIE
08-03-2017, 10:38 PM
My guess is it will suck due to a ridiculous design by trying to make it transform into BB-8.

Thank goodness for GTP Toys.

Trooper31
08-04-2017, 04:18 AM
The bad thing about this is if it is a dud (by Hasbro's standards) we won't see other playsets. They will use the excuse of, 'Hey, we gave you guys a playset and it didn't sell well'.

Exactly. I'm going to hold off until I see it, but that was one of my first thoughts when I heard about a playset.

Deak_Starkiller
08-04-2017, 07:00 AM
Colossal ships made by Hasbro are pretty much a cyclic thing....Queen's starship, Falcon, MTT, AC-ACT and so on. But I don't think there a marketing director at Hasbro that doesn't know that they won't take another sales hit on ships of these scales. They will, but I'll leave it up to them to crank out the sales profit numbers since to me it would be more or less independent of the marketing potential because somebody out there will eventually bite at it.

Nerfherder
08-04-2017, 09:33 AM
Keep this in mind. Once you see a toy in stores, Hasbro has already made their money.

TK_842
08-04-2017, 09:51 AM
Keep this in mind. Once you see a toy in stores, Hasbro has already made their money.

Technically, that's not entirely true. Retail chains aren't taking the beating alone when an item doesn't sell. So, Hasbro do want those to sell well or they'll have to issue rebate coupons for said retail chains on their next orders.

darth_sidious
08-04-2017, 09:58 AM

That's likely to be what happens. People ask for something, and then don't support it in some cases. Hasbro has to make it interesting for kids above all else, hence the transforming feature. Hasbro isn't going to sell scale diorama playsets like we saw for the 6 inch figures at SDCC, its just not viable. Most of the collectors that want playsets are probably better off buying those custom space walls and making their own. If this fails though, the playset crowd is off Hasbro's radar for good, so I hope for their sake it does well.

Nicklab
08-04-2017, 11:23 AM
The one bit of significant information that I take from this listing? That the $200 price threshold seems to mean something. Remember last year when people were complaining about the AT-ACT having an MSRP of $299? I think that Hasbro was paying close attention there. And a significant portion of the forum conversations that I saw about the AT-ACT were either about PRICE (sales, discounts, etc) or complaining about the Nerf features and/or pack-in figures. The $200 price point may be the ceiling for what Hasbro can do in the 3.75" figure system without seeing a tremendous falloff in sales.

I'm sure there may be complaints about these pack-in figures, too. Especially if it's the only avenue to get either Snoke or this particular Praetorian Guard. As for the BB-8 aspect? I see that as pure play value, and it increases the potential marketability for a broader (non-collector) audience.

Masterfett
08-04-2017, 12:18 PM
I didn't catch that BB-8 part the first time. Now my expectation have lowered dramatically, as I do not care for that Droid. And likely won't like the "play" feature it entails. Sounds like too much of a mix & match concept. Similar to SW/Transformers or something. I don't see how a SD and BB-8 have anything in common. I'm interested to see what it looks like, but cannot say that it's buy worthy.

That's likely to be what happens. People ask for something, and then don't support it in some cases.
But I didn't ask for this, so if it does fail it isn't "my" fault. If they want to blame me for the Barge not meeting expectations, fine. I will have already bought it by then! lol
Plus there aren't anymore BIG vehicles that i want.

I have yet to campaign for something, then not bought it.

DarkArtist
08-04-2017, 01:01 PM
perhaps Snoke's Star Destroyer does not look like the typical First Order Star Destroyer? or better yet perhaps the playset is not a Star Destroyer at all but Starkiller base?

DarkArtist
08-04-2017, 01:03 PM
plus lets not forget when Hasbro gave us the R2-D2 carrying case that folded out to a trade federation battleship. R2 looked nothing like a ship either but at the time it somewhat worked

Nicklab
08-04-2017, 01:09 PM
plus lets not forget when Hasbro gave us the R2-D2 carrying case that folded out to a trade federation battleship. R2 looked nothing like a ship either but at the time it somewhat worked

That might be an apples/oranges situation. That R2-D2 case (http://www.rebelscum.com/episodeIr2playset.asp) retailed for $24.99. I suspect that this flagship set might be a bit more involved.

indysolo007
08-04-2017, 01:15 PM
If there had only been a round droid in the OT we'd finally get that damned Death Star playset!

Deak_Starkiller
08-04-2017, 02:45 PM
Moreover the Artoo/figure case set was simpler and looked more proper, even though it was a scene specific playset. I fear that this set with all its transformation engineering is going to possess unusual hinges and gearing that will make it look more like a MM transforming playset. While I don't expect it to be on par with either the Death Star playset or Death Star Micro World sets as far as presentation, the transforming aspect of this set will be far more than noticeable involving linear to curvilinear translation.

Coreworld
08-04-2017, 04:06 PM
Don't know why they didn't do it as the BB9-E transforming into the First Order Destroyer, at least then they would have been the same affiliation.

Morgan4242
08-04-2017, 04:15 PM
After SDCC Hasbro seems to be listening to collectors, maybe this will be better than it sounds.

Lance_Quazar
08-04-2017, 05:15 PM
perhaps Snoke's Star Destroyer does not look like the typical First Order Star Destroyer? or better yet perhaps the playset is not a Star Destroyer at all but Starkiller base?

Maybe...just maybe....Snoke's been inside BB-8 the entire time!

Masterfett
08-04-2017, 05:27 PM
I'm not interested in Starkiller Base. And if Snoke's SSD looks like BB-8, it might as well be a Deathstar or base similar to SK base.
A round SSD? :| I'd rather they just make Kylo's SD.

After SDCC Hasbro seems to be listening to collectors, maybe this will be better than it sounds.
Except that this would have been in production long before SDCC, having happened just a couple weeks back.

DarthPete
08-04-2017, 06:26 PM
Maybe...just maybe....Snoke's been inside BB-8 the entire time!

What if BB8 IS Snoke!! O_O

Regarding Snoke being available in this set, I'm sure it'll be similar to BB8's original release. If you reeeeally want him you've got to buy the expensive set (TFA Falcon), but he'll come along in a two pack or some other set soon enough.

Deak_Starkiller
08-04-2017, 07:09 PM
Don't know why they didn't do it as the BB9-E transforming into the First Order Destroyer, at least then they would have been the same affiliation.

I suppose someone on the Hasbro design team thought collectors needed more a lifesize BB-8, maybe a tad bigger than the Jakks version. We'll have to see the final size however, but I bet someone on the design team is also thinking, "Maybe they'll stop thinking of those Target BB-8 displays for a change." :)

DarkManX
08-04-2017, 08:40 PM

BB8 is a central character and it remains to be seen how much BB9 will factor into the movie.

Coreworld
08-05-2017, 12:26 AM
BB8 is a central character and it remains to be seen how much BB9 will factor into the movie.

True enough, I just thought it would look a bit cooler with the black exterior paint scheme than ol' BB's orange and white. Yakface is reporting this has a throne, garrison corridor and trash compactor, so at least it will have a place for Phasma, lol!

DarkManX
08-05-2017, 12:54 AM
True enough, I just thought it would look a bit cooler with the black exterior paint scheme than ol' BB's orange and white. Yakface is reporting this has a throne, garrison corridor and trash compactor, so at least it will have a place for Phasma, lol!

Oh I agree it would be cooler with the bad ball instead

Deak_Starkiller
08-05-2017, 01:09 AM
Trash compactor, hmmm....looks like FO broke with standard Imperial procedure about dumping garbage before going lightspeed.

Anyway, please no garbage droids that look like WALL-E or WALL-R.

DarkManX
08-05-2017, 06:14 AM
Trash compactor, hmmm....looks like FO broke with standard Imperial procedure about dumping garbage before going lightspeed.

Anyway, please no garbage droids that look like WALL-E or WALL-R.

Padme's nurse maid droids got demoted

Masterfett
08-05-2017, 11:32 AM
A trash compactor? Are we going to see a scene repeat from ANH? IMO, that seems out of place unless a key scene about it is in TLJ. Seems to me that there could be better environments to focus on. Like a Hangar deck, control room/bridge, etc. Maybe the "force link gauntlet" controls mini BB-8 that travels through the vents like a maze, in an attempt to find something or shut something off. We still haven't seen how that works right? I am a little curious to see what it does.

Deak_Starkiller
08-05-2017, 01:04 PM
I just think it's more of Disney's comedy scene shenanigans all over again so that movies like these can qualify to get nominated into Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Awards.....again.

Darth_Broem
08-05-2017, 09:25 PM
Can't be any worse than George's fart jokes!

DarthPete
08-06-2017, 03:20 PM
I'm surprised we've seen pics leak of just about everything except​ this.

TK_842
08-06-2017, 03:43 PM
Might not have been processed from warehouses to actual stores backrooms. Another three weeks to go until FF though.

DarthPete
08-06-2017, 03:51 PM
Good point.

Coreworld
08-07-2017, 02:12 AM
I'm surprised we've seen pics leak of just about everything except​ this.

If it follows the pattern of the other two 'big' releases from TFA and RO, then it will be late September/early October when this gets released.

Trooper31
08-07-2017, 03:29 AM
I'm curious to see what this technilogical monstrosity is going to look like. However, I'm not expecting much, tbh.

ReturnoftheJedi
08-08-2017, 07:12 PM
Suppose it was a playset or a carry-case rolled into one like G.I. Joe with their U.S.S. Flagg?

Billy_Ray
08-08-2017, 09:28 PM
THe USS Flag was NOT a carrying case lol. The thing was as big as a twin bed! Once assembled, nobody was carrying that thing anywhere.

