PDA

View Full Version : AT-M6 - Heavy Assault Walker

GNT
06-08-2017, 05:45 PM
***SPOILER WARNING applies***

Some rough sketch type pictures probably from an upcoming book have leaked out of EP8's answer to the AT-AT called an AT-M6 which is a much bulkier version and reminds me of a Sabretooth tiger with a cannon on the back.

Who want's to see this in vehicle form or are we doomed to have some over priced walking version? :p

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/4908/atm6.png
http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/4908/atm6_1.png

ThrawnLover
06-08-2017, 05:59 PM
Hideous. I hope they save the plastic for something better

ThrawnLover
06-08-2017, 06:38 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Wvds6Jt.jpg
I realized what I hated about it so much, they're making the firing nerf missile feature built right into the design now.

RogueKnite
06-08-2017, 06:42 PM
Lmao
Well played, ThrawnLover!

Masterfett
06-08-2017, 08:52 PM
Seriously? :rolleyes: I get Nerf features are the new thing, but could you make it removable at least!? This actually makes the ACT-AT look less like the garbage that it is.
Who's designing this stuff, and are they purposely trying to make it look like an ape? Looks like bad old EU concepts, that got rejected. lol

saddestmoon
06-09-2017, 01:32 AM
I actually kinda like this (the design) and am intrigued to see how different it might be from its predessor (the imperial AT-AT).

I've read speculation that the reversed knee joint in the front legs, could be an upgrade to protect this 'walker' against harpoon cables, and may also allow it to climb up more vertical terrain, which could be a surprising twist

DarkArtist
06-09-2017, 06:29 AM
I want to see it in the movie before I decide. I like the look but I fear for the possible "Nerf" feature on the top if Hasbro continues to go that route. I do like the AT-ACT from RO (have 2 myself) but the scale is way too small. if they made the AT-ACT in BAT-AT form it would have been received better. hopefully Hasbro makes the AT-M6 in a large scale similar to the BAT-AT

War_in_The_floor
06-09-2017, 08:58 AM
Hasbro has to put their foot down with retailers obsession over shelf space in just this ONE instance so we can get a nice scale on this thing. I will be down for one for sure unless it is just terrible like the TFA Falcon was/ is. If its decent and available I might get two.

DarkArtist
06-09-2017, 09:18 AM
Hasbro has to put their foot down with retailers obsession over shelf space in just this ONE instance so we can get a nice scale on this thing. I will be down for one for sure unless it is just terrible like the TFA Falcon was/ is. If its decent and available I might get two.

is it an issue about retail space or tooling costs and pricetag at retail. I mean we had 2 releases of the BMF and BAT-AT and both saw an increase in pricetag but were both the same toy just repacked in Vintage style boxes. with the recent AT-ACT is the pricetag based on the electronics and app abilities or is it based on tooling costs? I'm not sure shelf space is an issue though

Masterfett
06-09-2017, 11:07 AM
I actually kinda like this (the design) and am intrigued to see how different it might be from its predessor (the imperial AT-AT).

I've read speculation that the reversed knee joint in the front legs, could be an upgrade to protect this 'walker' against harpoon cables, and may also allow it to climb up more vertical terrain, which could be a surprising twist
So we might see them climbing a cliff wall like the AT-TE did in TCW?

DarthPete
06-09-2017, 11:21 AM
I'll hold out on a definitive opinion for when I see it in the movie, but my first inclination is I don't really like it. It looks a little TOO much like an animal.

War_in_The_floor
06-09-2017, 02:04 PM
is it an issue about retail space or tooling costs and pricetag at retail. I mean we had 2 releases of the BMF and BAT-AT and both saw an increase in pricetag but were both the same toy just repacked in Vintage style boxes. with the recent AT-ACT is the pricetag based on the electronics and app abilities or is it based on tooling costs? I'm not sure shelf space is an issue though

Hasbro said back when they did Q&As that retail space was one reason retailers resisted big vehicles and why we wouldn't likely get a Jabbas Sail Barge. It is also why big items like the AT ACT , DTF Droid Carrier end up clearance quickly, it is apparently a big opportunity cost in shelf real estate that could be taken up by lots of smaller high profit items.

Also as far as your point about the AT ACT, tooling is an issue but that thing also had considerable R&D costs on the electronics and if you ever tear one apart and see how intricate the mechanisms and features are on it they really did spend a lot on engineering.