DarkManX
08-08-2017, 09:39 PM
USS Flagg...the awesome toy that was too expensive for most families and too big for most kids' bedrooms.

Deak_Starkiller
08-08-2017, 10:37 PM
I think the shuttle Defiant set would be more befitting....it was THREE playsets in one. :)

DarkManX
08-08-2017, 10:44 PM
I think the shuttle Defiant set would be more befitting....it was THREE playsets in one. :)

lol I had the shuttle part they sold separately a year or two later. Did have the Terrordrome though

Deak_Starkiller
08-08-2017, 10:55 PM
You mean the Crusader space shuttle, dang, I remember paying just $34.99 for that at TRU back in the day! IIRC the Terrodrome was $54.99, and my local store used those pull tickets (like the ones you take the registers when getting a bike) since the planogram I would imagine couldn't accommodate even one box, let alone the Defiant or Flagg. :)

Captain_Piet
08-09-2017, 05:12 AM
I had the Flagg in fourth grade. What a cool toy but, as referenced above, it was not mobile. Always wanted the Terrordome too.

ReturnoftheJedi
08-09-2017, 05:13 AM
THe USS Flag was NOT a carrying case lol. The thing was as big as a twin bed! Once assembled, nobody was carrying that thing anywhere.

Apologies, Sir - I meant to say a playset and a carry-case rolled into one, but never mind.

JynForce
08-09-2017, 09:20 AM
I hope this isn't the only way to get Snoke.... but knowing out good pals at Hasbro, I wouldn't be surprised. If that's the case, hopefully they will have a 6" Snoke and I will just buy that one. Hasbro isn't getting $200 out of me just for one tiny 5POA figure

Deak_Starkiller
08-09-2017, 09:59 AM
We'll probably just get a variant release, just like Chewie and Finn from the TFA Falcon last time. It remains to be seen though if it will be better a received variant like the Poe pack-in from the TFA X-wing compared to his basic release counterpart.

DarkArtist
08-09-2017, 11:54 AM
I hope this isn't the only way to get Snoke.... but knowing out good pals at Hasbro, I wouldn't be surprised. If that's the case, hopefully they will have a 6" Snoke and I will just buy that one. Hasbro isn't getting $200 out of me just for one tiny 5POA figure

I'd be willing to bet that if Hasbro did give us an exclusive Snoke or Guard in this set that it would be a "holographic" version of Snoke. I guess it really all depends on the new movie and how much screen time and what the character is doing in TLJ... if it's just like TFA where he's a hologram then I can see them making it exclusive to the playset so as to not take a slot away from perhaps another figure with more action in the film

DarthPete
08-09-2017, 12:36 PM
Now that I think of it I'm not even sure I want a figure of snoke, lol.

DarkArtist
08-09-2017, 01:13 PM
I still want a Snoke figure but I'd prefer getting him as a large Hologram figure and throne... similar to the holographic Emperor figure like this one... maybe pack it with a General Hux and Kylo Ren:

http://www.rebelscum.com/TLCdisturbanceCJ.asp

sith_rising
08-09-2017, 01:46 PM
If they made Snoke an exclusive to a 200 dollar set, every box at Walmart would be vandalized. Ever looked at their Lego books with the little missing cover figure?

DarkManX
08-09-2017, 01:54 PM

This has happened for as long as I can remember. There were probably 5-10 figures a year you couldn't get in the GI Joe line without buying a vehicle/playset.

Deak_Starkiller
08-09-2017, 02:19 PM
True, but then again Hasbro has sprinkled some 'made up' figures into those Joe/Cobra vehicles, like the recent Snow Serpent and Alley Viper 'officers' to make an extra buck or two. :)

RogueKnite
08-12-2017, 09:17 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170812/1cc5e05442a9aabb917b80dd3e0c3196.png
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170812/493df702f1cf398a88f9d17aff776f06.png

RogueKnite
08-12-2017, 09:20 AM
Link:
https://www.amazon.es/Star-Wars-Flagship-Hasbro-C3801EU4/dp/B072569FVN/

Deak_Starkiller
08-12-2017, 09:28 AM
I'm assuming no spinning head or arm attachments when I get tired of playing with the star destroyer....just stare at it. Hmmm.

Masterfett
08-12-2017, 10:21 AM
Yeah, well we knew the odds that it wasn't meant for us. lol
I kind of see what they were going for, but I think t fails on both counts. It's not quite what I'd want from a playset. And if kids cannot play/interact with it in Droid form? I man what's the point of the Droid w/o play value?

I wonder if this is also a test run for a Death Star playset?

Snoke looks nice though, can't wait to see him in SA form!

Idpullthecurtain
08-12-2017, 10:55 AM
Yeah, well we knew the odds that it wasn't meant for us. lol
I kind of see what they were going for, but I think t fails on both counts. It's not quite what I'd want from a playset. And if kids cannot play/interact with it in Droid form? I man what's the point of the Droid w/o play value?

I wonder if this is also a test run for a Death Star playset?

Snoke looks nice though, can't wait to see him in SA form!

oh how lame. Why did they pack Snoke with this :(
What an awesome idea, can you imagine how awesome this would be if it was a Death Star.

RaptorBandito
08-12-2017, 11:05 AM
This is pretty close to what I expected. I'm actually a huge fan of the Galoob Mirco Machines stuff, so it's intriguing to me. I would like to see closer shots of the inside detail. I can fully understand why people wouldn't be interested in this though.

Coreworld
08-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Hmm, I'm getting a palitoy/kenner-esque Death Star playset vibe from it, will wait for it to drop in price though. This would have made more sense as a Starkiller base playset as opposed to Star Destroyer. I'm guessing in BB-8 form he will have maybe some lights and speak phrases from the film. I think Snoke is going to look bloody daft sat on his throne though.

DarthPete
08-12-2017, 12:12 PM
I dunno, I think the playset aspect looks ok, better than I expected anyway. Not $200 good, but better than I expected. Reading the fine print it apparently does not come with the force link bracelet, fwiw.

Masterfett
08-12-2017, 12:25 PM
I think Snoke is going to look bloody daft sat on his throne though.
Oh, you mean with his robed legs sticking straight out?

Seize9
08-12-2017, 12:35 PM
I just picked up the new Galactic Heroes BB8 playset for my son today...looking at this one now, seems much or less what I expected. I'll probably bite and grab this one for myself.

Julythrunov
08-12-2017, 12:59 PM
I'm sorry I just think the current Star Wars team is completely out of touch, and have been for years. I can almost "feel" the (flawed) thinking here.

Person#1 -"we want to do a playset to coincide with the new film so we have decided that a star destroyer is a great opportunity for a play environment".

Person#2 -"well we can't really shrink a star destroyer down, it would look terrible so how do we handle the outside of the set if we can't do it as a star destroyer on the outside. Maybe if we make it transform into something else"

Person#1 - "right, so we were thinking perhaps a very popular character like BB8, which immediately calls out "new entertainment character", and as a mechanical character we can have kids transform the playset inyo bb8, it'll be like having a bb8 close to their size, even though it won't function as a bb8 we can offer it as a really exciting display piece"

Person#2 - "right that's really great, bb8 is so popular, it's a very exciting opportunity"

Person#1 - "yea we are really excited about it"

Person#2 - "right it's an icon character we are really excited to bring to the collection"

Person#1 - "it's really exciting"

Person#2 - "I'm really excited, I'm such a HUGE Bb8 fan"

Person#1 - "we are so excited to be able to bring this piece to kids and collectors in a really exciting way"

Person#2 - "I'm just so excited by the opportunity to finally get a play set out to the fans"

etc, etc, etc,

darthsatan
08-12-2017, 01:09 PM
The red guard is different to the other one as well, so that's as expected and a good thing. It will provide the necessary hook for those remaining adult collectors who still care enough to want each figure.

Snoke looks interesting (very tall!) and makes me more intrigued for the film.

The playset is as expected, if not better. Not as good as vintage environmental pieces, but far superior to the flimsy POTF2 and TPM efforts, cardboard backdrops or AOTC arena. I also appreciate that it's intended for kids, who I believe actually like transforming-style toys.

First impressions from me are that it does what it is intended to do, though as with everything is perhaps a little overpriced.

MysterioMaximus
08-12-2017, 01:19 PM
Well I'll be darned. Snoke's tall after all. Well...I'm kind of glad he's not Yoda sized like some theorized...but I'm also glad he's not some Jack and the Beanstalk sized giant either. I never really felt a near human (or really sentient creature) that size really fit into SW, it would feel too high fantasy, Tolkien/George R.R. Martin to me. I think mostly only creatures/monsters work to that level of big I.E. the Rancor. He certainly looks to be taller than Vader and I'm thinking Chewbacca too. Pretty massive presence! I like it.

Coreworld
08-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Oh, you mean with his robed legs sticking straight out?

Yes, with his robe bunched up at the bottom of his feet, it's going to look odd to say the least. Would've preferred they had him sculpted in a sitting position like the Cinema scenes Jedi Duel sets Emporer.

Deak_Starkiller
08-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Star Wars....meet metahumans.....may you both prosper as one under the Force!

Kareth
08-12-2017, 02:24 PM
I'm sorry I just think the current Star Wars team is completely out of touch, and have been for years. I can almost "feel" the (flawed) thinking here.

Person#1 -"we want to do a playset to coincide with the new film so we have decided that a star destroyer is a great opportunity for a play environment".