Masterfett
06-09-2017, 05:04 PM
Also, lets not forget that Hasbro made Money on this. Or they wouldn't have done it. It's the retailer who lost, as there were likely not enough sales at regular price to justify acquiring it. Thus the reason for not carrying big vehicles.

Deak_Starkiller
06-10-2017, 12:42 AM
Resemblance aside, I can see the improvements in terms of countermeasures from attacks that could have been learned from the Empire, such as the armament coverage above the sensitive neck area. As far as cable entanglements, I could almost imagine some kind of cable cutters coming out of hatches from the thicker leg areas to take care of just such as situation. But we shall see.

saddestmoon
06-10-2017, 08:07 PM
So we might see them climbing a cliff wall like the AT-TE did in TCW?

That's what was speculated. The vertical / abrupt cliffs seen in the trailer, from which the skimmers are flying away from, pose no obstacle to these walkers, when / if they reach them.

Calitrooper
06-11-2017, 09:03 AM
[QUOTE=War_in_The_floor;19963687]Hasbro said back when they did Q&As that retail space was one reason retailers resisted big vehicles and why we wouldn't likely get a Jabbas Sail Barge.
Apparently the TRU's near me haven't gotten this memo as they still have TBS 6" Tie Fghter on sale @ $149.99.

Verbal21
06-12-2017, 12:45 PM
I'm a sucker for Assault Walker's of all kinds, so I like this. Should be a fun toy.

Nighthawk
06-12-2017, 02:38 PM

I remember that when Hasbro redid the G.I.Joe Skystriker and Tomahawk, the only way it would work was to ensure to make the boxes smaller, which is why, unlike the vintage counterparts, the new ones separated in two; in the Skystriker's case, front came off and on the Tomahawk, the rear portion separates.

Sith_Dreamer
06-13-2017, 07:58 AM
Am I the only one that sees a sloth in the concept art? It has a teeth or long hair shape to the head, the front legs look to have talons for climbing, and the canon gives it a more arched-back look. I don't know if I'm feeling this thing or not.

War_in_The_floor
06-14-2017, 10:43 AM
lol can you imagine thinking you have the high ground and this thing just hauling grass up a sheer cliff at about 60 MPH LOL

Masterfett
06-14-2017, 11:16 AM
But, IMHO. It still makes no sense in a world of Star Wars with repulsor lifts, or whatever they're called. Why not just invent an attack vehicle that can hover etc. You know, like the Gunship? To me that was one of the best vehicles to come out of star wars, as it has a wide range of utilization.

jedimasterc
06-14-2017, 05:51 PM
If I recall did we see the AT-M6 at a distance during Hux's speech on Starkiller base in TFA? I remember seeing some AT-AT like vehicles during that seen mostly in the background.

saddestmoon
06-14-2017, 10:08 PM
^^^ apparently those FO AT-ATs seen at the base ceremony were different, to the FO AT-M6.

Visually, comparing that scene from TFAs and the leaked art from TLJ, they have different looking heads / cockpits, so to speak.

War_in_The_floor
06-15-2017, 01:06 PM
This is also a world of Star Wars with ubiquitous Ion weapon technology which leaves you zero fault redundancy for falling on your butt HARD from whatever height you are at if your primary propulsion is repulsorlift.
Take for instance the two times in on screen canon we see entire Star destroyers go down this way. I imgane if a capital ship the size of a small county can be taken out that easily with them that some sort of crew serviced weapon would make lead weights out of Kickin' walkers

Masterfett
06-15-2017, 01:52 PM
True, but in the world of Star Wars. Any Imperial craft is taken out rather easily, so...
I just don't see a several ton machine walking straight up a cliff. Especially without help from repulsor lifts. And even without that tech, an Ion blast would still render it very useless. Since it takes out all electronics, not just flight. ;)

Besides, all that technology is insignificant next to the power of the force.

War_in_The_floor
06-16-2017, 08:52 AM
that scenario you describe ... Ion cannon VS wall scaling HAW-HAW would be hilarious... They sort of seize up like a nervous goat, and just tumble backwards into each other at the gravity speed of whatever planet they are on. Entertainment GOLD!

Michael_Ritter
06-17-2017, 12:27 PM
Am I the only one that sees a sloth in the concept art? It has a teeth or long hair shape to the head, the front legs look to have talons for climbing, and the canon gives it a more arched-back look. I don't know if I'm feeling this thing or not.

I see more of a chimpanzee/great ape look to this vehicle. Will be interesting to see in action.

Mike

Calitrooper
07-07-2017, 06:44 PM
Not impressed with the (lack of) imagination with Disney. These look similar to Iron Kong from the Zoids toy line.

Vorax
07-08-2017, 05:59 PM
Looks like a hunchback knuckle dragger probably to capitalize on King Kong and Planet of the Apes. Why this and not the oddly non-used in battle Base Defense Walker on Starkiller base that are also apparently stored in the FO Stardestroyers, that looked also like some kinda long legged alien turtle or godzilla creature. Not sure these designs are superior to the Imperial versions let alone the Clone Army versions. Is this thing able to move around like an ape and at incredible speed, what exactly is so great about it remains to be seen if it ever is. They could end up like the walkers in Rogue One or TFA, fodder , props, and set pieces.

Deak_Starkiller
07-08-2017, 10:14 PM
The footsteps of the AT-AT were modeled after an elephant, possibly as a homage to the war elephants used in ancient wars when GL was designing them back then. Not sure what this homage is being paid to, so I'll just let Pablo Hidalgo explain this one.

bigbarada
07-09-2017, 09:09 AM
when GL was designing them back then.

Except George Lucas didn't design the AT-ATs. Like everything else in the original films, they were designed by men like Ralph McQuarrie, Joe Johnston, and Phil Tippet. Lucas has simply made a career out of taking credit for other people's work. That's not to say that George Lucas deserves no credit at all for Star Wars, however he was just one voice of many creating the vision for the original trilogy.

sith_rising
07-09-2017, 11:45 AM
Before the Prequels, I always assumed that large ground shields like at Hoth prevented speeders and aircraft from approaching. After TPM, we saw that the AAT tanks couldn't pass through the Gungan shields, so I guess that's kind of a canon answer. If your enemy is "dug in" with a large shield generator, you can't assault from orbit, or bomb it, or pass through with speeders or gunships. You have to physically walk through, and then go from there. So, an AT-AT might not make sense in 21st century Earth warfare, but if we're talking medieval-style castle sieges, then a big, slow, heavily-armored, infantry-filled walker might make sense.

Deak_Starkiller
07-09-2017, 11:07 PM
Sorry, I probably should have meant outlined back then. Also we shouldn't forget another notable contributor in the SW art department back then, Nilo Rodis-Jamero, who had a career in designing automobiles and worked on designs in Star Trek V. And just to be fair, those pioneers in the heydays of SW vehicle/creature design were my inspirations in my early and later graduate college years working on aircraft design.

Calitrooper
07-16-2017, 11:26 AM
If the Lego creation is any indication this will be underwhelming.

sith_rising
07-17-2017, 07:18 AM
I'm more interested to see that new Scout Walker crab-thingy

OxnardMontalvo
07-17-2017, 11:59 AM
The scouts remind me of those walking sand sculptures....

Captain_Piet
09-01-2017, 10:28 AM
We need this.

Julythrunov
09-01-2017, 01:58 PM
It will be interesting to see if Hasbro does another walker toy for the 3.75 " after the AT-ACT.

indysolo007
09-01-2017, 02:06 PM
If I were Hasbro I would make a big, hollow walker. The size of the selling point, add a few missile launchers, cockpit, opening troop area inside and that big cannon. Nonwalking feature ornlights and sound. $150 with a few figures. Throw in a chip fornthe sounds. Big will sell!

Fan_of_the_1300
09-04-2017, 07:36 AM
If we get an AT-M6, I would love one that is scaled to the BIG AT-AT. I'm just hoping this thing is as impressive in the movie, as it is on a poster.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/medium/DSC043861.JPG

Deak_Starkiller
09-04-2017, 07:57 AM
Remains to be seen if we'll see these being unloaded from landing barges similar to the ones shown in DK Publishings book for AT-AT's.