Person#2 -"well we can't really shrink a star destroyer down, it would look terrible so how do we handle the outside of the set if we can't do it as a star destroyer on the outside. Maybe if we make it transform into something else"

Person#1 - "right, so we were thinking perhaps a very popular character like BB8, which immediately calls out "new entertainment character", and as a mechanical character we can have kids transform the playset inyo bb8, it'll be like having a bb8 close to their size, even though it won't function as a bb8 we can offer it as a really exciting display piece"

Person#2 - "right that's really great, bb8 is so popular, it's a very exciting opportunity"

Person#1 - "yea we are really excited about it"

Person#2 - "right it's an icon character we are really excited to bring to the collection"

Person#1 - "it's really exciting"

Person#2 - "I'm really excited, I'm such a HUGE Bb8 fan"

Person#1 - "we are so excited to be able to bring this piece to kids and collectors in a really exciting way"

Person#2 - "I'm just so excited by the opportunity to finally get a play set out to the fans"

etc, etc, etc,

This had me rolling. So spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Julythrunov
08-12-2017, 02:25 PM
I agree that playsets are very hard to sell especially if they start getting expensive. Smaller environment modules (like what they did for the 6" sdcc displays) I think would do better. I could be wrong but I'd bet we are looking at this years at-act.

DarkManX
08-12-2017, 02:33 PM
looks decent but need to see a better picture of the set transformed

DarthPete
08-12-2017, 02:33 PM
It makes me wonder how much profit is built in. Like I know it's 100% new tooling, but it seems like all of the sudden prices for stuff like this, TFA Falcon, the at-act have shot up to a point that warrants a sideways glance. I know it was 9 years ago, but I bought a BMF at the midnight opening for $119.99, and we all know what a marvel that piece is. This is nowhere near that great, but I bet at the same price point we'd see a couple of them moving through the checkout lanes in the next month.

Honestly I hope it sells well, if for no other reason than maybe we'll get something OT playset in the future (that's hopefully not a disappointment). Instead of the party line "we tried a playset and it just didn't sell well." Meanwhile the 6" TFA Tie Fighter was a resounding success (according to Hasbro).:rolleyes:

reyandbb8
08-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Hard to tell from the small pics, but transformed, I wonder if this could double a Death Star background once you drop OT figures into it?

The aesthetic looks pretty similar...

CHEWIE
08-12-2017, 02:55 PM
When I first found out they were making a big playset for TLJ, I was on the fence. Will they screw it up? Or would it be something amazing? With how bad the TFA product was, and the Rogue One stuff being overly dependent on Nerf features and more stupid oversized accessories, I wasn't feeling good about it. Then when I found out it turned into BB-8, I felt sick, especially when thinking it would turn out like this:

http://yakfaceforums.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/newbb8-1-768x548.jpg

Now that we've gotten to see what it actually looks like, I'm not let down, but also not blown away. It has a decent aesthetic appeal to it - not anything as cool at the GTP-Toys walls:

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/0e74074c4f06e5bf4584d90250fcf89f1ac4751b95e36809fa a79dbc88c3c58d.jpg?w=600&h=250

That being said, the more I try and zoom in on the interior of the playset, it looks like it has some pretty good details and I don't think there's too many cardboard/sticker inserts. Maybe there are some on the "bridge" area of the set and the throne room though. It's not a dream display piece, but it seems like they tried to find a way to get some collectors on board while also trying to entice parents to get it for Christmas presents.

I will wait for larger close up pics to make a final decision on this, because it's not horrible, it's just not overly impressive, either. The price is about what I'd expect.

Hasbro should be able to do better, and they can. That being said, I'm more in favor of it than I expected to be.

jedimasterc
08-12-2017, 03:03 PM
I am passing on this. The guard I was not a fan of when I saw a photo the 20 inch Jakks figure that was accidently put out in the UK store. The Snoke looks ok but not enough t make me go out and buy this thing. Nice try Hasbro. You couldn't give us a Death Star but gave us this.

indysolo007
08-12-2017, 03:08 PM
Looks like it requires batteries. I wonder what that means.

_Rune_Haako_
08-12-2017, 03:28 PM
It transforming into BB-9E would've made more sense.

CHEWIE
08-12-2017, 03:52 PM
Looks like it requires batteries. I wonder what that means.

I'm guessing for the Force Link features.

GNT
08-12-2017, 04:38 PM
It transforming into BB-9E would've made more sense.

BB-8 is more recognisable and easier to sell, overall it doesn't look horrible playset, just not my cup of tea - it's just not the "collectors" ideal looking version of a playset.

Coreworld
08-12-2017, 04:59 PM
Yeah, the more I look at it, the more doubt sets in if I'm going to bother, to me the quintessential thing that is a Star Destroyer is the bridge with the triangular viewport and sunken workpits, if these had been present then yes, they would have had my money, as it could have maybe fitted in with an Imperial display too, but seeing it just with a throne room as the main command station, if you will...I'm just not feeling it. I notice it comes with the same awful blaster that was packaged with the FO Snowspeeder.

Masterfett
08-12-2017, 05:58 PM
Yes, with his robe bunched up at the bottom of his feet, it's going to look odd to say the least. Would've preferred they had him sculpted in a sitting position like the Cinema scenes Jedi Duel sets Emporer.
Considering this is not the only time we'll Snoke released, I don't know why they didn't just make this one sculpted sitting down.

I just picked up the new Galactic Heroes BB8 playset for my son today...looking at this one now, seems much or less what I expected. I'll probably bite and grab this one for myself.
Makes me think this is where they got the idea from, looks pretty similar. And thought they could make it appealing for older kids and some adults.

The red guard is different to the other one as well, so that's as expected and a good thing. It will provide the necessary hook for those remaining adult collectors who still care enough to want each figure.
Which seems to be the theme that's slowly emerging, and the only way to get them all is to buy several different sets. lol
If each one has a specific look, it's going to be very different that buying 1 ERG several times. If there is only 4 in the movie, it's not so bad. But if they're all over, can you imagine how many you'd need to buy? Definitely isn't happening in TVC/TBS line.

Maverick10126
08-12-2017, 06:55 PM
I'm thinking this isn't going to be near the hot item they are hoping for. The more I look at it the less interested I am. Reminds me too much of the TFA falcon which was a fine toy but extremely overpriced for what it was. Same can be applied here. The problem is this is going to lead to players don't sell talk from Hasbro.

Darth_Broem
08-12-2017, 07:29 PM
I actually like it. A decent attempt at something different at least. At least you can place action figures into a playset instead of a ship for once.

jabbabon
08-12-2017, 08:18 PM
What really bugs me about hasbro and things like this is the constant price gauging. $200 for this? I just bought my nephew a cars 3 lightning McQueen power wheels that he can sit in and drive around plus has lights and sounds for $150. It was completely newly tooled and looks great and he has so much fun in it! I look at that toy which is also a Disney brand and I look at most new hasbro Star Wars toys and I seriously feel ripped off. Who is this toy for? Parents aren't going to see value in this, kids can't afford it, collectors don't want it. What the heck?

ZiggyStarkiller
08-12-2017, 08:28 PM
If I was a kid I would have loved this honestly. That being said $200 is a hefty price tag. $150 would be fairly reasonable though. I'm predicted seeing this marked down significantly.

Gobi
08-12-2017, 09:51 PM
I think it looks great. Like a giant Micro Machine transforming head playset but agree it seems over price. $100.00 to $125.00 seems more reasonable. The figures would retail for $7.99 a pieces so that's $16.00. Not seeing another $184.00 worth of value there. Not yet.

DarkManX
08-12-2017, 10:02 PM
I think it looks great. Like a giant Micro Machine transforming head playset but agree it seems over price. $100.00 to $125.00 seems more reasonable. The figures would retail for $7.99 a pieces so that's $16.00. Not seeing another $184.00 worth of value there. Not yet.

It includes a Force Link gauntlet,etc. The Force Link Starter Kit is $30, so that leaves $154 for the actual set.

One thing I've noticed over the years is that ,as a community, when we see the price of a vehicle/set the general consensus is that its 25-40% too expensive. BMF, BAT-AT, Republic Gunships,etc all had the same criticisms of price.

mandalore9998
08-12-2017, 10:07 PM
The Gauntlet is actually sold separately. The disclaimer on the box reads that it requires the Gauntlet only found in the starter set.

DarkManX
08-12-2017, 10:21 PM
The Gauntlet is actually sold separately. The disclaimer on the box reads that it requires the Gauntlet only found in the starter set.

Good catch. I was too busy zooming in on the playset and didn't read the text below it. I thought one of the checklists on yakface said it came with the gauntlet.

John32
08-12-2017, 10:56 PM
What chaps my hide is Smoke has a throne but can't sit down on it due to no knee articulation and plastic robes.

DarkManX
08-12-2017, 11:05 PM
What chaps my hide is Smoke has a throne but can't sit down on it due to no knee articulation and plastic robes.

customize him a footstool. Supreme Leaders need to unwind too.

Morgan4242
08-12-2017, 11:05 PM
I like it I think we'll get it.

Deak_Starkiller
08-12-2017, 11:15 PM
customize him a footstool. Supreme Leaders need to unwind too.

Or perhaps we forgot to read some part of the box that says, "Exclusive - Special Snoke torso accessory included. Convert Snoke to reenact the infamous throne room scene aboard the flagship of the sinister First Order."

DarkManX
08-12-2017, 11:37 PM
Or perhaps we forgot to read some part of the box that says, "Exclusive - Special Snoke torso accessory included. Convert Snoke to reenact the infamous throne room scene aboard the flagship of the sinister First Order."

He could suffer from Gigantism which makes his knees all messed up. Like Great Khali, except dressed like Golddust.