Nerdherfer
09-04-2017, 11:25 AM
But, IMHO. It still makes no sense in a world of Star Wars with repulsor lifts, or whatever they're called. Why not just invent an attack vehicle that can hover etc. You know, like the Gunship? To me that was one of the best vehicles to come out of star wars, as it has a wide range of utilization.
I agree the LAAT was a versatile attack transport, but it seemed a little fragile. With the helicopter similarities not withstanding, it was a cross between a Normandy Infantry Glider and an A-10 Warthog. Armed to the teeth with those composite laser turrets and missile launchers, but essentially made to crash and burn like a paper aeroplane.

I see the larger walkers as potential mobile command posts with the advantage of a "higher ground" vantage point for seige breaking situations and occupation. There's always the "orbital bombardment option, but that doesn't gel with the plot armor the heroes are wearing. They must be "taken alive!" So "prepare for ground assault"..

It's hard to find an explanation for AT-TEs walking up walls. How does it work? Why does it work? How long can that positioned be sustained and does the interior still produce it's own gravity so occupants can walk around upright (horizontally), while the tank is perched on a cliff face? It's fun to think about.

Nerdherfer
09-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Now that you mention it, it kind of does have that potentially "built for climbing" look to it. I think it looks totally awesome myself. Of all the designs I see from this movie, this one stands out to me. Like Krennic's shuttle, which I think is actually the raddest looking shuttle ever, this is the raddest walker design. It's gigantic and imposing and completely B.A!

JediDelight
09-04-2017, 12:31 PM
If we get an AT-M6, I would love one that is scaled to the BIG AT-AT. I'm just hoping this thing is as impressive in the movie, as it is on a poster.

Just buy a Great Dane.

Deak_Starkiller
09-04-2017, 12:55 PM
It's hard to find an explanation for AT-TEs walking up walls. How does it work? Why does it work? How long can that positioned be sustained and does the interior still produce it's own gravity so occupants can walk around upright (horizontally), while the tank is perched on a cliff face? It's fun to think about.

I don't recall if walkers in general have some type of grav field that is similar to subspace fields in Star Trek to reduce the apparent mass (I guess weight in this situation) of the vehicle in question. I mean, the static weight of the AT-M6 must be gi-normous particularly along the front legs. Kind of same reason why Godzilla was designed with thick legs to avoid getting crushed under his own weight. But in this case, the fields allow the legs to be constructed reasonably w/o adding a lot of cost of material and/or mobility. Maybe such fields allow for the AT-TE to scale vertically but obviously it would need secondary, maybe even tertiary redundancy in those generations particularly during battle for reliability.

TK_842
09-04-2017, 01:03 PM
If the Resistance attack those with tow cables, i swear i'm gonna rip my seat off and throw it at the screen :twisted:

Deak_Starkiller
09-04-2017, 01:39 PM
Whose willing to bet one of the ski speeders will fly sideways across the legs of those things.

Nerdherfer
09-04-2017, 01:54 PM
I don't recall if walkers in general have some type of grav field that is similar to subspace fields in Star Trek to reduce the apparent mass (I guess weight in this situation) of the vehicle in question. I mean, the static weight of the AT-M6 must be gi-normous particularly along the front legs. Kind of same reason why Godzilla was designed with thick legs to avoid getting crushed under his own weight. But in this case, the fields allow the legs to be constructed reasonably w/o adding a lot of cost of material and/or mobility. Maybe such fields allow for the AT-TE to scale vertically but obviously it would need secondary, maybe even tertiary redundancy in those generations particularly during battle for reliability.
Apparently, (taken from Wookieepedia) the UT-AT, (as seen on Mygeeto in Revenge of the Sith) featured 16 low-power repulsorlift (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Repulsorlift/Legends) skis that would shift to properly balance the vehicle depending on the terrain. Four additional repulsorlift plates were located under the main carriage for propulsion.

◆ The skis also had the ability to reverse their repulsion, causing gription (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gription) fields and allowing the vehicle to ascend sheer surfaces if needed. ◆

The skis supplied superior stability when firing, and were particularly effective on unstable terrain.

So, "some" AT-TEs had this extra climbing option and the AT-UT had the tech built into it's "skis".

Nerdherfer
09-04-2017, 03:39 PM
UT-AT not AT-UT

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/3/36/UTAT.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080121061130

Nerdherfer
09-04-2017, 03:45 PM
https://image.ibb.co/bNOGmv/Screenshot_2017_09_05_07_35_24_1.png

Masterfett
09-04-2017, 08:53 PM
Really, twice as BIG as an AT-AT? Where the heck does the first order get their Money for these things? Why is it always bigger is better, and then winds up biting them in the...

DarkArtist
09-05-2017, 08:11 AM

I doubt we will see a large scale version as the RO AT-ACT was also supposed to be larger than an AT-AT and look how small that was. if anything I would think that Hasbro would make one similar to the old Kenner mold of the original AT-AT.

DarksideDave
10-22-2017, 08:22 AM
I'm still hoping for a FO base walker.

Maverick10126
10-22-2017, 07:42 PM
Really, twice as BIG as an AT-AT? Where the heck does the first order get their Money for these things? Why is it always bigger is better, and then winds up biting them in the...

That's what I'm saying. The empire was literally the entire known galaxy. Will all the money and resources of such a society...and the defeated empire somehow has more resources??

RogueKnite
10-23-2017, 06:31 AM
That's what I'm saying. The empire was literally the entire known galaxy. Will all the money and resources of such a society...and the defeated empire somehow has more resources??

During the lead up to TFA, JJ made the connection that the First Order were the equivalent of the Nazis that escaped to Argentina after WWII. That's a clever premise, but unrealistic once you extrapolate it, especially how the First Order was/is realized. The Thrawn Trilogy executed the idea of the Imperial remnant surging back more realistic than this trilogy is doing so (as of now).

Maverick10126
10-23-2017, 08:04 AM
Yeah, unless the thread of imperial planets outside of the main area thus untouched by the OT war is mentioned it's hard to buy it.

That's what I liked about the thrawn trilogy. He was off in the unknown regions, came back with some ships, united the remnants and utilized hidden imperial resources and superior tactics. It's how you fight back as the underdog.

In TFA the resistance looks less equipped than the rebellion ever did.

Rushie
10-23-2017, 01:17 PM
I remember reading somewhere the FO is secretly backed by countless wealthy individuals who still support the Empire.
Meanwhile, the Resistance acts separate from the New Republic and is similarily funded, with the House of Alderaan as a major contributor.
How one royal family can support a military junta spread across the stars I have no clue.

Ironic, how everyone slammed the Prequels for too much worldbuilding and politics, yet the supervague relationship between the New Republic, Resistance and First Order goes entirely unexplained in the film itself.

Maverick10126
10-23-2017, 01:45 PM
World building and politics is fine...if I care about any of the characters. I don't care about any of the characters in the prequels. They are flat. They do things because that's what's supposed to happen.

There are plenty of successful movies and shows about politics...but I wasn't invested in prequel politics.

DarkManX
10-24-2017, 07:15 PM
Yeah, unless the thread of imperial planets outside of the main area thus untouched by the OT war is mentioned it's hard to buy it.

That's what I liked about the thrawn trilogy. He was off in the unknown regions, came back with some ships, united the remnants and utilized hidden imperial resources and superior tactics. It's how you fight back as the underdog.

In TFA the resistance looks less equipped than the rebellion ever did.

In some of the new EU several of the people in the imperial remnants felt the Empire got soft.

Nicklab
10-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Remains to be seen if we'll see these being unloaded from landing barges similar to the ones shown in DK Publishings book for AT-AT's.

That all depends on whether or not it's relevant to the story. A visual purely for the sake of a visual that doesn't move the story forward is tough to justify.

As for an AT-M6 toy? I can see the potential for it. But prepare to have the scale conversation. And the inevitable comparisons to the BAT-AT.

Nerdherfer
10-25-2017, 11:20 AM
There seems to be one big ticket item per movie and that slot would be filled by the BB-8 playset. Personally I would be surprised to see one at all until after episode 9. You may notice how the Revell Snaptight item is getting a lot of advertising space on this website. That is literally the writing on the wall for me.

Masterfett
10-26-2017, 01:17 AM
In some of the new EU several of the people in the imperial remnants felt the Empire got soft.
Exactly when between ROTS and ROTJ did people start to think this? I mean would they actually say that to Palpatine's or Vaders face?

Monday morning Quarterbacking must be really nice...

RogueKnite
10-26-2017, 04:56 AM
Exactly when between ROTS and ROTJ did people start to think this? I mean would they actually say that to Palpatine's or Vaders face?

I think they meant post-ROTJ EU was when they got soft, but it's worth mentioning in the new canon, there are a couple of points made that the best Imperials (troopers, officers, etc.) were killed on the Death Star. Thus leaving the Empire w/ a lot of inexperienced Imperials to inherit rather lofty positions after ANH.