Idpullthecurtain
08-13-2017, 10:16 AM
I think for kids this is a great set, much like the TFA Millenium Falcon. But thats a really hefty price tag for a playset that doesnt look that exciting. In 2017 not many people want to pay $200 for a plastic playset for action figures, surely. And Hasbro wonder why playsets dont sell.....

Maverick10126
08-13-2017, 10:30 AM
Once again, they really should bring back the potf2 style players. Yeah they'd cost a bit more than back then but the size makes it a great impulse buy. Not sure what I'd pick for TFA in small scale. Maybe the interrogation room on the star destroyer. Maybe part of Maz's castle. Even just the rubble of the castle.

Coreworld
08-13-2017, 11:16 AM
I think for kids this is a great set, much like the TFA Millenium Falcon. But thats a really hefty price tag for a playset that doesnt look that exciting. In 2017 not many people want to pay $200 for a plastic playset for action figures, surely. And Hasbro wonder why playsets dont sell.....

The real trick will be in what gimmicks this force link unleashes, as you say though in an age when kids are wanting smartphones/tablets the odds are stacked against this.

Coreworld
08-13-2017, 11:19 AM
Once again, they really should bring back the potf2 style players. Yeah they'd cost a bit more than back then but the size makes it a great impulse buy. Not sure what I'd pick for TFA in small scale. Maybe the interrogation room on the star destroyer. Maybe part of Maz's castle. Even just the rubble of the castle.

Agreed, module style sets that can be attached to create a larger enviroment piece is the way to go, it's the only way we could get a decent Death Star playset without having to sell major organs on the black market.

Masterfett
08-13-2017, 11:27 AM
Could you imagine getting the Sail Barge in two pieces, half from TRU and the other half from Target? lol

R1G4R3PO
08-13-2017, 01:15 PM
Could you imagine getting the Sail Barge in two pieces, half from TRU and the other half from Target? lol

Well, if both were at target and same asst they'd share dpcis so they could keep restocking the same half while i
Across the country the other is getting stocked. So half at try and half at target may not be too bad.

DarthPete
08-13-2017, 01:23 PM

Well, if both were at target and same asst they'd share dpcis so they could keep restocking the same half while i
Across the country the other is getting stocked. So half at try and half at target may not be too bad.

The two of youse! Keep it down! Don't go giving Hasbro any ideas!

Billy_Ray
08-13-2017, 01:28 PM
The real trick will be in what gimmicks this force link unleashes, as you say though in an age when kids are wanting smartphones/tablets the odds are stacked against this.

The Force Link appears to be nothing more than an updated version of Comm-Tech. It interacts with chips inside the figures, vehicles, and what not to play voices and sounds.

Deak_Starkiller
08-13-2017, 01:44 PM
I just hope kids don't get a wrong impression of how the Force works (in some sense)....something that you wear to access something non-corporeal that is likely not shown inthe film itself. Sure, that sounds like a juvenile assertion, but then again a ladies epilator as a 1999 Star Wars prop. :)

darthsatan
08-13-2017, 01:59 PM
...then again a ladies epilator as a 1999 Star Wars prop. :)

Midichlorians = female leg stubble

DonWanKihotay
08-13-2017, 02:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jGuvTQB.jpg?1

My guess is it will suck due to a ridiculous design by trying to make it transform into BB-8.

What's hysterical is, this is the kind of approach that would have been great for an actual full sphere opening Death Star play set, either for 3.75" or for micro figures, which as far as I know they never made a full one.
One was only half the sphere, the other opened up to reveal Tatoine inside or some crap.

Force forbid the actually make a full sphere Death Star play-set with a Death Star inside.

DarthPete
08-13-2017, 02:25 PM
Oh I have little doubt that inside of five years we're going to get exactly this set slightly modded (ala Mustafar/Akator) as "the Death Star playset collectors have always asked for!"

darthsatan
08-13-2017, 02:25 PM
Just noticed how the First Order put all their giant troopers in the basement and all the midgets on the floor above it.

darthsatan
08-13-2017, 02:28 PM
Fyrther to that (no edit) one has to wonder if that is a totally original trash compactor on the bottom left, accompanied by a totally original torture chair or operating table bottom centre.

darthsatan
08-13-2017, 02:29 PM
*Further, obviously

NO EDIT, obviouslyer

DonWanKihotay
08-13-2017, 02:39 PM
Oh I have little doubt that inside of five years we're going to get exactly this set slightly modded (ala Mustafar/Akator) as "the Death Star playset collectors have always asked for!"
I don't know, with the entire top 3rd being made up of BB's extra head section, exterior don't work so great for a solid DS.
They'd be reworking allot.
Honestly don't get how they can conceive of this, or the DS which opens up to reveal freakin Tatooine inside ...surprise!?

But the idea of a straight forward actual full sphere DS outside, with the DS inside, eludes them? LOL!

CHEWIE
08-13-2017, 03:19 PM
I personally prefer no sphere shape at all. Upscaled Micro Collection from the early 1980s would be better.

Deak_Starkiller
08-13-2017, 03:32 PM
Force forbid the actually make a full sphere Death Star play-set with a Death Star inside.

May work for Lego or Galactic Heroes, but I can imagine a kid tugging on his mom or day saying in front of a Hasbro one, "Mommy, Daddy,...I don't remember the Death Star being that small."

DonWanKihotay
08-13-2017, 04:07 PM
I personally prefer no sphere shape at all. Upscaled Micro Collection from the early 1980s would be better.
One about this scale with the exterior of an actual DS, that opens up and reveals different fold out sections and platforms like this, would have been pretty great! @ 3.75, Action Fleet or Micro.

May work for Lego or Galactic Heroes, but I can imagine a kid tugging on his mom or day saying in front of a Hasbro one, "Mommy, Daddy,...I don't remember the Death Star being that small."
Fine stick with the Mega Star Destroyer inside a BB8 kid! ?:P

Deak_Starkiller
08-13-2017, 04:28 PM
Actually, Mommy's answer, "I know, honey...but daddy and a lot of his friends wanted the people who makes the toys to make them happy too, and this is the best they could do."

CHEWIE
08-13-2017, 04:57 PM
One about this scale with the exterior of an actual DS, that opens up and reveals different fold out sections and platforms like this, would have been pretty great! @ 3.75, Action Fleet or Micro.

I've given my son the micro action fleet stuff, but his preference (and mine) was always this style:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rxxw-mvSJFU/UYb_nt7fP-I/AAAAAAAAEP4/CFDB6zfbqrM/s1600/014.JPG

An upscaled version of that would be amazing. It could be sold in two sections, just like the good old days.

jedimasterc
08-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Fyrther to that (no edit) one has to wonder if that is a totally original trash compactor on the bottom left, accompanied by a totally original torture chair or operating table bottom centre.

So, that's where Han and Finn stick Phasma. Who would have thought. :sneaky:

DarkManX
08-13-2017, 06:47 PM
I'll need a better look but it looks like it could double as a death star/starkiller base with the trash compactor and torture rack. Customizers could probably replace Snoke's throne with the old potf2 emperor's throne.

Seize9
08-13-2017, 07:15 PM
Looks like there will be another version of the playset available with the Force Link bracelet and different packaging from what we saw listed on Amazon. This was sighted supposedly at Target.

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/20818970_10213416570270623_3434788932711865677_o.j pg?oh=003ed41d1b2a98a397d91458340b882b&oe=5A26DCAA

DarkManX
08-13-2017, 07:25 PM
HUZZAH!!! That's the one I was referring to earlier

Jayson
08-13-2017, 07:55 PM
Good catch. I was too busy zooming in on the playset and didn't read the text below it. I thought one of the checklists on yakface said it came with the gauntlet.

There are 2 versions of the playset. One without, one with the gauntlet. The later leaked tonight ^

Jayson
08-13-2017, 07:56 PM
HUZZAH!!! That's the one I was referring to earlier

Our intel is/was good.

RogueKnite
08-13-2017, 09:20 PM
Our intel is/was good.

Will the one w/ the gauntlet be more than $199.99?

DarkManX
08-13-2017, 10:09 PM
Will the one w/ the gauntlet be more than $199.99?

According to yakface it's 199 for the set with gauntlet

http://yakfaceforums.com/main/2017/08/02/tlj-breakdown-dpcis-skus-and-upcs/

DJ121
08-13-2017, 11:11 PM
I've posted about this elsewhere, but is anyone else afraid this will be another AT-ACT disaster? We finally get a playset from Hasbro, and they price it at $200.00. Still trying to figure out why they make it convert into BB-8. Maybe just to help take less space for storage? I just have a feeling they did this with intention of it to fail, so they can play the "We told you playsets don't sell" card.

DarkManX
08-14-2017, 12:16 AM
I've posted about this elsewhere, but is anyone else afraid this will be another AT-ACT disaster? We finally get a playset from Hasbro, and they price it at $200.00. Still trying to figure out why they make it convert into BB-8. Maybe just to help take less space for storage? I just have a feeling they did this with intention of it to fail, so they can play the "We told you playsets don't sell" card.

Why would they spend all the money to make and distribute this set if they wanted it to fail? Would be a lot easier to just not spend the money and continue to ignore collectors' requests for playsets. I have no idea if this playset will sell or languish on the shelves but this is a different situation than the TFA Falcon and AT-ACT debacles. Those vehicles were primarily bashed for not being rereleases of the BMF and BAT-AT that most collectors (including myself) wanted to see on shelves. Only things you can really compare to the BB-8/Star Destroyer are the OG star destroyer and the OG death star playset. If collectors don't buy it, it won't be because it's "inferior". The 200 dollar range is the top level I'd spend on a big ship, whether it's this or a the wet dream jabba sail barge. It's a good chunk of change but not really out line relative to non toy products. A video game is 60 bucks and more and more that's a fairly stripped down version of the game, requiring you to buy DLC. Going to the movies can easily cost $50 for 2 people,etc,etc

Batman
08-14-2017, 12:33 AM
Hmmm... another torture chair... ESB torture followed by carbonite?