DarkArtist
10-26-2017, 11:22 AM
post ROTJ / Legends EU has the Imperial Remnant on the verge of collapse after the deaths of the Emperor and Vader.. after Grand Admiral Thrawn is defeated and killed in the events of the Heir to the Empire storyline Admiral Pelleon assumes command of the factured Imperial Remnant and barters a deal with the New Republic. some of the more devote Imperial Officers (Moffs etc) believe that the Empire was getting too soft and decided to splinter into factions to take control (basic storyline for the Dark Horse Dark Empire series with the Imperial war).. in later books (The New Jedi Order) the Empire begins to rebuild with the help of some of the Ruling Council (Dark Horse Comics Crimson Empire) than under Legacy of the Force (Darth Caedus) strengthens the Empire more with the help of the Remnant and forms the Galactic Republic which could also be the stepping stones in a way to the creation of The First Order

DarkManX
10-26-2017, 10:32 PM

I should clarify, the Imperial/FO leaders between ROTJ and TFA were devout followers of the Emperor. It was more they felt that others were being soft on the rebellion.

Masterfett
10-27-2017, 11:27 AM
Well that i understand, the Empire basically lost everything at Endor. And not truly knowing the background of the new EU, i can't really speculate on matters.

I do remember everything that Darkartist posted, but figured that was all gone now.

One might argue that the Emperor was the softest on the Rebellion, because he felt that they were not a threat. He was more concerned with the Son of Skywalker.
Ironic that his demise came from the one closest to him.

DarkArtist
10-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Well that i understand, the Empire basically lost everything at Endor. And not truly knowing the background of the new EU, i can't really speculate on matters.

I do remember everything that Darkartist posted, but figured that was all gone now.

One might argue that the Emperor was the softest on the Rebellion, because he felt that they were not a threat. He was more concerned with the Son of Skywalker.
Ironic that his demise came from the one closest to him.

the Emperor also felt like he was untouchable in a way... almost invincible.. remember he states to Vader on the Death Star "everything is proceeding as I have foreseen" (about the rebels massing in Sullest and turning Luke to the dark side), "I have foreseen it...his compassion for you will be his undoing.. he will come to you and you will bring him before me" (about Luke seeking out Vader and falling to the dark side which can sorta be argued that it came true with Luke's furious attack on Vader after Vader's threat about Leia)

however The Emperor didn't plan on Anakin turning away from the dark and redeeming himself. also at this point in the old EU we learned the Palpatine was really a clone of himself at the time of Endor so his vast power was never really extinguished from the galaxy until Luke destroys all the cloning chambers on Byss and the dying Brand captures Palpatine's spirit in his body.

if anything the Empire was harsh on the Rebellion at the time of the Civil War (especially Tarkin giving that he blew up Alderaan as a test of the Death Star's full power, ordered Leia's execution, prepared to destroy Yavin IV during the battle, and also the events of Scariff proved the ruthlessness of Tarkin when he turned the Death Star's laser on not only the rebel infiltration team by on his own troops as well)

even Grand Admiral Thrawn showed he was ruthless as well throughout the course of Rebels so far and in the Heir to the Empire series.

Vader proved he was just as ruthless at Scariff with the killing of the Rebels, I'm sure he played a part in Admiral Raddus's death and had the Tantive IV been captured I'm sure he would have dispatched Leia without hesitation. I mean after her capture he tortures her aboard the Death Star to try and locate the Rebel base (Star Wars: The Radio Drama covers the torture), killing his former Master and friend aboard the Death Star, torturing and subjecting Han to Carbonite freezing, cutting off his son's hand etc...not to mention force choking various Imperial Officers..

after these top Imperials met their untimely deaths the Empire crumbled and fell apart.. no leadership and squabbling warlords trying for the power of the Empire.

plus I'm sure with TLJ we will learn more about Snoke's role in all of this too. I'm thinking Snoke is the mastermind behind everything... since JJ Abrams supposedly stated the EPIX will tie into the prequels somehow I would be surprised if Snoke is the behind everything and turns out to the be the creator of both Anakin Skywalker and Rey. for some reason I like the concept that Rey is yet another being created entirely by the Force...almost a balance again similar to Anakin.