DJ121
08-14-2017, 07:06 AM
Why would they spend all the money to make and distribute this set if they wanted it to fail? Would be a lot easier to just not spend the money and continue to ignore collectors' requests for playsets. I have no idea if this playset will sell or languish on the shelves but this is a different situation than the TFA Falcon and AT-ACT debacles. Those vehicles were primarily bashed for not being rereleases of the BMF and BAT-AT that most collectors (including myself) wanted to see on shelves. Only things you can really compare to the BB-8/Star Destroyer are the OG star destroyer and the OG death star playset. If collectors don't buy it, it won't be because it's "inferior". The 200 dollar range is the top level I'd spend on a big ship, whether it's this or a the wet dream jabba sail barge. It's a good chunk of change but not really out line relative to non toy products. A video game is 60 bucks and more and more that's a fairly stripped down version of the game, requiring you to buy DLC. Going to the movies can easily cost $50 for 2 people,etc,etc

While that may be true, you're forgetting that Hasbro said to reissue the BMF or the BAT-AT, the cost would be even more than it was last time TRU had it as an exclusive. The falcon is one of, if not THE best toy upgrade we have ever seen from them, and probably ever will. Now they could have just as easily reissued that, and given us a new radar dish and included the same three figures that came in the hunk of junk crap fest they gave us in 2015. BUT they instead invested several thousand MORE dollars into a new design, new tooling and getting it out to stores. It had playset features, but the size and price point is what drove it to clearance isles. They are no strangers to spending money on things that don't work out. Command? Fighter Pods? Angry Birds Star Wars? Micro Machines? Those failed the first time, but someone thought it was a fantastic idea to bring them back.

I could be totally wrong, and I hope I am. I'd LOVE to have playsets come back in a big way, where there are different price points based on size and features. The ability to convert into BB-8 still bugs me beyond words. I think it just reminds me too much of the Transformers cross over line (which also had a pretty short lifespan) and I was never a fan of that. Playsets shouldn't have to "convert" or "change" into anything else. Maybe they could have saved some money and lowered the cost by just having it be a playset? I'm sure there is a lot of added cost due to engineering a playset with moving and folding parts.

Julythrunov
08-14-2017, 07:30 AM
Hasbro fundamentally misunderstands collectors and kids alike. Those concepts mentioned above weren't just failures, they were "no brainer" failures easily predicted by most of us here. Whenever Hasbro does something (Ie nerf), most of us here are immediately aware of what a bad idea it is and we endure it until Hasbro catches up and it goes away. This happens with products, case assortment choices, etc. We aren't always right but often we are. The last member of the Star Wars team to "get it" was Darrly De Priest.

Of course all of those stunts and experiments were "huge successes", for Hasbro, according Hasbro and their apologists.

R1G4R3PO
08-14-2017, 07:45 AM
by no means am I a Hasbro apologist but those craptastic items -from a certain pov- were successes because Hasbro managed to sucker retailers into buying mass quantities and that's where Hasbro made their $$. In retrospect, DDP was probably the last SW teamster to understand consumers, but there were still some turd ideas on his watch. After seeing a few of the video interviews from sdcc this year, I'll have to say the 2 guys interviewed in most of them are aware of consumer concerns and were willing to admit it..so at least they put on a darn good front. At least they didn't bad-talk collectors, something DDP was guilty of doing

Idpullthecurtain
08-14-2017, 08:04 AM
While that may be true, you're forgetting that Hasbro said to reissue the BMF or the BAT-AT, the cost would be even more than it was last time TRU had it as an exclusive. The falcon is one of, if not THE best toy upgrade we have ever seen from them, and probably ever will. Now they could have just as easily reissued that, and given us a new radar dish and included the same three figures that came in the hunk of junk crap fest they gave us in 2015. BUT they instead invested several thousand MORE dollars into a new design, new tooling and getting it out to stores. It had playset features, but the size and price point is what drove it to clearance isles. They are no strangers to spending money on things that don't work out. Command? Fighter Pods? Angry Birds Star Wars? Micro Machines? Those failed the first time, but someone thought it was a fantastic idea to bring them back.

I could be totally wrong, and I hope I am. I'd LOVE to have playsets come back in a big way, where there are different price points based on size and features. The ability to convert into BB-8 still bugs me beyond words. I think it just reminds me too much of the Transformers cross over line (which also had a pretty short lifespan) and I was never a fan of that. Playsets shouldn't have to "convert" or "change" into anything else. Maybe they could have saved some money and lowered the cost by just having it be a playset? I'm sure there is a lot of added cost due to engineering a playset with moving and folding parts.

Its weird to me that playsets are so rare. It seem like the 80's was full of playsets, all action figure lines had a playset and some of them were huge and very expensive. The modern SW line has always shied away. The Vintage line had quite a few and weirdly Hasbro never went back and redid them. They do suggest that playsets dont sell well, and maybe they dont, but its a shame.
I am sure this one wont sell well at all, and its sad cos it looks to be a nice playset.

MysterioMaximus
08-14-2017, 08:20 AM
Its weird to me that playsets are so rare. It seem like the 80's was full of playsets, all action figure lines had a playset and some of them were huge and very expensive. The modern SW line has always shied away. The Vintage line had quite a few and weirdly Hasbro never went back and redid them. They do suggest that playsets dont sell well, and maybe they dont, but its a shame.
I am sure this one wont sell well at all, and its sad cos it looks to be a nice playset.

Yeah. These days seeing a playset is like seeing a unicorn in Time Square. With the progression of action figures, I can only imagine what playsets would be like now. I could only dream of screen accurate stuff. Sadly it just seems they've gone the way of the dinosaur. There are...options though. I don't know is Hasbro would ever consider it, highly doubtful, but take the Diamond Select Ghostbusters line. Each comes with a section of diorama. If you collect them all, you can piece together an absolutely gigantic rooftop scene from the end of the film. I would love if Hasbro were to integrate something like that in...but I think that's probably about as likely as hitting the lotto.

One way I get my playset fix out is via LEGO. It's pretty much the only way to get locations from SW in toy form anymore. You've got the ewok village, Jabba's palace and rancor pit, endor bunker, carbonite chamber, death star, emperors throne room, cantina, echo base, etc. But sadly, they cost an arm and a leg usually and also LEGO isn't for everyone.

DarkArtist
08-14-2017, 09:10 AM
I'm withholding Judgement till I see the actual playset at retail but so far I'm liking the look of it. it seems to have some cool play features and really looks more like a Death Star than a Star Destroyer .

Jabbaman
08-14-2017, 01:12 PM
Well according to yakface forums somebody found one at their Walmart and it was already on sale lol
http://yakfaceforums.com/main/2017/08/14/bb-8-2-in-1-mega-playset-found-at-walmart/

Jayson
08-14-2017, 01:34 PM
Well according to yakface forums somebody found one at their Walmart and it was already on sale lol
http://yakfaceforums.com/main/2017/08/14/bb-8-2-in-1-mega-playset-found-at-walmart/

"Clearance" is in quotes because this is actually the retail price at WM. WM is known for marking products on "clearance" but selling at full price. Note there is no "Was $XXX.XX" price under the sale price. Again, another sign of Walmarts trickery.

DontDissTheFett
08-14-2017, 01:42 PM
That's not trickery, someone made a mistake a created the wrong kind of tag. There actually is a "was" price which happens to be the same as the "now" price. They probably scanned the set along with all the other stuff that's on clearance to make tags. Easy mistake because a lot of Star Wars stuff there is actually being clearanced out

Billy_Ray
08-14-2017, 02:21 PM
I'm withholding Judgement till I see the actual playset at retail but so far I'm liking the look of it. it seems to have some cool play features and really looks more like a Death Star than a Star Destroyer .

Hmm...guess I'm not the only one then. I think this set looks kind of cool. I'm not thrilled about the BB-8 transforming action, but the actual playset itself looks pretty neat. I don't know if it's necessarily $200 neat though.

bob_solo
08-14-2017, 07:10 PM
Hmm...guess I'm not the only one then. I think this set looks kind of cool. I'm not thrilled about the BB-8 transforming action, but the actual playset itself looks pretty neat. I don't know if it's necessarily $200 neat though.

I'm tempted as well, especially after seeing the Snoke figure, but that price is rough. Plus, I need to see just how big that box actually is as well. Don't know if I even have room for it.

Masterfett
08-14-2017, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure what the point of making two different version is. Giving those who've already bought the Gauntlet an option w/o getting stuck another one? Why bother, with all the other items that will surely come with one. It already seems redundant. Gauntlet by itself, Gauntlet w/Speeder, Gauntlet w/BB-8 Playset, Gauntlet w/Ship, Gauntlet w/whatever else they can cram it with. So making two version of a BIG ticket item seems a bit much. IDK..

I've given my son the micro action fleet stuff, but his preference (and mine) was always this style:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rxxw-mvSJFU/UYb_nt7fP-I/AAAAAAAAEP4/CFDB6zfbqrM/s1600/014.JPG

An upscaled version of that would be amazing. It could be sold in two sections, just like the good old days.

Agreed, up-scaled to 3.75" would look really good. IMO

I know it doesn't serve second duty when closed like BB-8 somehow manages to, but it does number one(well designed playset) great!

Sometimes you have have to pick one thing and do it well, not overhaul the plumbing so much that in the end it's just too complicated.
I've forgiven them in the past when combining vehicles and playets together, as it serves two usable functions decent.

But this set look, we...

DJ121
08-14-2017, 10:52 PM
Hasbro fundamentally misunderstands collectors and kids alike. Those concepts mentioned above weren't just failures, they were "no brainer" failures easily predicted by most of us here. Whenever Hasbro does something (Ie nerf), most of us here are immediately aware of what a bad idea it is and we endure it until Hasbro catches up and it goes away. This happens with products, case assortment choices, etc. We aren't always right but often we are. The last member of the Star Wars team to "get it" was Darrly De Priest.

Of course all of those stunts and experiments were "huge successes", for Hasbro, according Hasbro and their apologists.

They did openly admit that Command did not sell like they had expected. And judging from the comment one of them made at the SDCC panel, they sort of realized Micro Machines were a mistake to bring back as well.

Maverick10126
08-14-2017, 11:26 PM
I don't think micro machines were a mistake to bring back, it was just their execution. The ships warped too easily, they skimped on figures and their price seemed a little steep. It also didn't help that titanium and hot wheels were putting out similar products. Lack of figures killed it. The old sets came with what, 5 figures and a ship?

Deak_Starkiller
08-15-2017, 12:15 AM
Figure packs I think would have helped, particularly stormtroopers, other FO troops/officers, resistance troopers, Takodana aliens and so on. Remains to be seen if the sales on the SW Command line left a bad taste as well. Plus the lack of figures made it annoying in some sense getting the same repeat figures/vehicles, particularly Poe, Kylo Ren and Poe's X-wing.

DarkArtist
08-15-2017, 08:01 AM

the classic Kenner Micro Collection was my favorite toys from the 80's. I still have a complete set of all them including the mail-away figures. I'd love to see Hasbro tackle 3.75" versions of these playsets including Cloud City and the scraped Kenner ideas like Dagobah, Jabba's Palace, Bespin Torture Chamber, Hoth Bacta tank and the DSII Throne Room

VideoViper
08-15-2017, 09:08 AM
Looks good for what it is. I'd exspect this to be incorporated into bigger Death Star Playsets, However I think a lot of us will be waiting for coupons & sales.

DontDissTheFett
08-15-2017, 11:17 AM
the classic Kenner Micro Collection was my favorite toys from the 80's. I still have a complete set of all them including the mail-away figures. I'd love to see Hasbro tackle 3.75" versions of these playsets including Cloud City and the scraped Kenner ideas like Dagobah, Jabba's Palace, Bespin Torture Chamber, Hoth Bacta tank and the DSII Throne Room

I loved the micro collection too, and have the mail away set and all the hoth sets. Unfortunately, the micro line did poorly enough to warrant cancelation back then, I'm not sure that it'll do much better now. Especially at modern day prices

DarthPete
08-15-2017, 11:30 AM
Someone should scan, enlarge to 1:18, 3D print and sell the vintage micro collection DS as a kit.

RogueKnite
08-15-2017, 12:26 PM
Other than a vague argument of "kids," is there a reason why this set couldn't have folded up into a FO Star Destroyer instead of BB-8?

HothHan
08-15-2017, 01:30 PM
I am trying to convince myself I don't need this. At the same time I am practicing my best "it's actually for our son" face for my wife.

VideoViper
08-15-2017, 02:17 PM
Someone should scan, enlarge to 1:18, 3D print and sell the vintage micro collection DS as a kit.

That would be very expensive, so else someone would have done it. I designed a Death Star wall (1) & it was gonna cost $600+ to print.

RogueKnite
08-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Some close up pics:

https://twitter.com/captainbluray/status/897578117988061185

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170816/bde19ffedb934a48d1cd8055255811af.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170816/bb1afb7f8e7db4db62a0ca6009275ef2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170816/0b7ca51c57a8d450b50d4a663bd5ebad.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170816/039fb2f8e586b079cbc4aeb675dbe659.jpg

Maverick10126
08-15-2017, 08:26 PM
For as big as it is, there doesn't seem to be a ton going on....it's a little underwhelming. The shape of BB-8 is really restricting. Every section looks kinda cool....then the wall tapers from the BB-8 curve. It's just not doing it for me.

CHEWIE
08-15-2017, 08:46 PM

I keep hoping the 3D printing tech and cost will get to a reasonable point, but right now the tech isn't there to make it look good and be affordable in my opinion. Needs to be plastic injected molds like these guys are doing...

http://galactictradingpost.com/index.html

DarkManX
08-15-2017, 10:56 PM
I keep hoping the 3D printing tech and cost will get to a reasonable point, but right now the tech isn't there to make it look good and be affordable in my opinion. Needs to be plastic injected molds like these guys are doing...

http://galactictradingpost.com/index.html

yeah, 3D printing hasn't taken off like many thought it would a few years ago. It will be interesting to see if it stays stagnant or if finally turns the corner in the near future.

Maverick10126
08-15-2017, 11:15 PM
It's useful for prototyping and then creating the molds.

DarkManX
08-16-2017, 04:24 AM
It's useful for prototyping and then creating the molds.

most definitely. I was more referring to the general consensus that it would be the primary way to make figures going forward. Hasn't quite worked out that way yet. There was even concern a few years ago about how the practice of 3D printing firearms was going to have blood flowing through the streets.

GNT
08-16-2017, 04:42 AM
Give it 5-10 years and it'll be more affordable and probably the norm.

activistfangirl
08-16-2017, 01:06 PM
http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/medium/hgw9yd7.jpg

DarthPete
08-16-2017, 01:09 PM
I'll give them this, it is​ pretty big.

ReturnoftheJedi
08-16-2017, 04:58 PM

Suppose we attempted to custom-make our own from scratch in the style of the later-released films, Return of the Jedi, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith and some more of A New Hope as well as the Clone Wars and Sequel trilogy?

ReturnoftheJedi
08-16-2017, 04:59 PM

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/4908/bb81.jpg

Wow...it looks like an upscaled version of a proposed Micro Machines playset that they decided to drop at the last minute.

Nighthawk
08-16-2017, 05:44 PM
Wow! Just saw this on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/192279715337

Very nice detailed shots. Too bad none of the figures will ever be able to be posed in the box art. Just look at Snoke at the top sitting on the throne and you wonder how thought out this set really was. Nice though that the interrogation table seems to be in the bottom floor.

Nighthawk
08-16-2017, 05:47 PM
Just noticed that it includes the Force Link too. At least they thought of that. I think if I was a kid, I would actually love to have this. As an adult, not so much, but then again, it would be nice displaying my Walmart BS 3.75" figures in there I guess. Doesn't have to use Snoke and stuff.

R1G4R3PO
08-16-2017, 06:11 PM
^ couldn't help but chuckle at that eBay listing a couple posts up. Seller says " in hand" but then says " be the 1st to own it"..well if it's in hand, then the buyer cannot be the first to own it, the seller owned it first.
Seriously though, despite eBay being a main source of leaks, I fell disney& Hasbro should go after eBay for hosting these auctions. They make a big deal if a fan site mentions these actions but seem to not be bothered that eBay is participating in violating the embargo. One would think disneyvwould have enough clout to take on ebay. ( but on the other hand, eBay has been prime source for getting the Disney BADs so it's a tough call.

Masterfett
08-16-2017, 06:14 PM
I'm actually kind of curious to see what Star Destroyer this is modeled after. lol
Is it a standard SD type ship, or smaller round one? otherwise how does BB-8 play into it?

Nighthawk
08-16-2017, 06:33 PM
^ couldn't help but chuckle at that eBay listing a couple posts up. Seller says " in hand" but then says " be the 1st to own it"..well if it's in hand, then the buyer cannot be the first to own it, the seller owned it first.

Well, unless seller bought 2 and opened one, then the buyer can be the first to own an opened one.

If anything though, Disney and Hasbro should be going after the stores letting these get sold. If the person bought this in a store and decided to sell it, they aren't breaking any laws unless they somehow stole it from Hasbro.

I can probably wait for clearance on any of these items for the movie. Maybe a few of the items, if the reviews really sway me I would get at full price.

R1G4R3PO
08-16-2017, 07:07 PM
^still, eBay is making money off of the sale.

Gobi
08-16-2017, 09:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS1weKHKOM8

Deak_Starkiller
08-16-2017, 10:00 PM
I'm actually kind of curious to see what Star Destroyer this is modeled after. lol
Is it a standard SD type ship, or smaller round one? otherwise how does BB-8 play into it?

BB-8 obviously has the best compact size in the Saga short of a training remote to act as a playset storage medium. Also gives them an excuse to get us a near life-size BB-8, especially the lurkers who wanted to get their hands on those Target BB-8 displays. Anyway, here's hoping Jakks will take a crack at it for the Mega Figure line.

DarkManX
08-16-2017, 10:45 PM
I'm definitely leaning towards getting this.

Maverick10126
08-16-2017, 11:32 PM
Interesting how it folds....so the playset is taller when it's in BB-8 form and the head essentially doesn't do anything as far as play value.

If a playset is going to transform I prefer it to expand not shrink....

darthsatan
08-17-2017, 01:02 AM
So I was right - trash comactor and interrogation chair. So are there no new ideas to be had?
Who is that in the chair? It even looks like a Han figure.

Idpullthecurtain
08-17-2017, 01:04 AM
So I was right - trash comactor and interrogation chair. So are there no new ideas to be had?
Who is that in the chair? It even looks like a Han figure.

Is this Poes chair? Or does someone else get interrogated, again..... hmmm

Deak_Starkiller
08-17-2017, 01:25 AM
You're kidding me...is that the same cannon that's on the FO speeder?? What did Hasbro do....recycle all the ones from the speeders that got returned defective from the retail stores?!

Masterfett
08-17-2017, 05:24 PM
It's probably the same chair form TFA, which would have made more sense for that release.

CHEWIE
08-20-2017, 01:29 PM
I would assume same chair as well, so the kids can use their imagination and use it on whoever they want. Even Luke!

I like how it has areas that are generic enough to be from whatever First Order setting you pretty much want from TFA, and likely from TLJ.

Coreworld
08-20-2017, 03:30 PM
A few pictures of the upcoming set:
http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_0703.PNG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_0703.PNG) http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_07049.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_07049.JPG)

Coreworld
08-20-2017, 03:32 PM
I really hope that Phasma doesn't end up in the trash compactor again and it becomes a running joke.

DarthPete
08-20-2017, 04:18 PM
I kind of wonder if they made it 'transform' into BB8 so it would have some empty bulk? Puff the price up a bit? I do like the set the more I look at it, especially after my imagination running wild at what kind of monstrosity we could have gotten before the pictures leaked. But again, not to sound like 'old frugal collector', not at $200. $99.99 and it'd be under my arm on 9/1.

Any guesses as to who will be used to replace Snoke by swappers?

Here's my guess..
http://www.rebelscum.com/swsaga/sw03ssJHC2yaraelfr.jpg

Darth_Jawa
08-20-2017, 06:56 PM
I kind of wonder if they made it 'transform' into BB8 so it would have some empty bulk? Puff the price up a bit? I do like the set the more I look at it, especially after my imagination running wild at what kind of monstrosity we could have gotten before the pictures leaked. But again, not to sound like 'old frugal collector', not at $200. $99.99 and it'd be under my arm on 9/1.

Any guesses as to who will be used to replace Snoke by swappers?

Here's my guess..
http://www.rebelscum.com/swsaga/sw03ssJHC2yaraelfr.jpg

Not likely. They'll need this figure to customize Snoke to enable him to sit properly on his throne. After they customize the throne to raise it an inch or so...

DarthMickeyMoose
08-20-2017, 08:22 PM
I expect this to be a dud. Sorry it's not what Adult Star Wars Collectors want in anyway. Kids won't come near this even if you hide $50.00 dollars bills in it for them to find! So Hasbro will fail again with a large ticket item.

Masterfett
08-20-2017, 08:22 PM
I highly doubt anyone would use him. Most people just throw in some handy random figure, that no one wants. Also, it often never looks like the swapped item.

MyenShi
08-21-2017, 02:41 AM
There's no window so they could a) just steal it or b) stick whatever figure they want in the box if they're so inclined.

What a waste of plastic. Too poorly designed for adults, too expensive for kids.

Should've given us a $200 giant Resistance Bomber or First Order Heavy Assault Walker the size of the BAT-AT.

Nerdherfer
08-21-2017, 03:22 AM
Maybe just return it and say "What the fudge? Someone has swapped out the figures for two Power Rangers!.. Man I don't even want it anymore.." #sadface

lordtyrannus
08-21-2017, 05:32 AM
My suggestion to collectors buying this set, especially for the figures, is to buy it on Force Friday when no one has had the opportunity to purchase it, take it home, switch out or steal the figures, and return it.

sith_rising
08-21-2017, 06:48 AM
I expect this to be a dud. Sorry it's not what Adult Star Wars Collectors want in anyway. Kids won't come near this even if you hide $50.00 dollars bills in it for them to find! So Hasbro will fail again with a large ticket item.

I agree. It's something we (adut collectors) would have loved back in the late 90's Micro Machines days, but not today. I expect they'll all be vandalized, anyways. Bad decision.

Coreworld
08-21-2017, 03:13 PM
Some nice close ups of Snoke in 3.75 form have appeared at the following link, I was right, he does look bloody daft sat on the throne.

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/08/more-the-last-jedi-toy-leaks-continue-to-hit-the-web-sharing-more-interesting-details.html

Coreworld
08-21-2017, 03:47 PM
Some nice close ups of Snoke in 3.75 form have appeared at the following link, I was right, he does look bloody daft sat on the throne.

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/08/more-the-last-jedi-toy-leaks-continue-to-hit-the-web-sharing-more-interesting-details.html

Snoke gets the 'seven year itch'.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_07058.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_07058.JPG) http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_07066.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_07066.JPG)

Masterfett
08-21-2017, 04:53 PM
Epic FAIL? Did Hasbro just want to keep it to one sculpt for this and the basic line, thus not sculpt one with him sitting?
Seems like something people should be asking the big H.

DarthPete
08-21-2017, 05:44 PM
Between the pic and the bathrobe I think I'm good with waiting for a different Snoke.

Deak_Starkiller
08-21-2017, 06:02 PM
Did someone at Hasbro get the wrong memo....the molded robe Snoke goes in the cardback, the softgoods one goes in the playset.

Jabbaman
08-21-2017, 06:14 PM
Well someone re-uploaded the commercial for anyone who wants to see it..

https://youtu.be/z2TlLa5zimk

Jabbaman
08-21-2017, 06:14 PM
Gotta get used to that lol
https://youtu.be/z2TlLa5zimk

Masterfett
08-21-2017, 10:37 PM
Was that even long enough to get anyone interested? lol
I realize kids have a short attention span, but gee. That felt like it was in FF mode!

Nerdherfer
08-21-2017, 11:03 PM
Snoke looks boss in that vaping jacket

Rukh
08-21-2017, 11:13 PM
Between the pic and the bathrobe I think I'm good with waiting for a different Snoke.

Different Snokes for different folks :grin:

DarkManX
08-21-2017, 11:14 PM
Looks like they did a decent job of making the throne longer so he's not straight-legging it as bad as it could have.

DarthPete
08-22-2017, 05:46 AM
Different Snokes for different folks :grin:

*points* This guy wins. :)

ctonra
08-22-2017, 08:13 AM
Is it just me, but as I look at this Snoke Figure, I keep hearing the song from Austin Powers:Goldmember

DarkArtist
08-22-2017, 08:51 AM
Is it just me, but as I look at this Snoke Figure, I keep hearing the song from Austin Powers:Goldmember

lol.... I want GOLD!!!!

darthsatan
08-22-2017, 11:35 AM
Identity solved! Darth Hefner.

DarkManX
08-22-2017, 02:43 PM

the winner and champeen!

saddestmoon
08-22-2017, 06:17 PM

...and his Mansion playset... :P oooer!

DarkManX
08-22-2017, 08:13 PM
...and his Mansion playset... :P oooer!

and everybody was griping about the torture rack being like ESBB)

Masterfett
08-22-2017, 08:24 PM
So it's a tanning bed, must where he gets his gold hue.

Darth_Broem
08-22-2017, 09:11 PM
Maybe he will have a skin case like Gold Member? "That's a keeper!"

Tigersith
08-23-2017, 03:11 AM
Picked this up at a Walmart last night and it's really amazing! They did an over ride at the register, glad to have this one!

lordtyrannus
08-23-2017, 04:56 AM
Picked this up at a Walmart last night and it's really amazing! They did an over ride at the register, glad to have this one!

Any pics you'd like to share? :)

AhsokaVader
08-23-2017, 02:00 PM
Pics please!!! Especially Snoke! Also, if it's not too much to ask, Snoke with his guard and Kylo Ren to see how they size up. Thanks

Maverick10126
08-23-2017, 04:16 PM
Anyone else think snoke will be included in the eventual 4-pack next spring?

AhsokaVader
08-23-2017, 04:35 PM
What 4 pack are you talking about? I would hope he is released elsewhere, but I do not trust Hasbro. I'll be buying him loose.

Masterfett
08-23-2017, 06:12 PM
I'm glad someone likes this enough to BIN. But it's never gonna be something I can justify. I'll wait it out, and see what they can think of for EP9.

Maverick10126
08-23-2017, 06:33 PM
What 4 pack are you talking about? I would hope he is released elsewhere, but I do not trust Hasbro. I'll be buying him loose.

The 4-pack that the last two movies have taught us to expect....like the Maz pack and the Saw pack....

Hasn't been announced but you know it's coming.

Tigersith
08-24-2017, 04:10 AM
Any pics you'd like to share? :)

Haven't opened it yet.

VideoViper
08-24-2017, 07:10 AM
Don't worry there is no way this is the only way to get Snoke, If you wait, we may even get a better version.

darthsatan
08-24-2017, 08:00 AM
It couldn't be worse.

RichardC
08-24-2017, 09:10 AM
Is this 3.75?

CHEWIE
08-24-2017, 09:34 AM
Is this 3.75?

Yes this is the beloved 3.75" scale, with the unbeloved 5poa styling.

AhsokaVader
08-24-2017, 12:40 PM
Open this baby up, please! I am dying to see good pics of Snoke and to see how well he sizes up with Kylo Ren!

VideoViper
08-24-2017, 01:59 PM
It couldn't be worse.
You don't like **** Daddy Snoke?????? Wait till you see the Disco version!!!

darthsatan
08-24-2017, 03:02 PM
You don't like **** Daddy Snoke?????? Wait till you see the Disco version!!!

That's the one that'll be better! Articulation + soft goods = Saturday Night Fever pose-striking!

BoomTrooper
08-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Not a horrible playset, but it's pretty basic. Just not a big fan of a toy that transforms into a playset. Just make a good playset for crying out loud. I don't need any super detailed, super expensive diorama prop replica either.

A few pictures of the upcoming set:
http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_0703.PNG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_0703.PNG) http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_07049.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_07049.JPG)

Nerdherfer
08-27-2017, 12:46 PM
This entire thing is weird and I want no part of it. Though a near life size BB-8 is cool, I may wait for the Nerf Ball version.

Maverick10126
08-27-2017, 12:47 PM
The transforming aspect just makes all the play areas smaller than they should be. It would be a lot nicer if it were laid out like the old death star. Simple and to the point.

BoomTrooper
08-27-2017, 01:06 PM
The transforming aspect just makes all the play areas smaller than they should be. It would be a lot nicer if it were laid out like the old death star. Simple and to the point.

Yeah, I agree. I think the last playset Hasbro released, that was actually well thought out, simple,and too the point was the Geonosian Playset. I thought it was pretty cool, with the purchase of additional smaller pieces that could connect to it, to make a larger droid factory assembly line. I sold mine years ago, due to not caring for any PT toys, but it was a good playset

Coreworld
08-27-2017, 02:42 PM
Well I think I'm going to give up hope of ever getting a decent non transforming playset from Hasbro, maybe I'll have a shot at a custom build, when there is preformed kits like these you can pick up:
http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_07087.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_07087.JPG) http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_070911.JPG (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/IMG_070911.JPG)
Here is the link, lots of other awesome items there too.
http://www.holeinthegroundpro.com/dioramas.html

Maverick10126
08-27-2017, 04:12 PM
I have his death star walls, they are fun. Imo, he has the right idea. Make molds. 3d printing is great for prototypes....which I might do at some point...but after that you gotta make molds for it to be affordable.

I haven't had a chance to work on it in a while but I'm working on a modular cantina.

Gobi
08-27-2017, 04:42 PM

The Force Awakens transforming Micro Machine playsets were the same way. So much space went into making the things transform they didn't have any room for play features.

Deak_Starkiller
08-28-2017, 07:49 AM
Over at Hisstank, they did a flashback on the GI Joe Tactical Battle Platform which IMO is one of the best non-transforming playset to ever come out for the Joe line. The playsets in general is what got me hooked onto the line...I was a late bird coming in though at 1986 (I had a Transformers budget too. :D ). Even the smaller sets like Checkpoint Alpha, Cobra Bunker and so on made it worthwhile to have figures and playset interact nicely together. Granted, I realized Star Wars playsets are a different challenge altogether, but even the small things like the magic the Joe line had can go quite a ways.

Maverick10126
08-28-2017, 08:15 AM
The disappointing thing is its not that challenging. The potf2 playsets are still fantastic for what they are. The death star detention block rescue is still one of my favorites. Hoth and endor regularly go for $50 on eBay. The Lars homestead goes for like $100. We don't ask for much, just something simple and relatively accurate. Doesn't need to be huge.

For TFA give us Maz's castle ruins. Basically it's a pile of castle rubble with a few exploding walls, maybe a catapult platform to launch a stormtrooper. Pack in a stormtrooper with the staff thing.

This playset is a step in the right direction but they are doing to much. I'd rather they scale them back and make more of them. Get rid of the transforming stuff and just focus on the general look.

Deak_Starkiller
08-28-2017, 08:51 AM
It's not challenging from a manufacturing standpoint IMO. Hasbro is getting faced with significant turnarounds based on Disney's schedule. There were times when Hasbro got some flexibility since the ownership change with the issuing of the mini-rig vehicles and the like. This year were getting stuff like 40th Anniversary (which I can definitely understand), Centerpiece and Forces Of Destiny. My general concern is finding the niches to regain the kind of magic GI Joe and POTF2 had in the day, but I guess that's an illusion to me at this point. The dynamics have obviously changed with diversified products and big name products drops in the form of limited articulated electronic figures. Now I'm guessing at this point, this kind of stuff is going to be focused more on the 6" line (heck, maybe SDCC wasn't really a tease after all), but it obviously gives reason to rake in more for the collector market. And my take on TVC 2018 is that it will evolve into a non-supported vehicle/playset line.....i.e. that concept would be relegated to 5POA.

Atari
08-28-2017, 11:44 AM
Are there any unboxing videos of this playset yet? I also searched for people showing the Force Link, but apparently there are some things that haven't leaked yet.

HothHan
08-28-2017, 11:44 AM
Are there any unboxing videos of this playset yet? I also searched for people showing the Force Link, but apparently there are some things that haven't leaked yet.

I just picked up a Force Link at WM

Atari
08-29-2017, 07:58 AM
I just picked up a Force Link at WM

Have you opened it? Is it any good?

HothHan
08-29-2017, 08:06 AM
Have you opened it? Is it any good?

I went the scumbag route and ebayed it straight away. I can wait until Friday - apparently the individual who purchased the one I listed couldn't. Do I feel good about it? Na. But the extra funds will go toward FFII on Thursday/Friday.

Maverick10126
08-29-2017, 08:54 AM
I went the scumbag route and ebayed it straight away. I can wait until Friday - apparently the individual who purchased the one I listed couldn't. Do I feel good about it? Na. But the extra funds will go toward FFII on Thursday/Friday.

I've done that a few times. It's sometimes a fine line between scalper and being smart with the opportunity in front of you. My general rule of thumb is see if people on the boards are after a certain character, sell for cost to them first. After that, eh, if someone is willing to overpay for something that will be everywhere pretty soon I don't feel to bad. That's just how they are choosing to use their disposable funds.

HothHan
08-29-2017, 09:03 AM
I've done that a few times. It's sometimes a fine line between scalper and being smart with the opportunity in front of you. My general rule of thumb is see if people on the boards are after a certain character, sell for cost to them first. After that, eh, if someone is willing to overpay for something that will be everywhere pretty soon I don't feel to bad. That's just how they are choosing to use their disposable funds.

Exactly. If we were weeks deep into this line and a figure ended up HTF and I came across an extra it would to a fellow 'scummer at cost. I do that all the time (and frankly take pride in the fact that I am known to take a loss sometimes to help out others). But in this situation? Walmart can't get their stuff straight and some folks have a need it now tendency OR they know that there areas will be pillaged before they get a chance to visit retail.

Masterfett
08-29-2017, 08:40 PM
No one forces anyone o buy on ebay though, and that person payed what they felt comfortable with. Now, if you had listed for $100, I might consider you skirting scalper territory.

Batman
08-30-2017, 02:51 AM

Hmmm... It's not scalper at all if someone buy one earlier and sells it for profit to a impateint individual during a street date block. It's clever though.

Scalper is someone that empties the shelves, creates a demand from shortage, then controls the price through ebay.

Nerdherfer
08-30-2017, 07:21 AM
Depending who you talk to, but if you buy something in finite supply to sell on for immediate profit, you are likely a scalper. Lol There are just varying degrees of it. Buying something yourself and offloading it to people who would otherwise not be able to get it is almost a public service! I'd say most of my collection was obtained that way, once I factor in travelling across town to several stores only to find nothing and realising I won't get what I'm after unless I travel to another region or just buy online.

I'm in Australia but I have a friend in Los Angeles doing it tough. I send him money and he'll go out to Pico Rivera and pick me up some Walmart exclusives and a few for himself to sell for a profit. Sure it's scalping, but not like a stock room kid who makes sure things don't hit the shelves before he's sold them online.
It's the department store employees who keep things outback for themselves to scalp that make the blood boil.

HothHan
08-30-2017, 07:40 AM
No one forces anyone o buy on ebay though, and that person payed what they felt comfortable with. Now, if you had listed for $100, I might consider you skirting scalper territory.

Just for arguments sake - if I listed if to $100 (which I didn't but it was more than retail) and and someone BOUGHT IT from me for $100 how is that scalping? It could have just sat there are ebay unsold. I get what you are saying but I think it applies more to HTF new items that got cleared out of a store with the intent to scalp.

But scalping vs. collecting vs. collecting for profit vs. profit FOR collecting vs. helping others out is a mess of topic.

Just for total transparency (which I feel comfortable with being that I help other people out here all the time with new HTF stuff and I don't consider myself a scalper): I listed the Force Link on ebay for $65 with free priority shipping with a Best Offer option. It was gone in under 2 hours for the listed price. My thought process was that I would just keep it if it didn't sell by FFII. I am sure my kid will like it. Now I have to buy another one tomorrow anyway lol

Kylash327
08-30-2017, 08:20 AM
Feels kinda odd that BB-8 turns into a Firet Order base. Wonder if there wil be an eventual BB-9 repaint.

Maverick10126
08-30-2017, 08:48 AM
I sold several 6" Kylo ren's on craiglist for $30 last time around. I only purchased one one FF, the rest I got when I was doing my normal toy runs. $30 was a markup, but I never wiped out stock, and used the profit to pay for 3.75 figures for myself. Money was tight at the time. I knew he was going to be released like crazy eventually. And considering how many people on here I got the 3.75 black series figs at cost I don't feel bad about what I sold them for.

The more I look at this playset the more it disappoints me.

HothHan
08-30-2017, 10:26 AM
Feels kinda odd that BB-8 turns into a Firet Order base. Wonder if there wil be an eventual BB-9 repaint.

BB-9? Oh wait that was a spoiler I guess without spoiler tags.

Billy_Ray
08-30-2017, 11:24 AM
Spotted this on the shelf at Wal-Mart today. The box was a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

DarthRimbaud
08-30-2017, 11:49 AM
Spotted this on the shelf at Wal-Mart today. The box was a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

What was the price?

sith_rising
08-30-2017, 11:57 AM
Even if you had listed it at 100, only a "gotta get it before everyone else of Rebelscum!" fool would pay 100 for it, when it's gonna be 50 dollars, on every shelf in every Target, Walmart and Toys R Us, in a week (and probably 25 dollars a year from now, for the really patient). List it at whatever you want, it's not like you're gouging people on SDCC Exclusives.