PDA

View Full Version : Forcelink Starter Set w/Kylo Ren

DarkArtist
05-30-2017, 12:18 PM
just read the article on the front page.... Oh please Hasbro DO NOT BRING BACK COMMTECH! Just give us articulation and great accessories...

Billy_Ray
05-30-2017, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I saw that. Hasbro and their darned gimmicks :rolleyes: At least the Commtech chips doubles as stands. Why can't they just throw in a stand and call it a day?

War_in_The_floor
05-30-2017, 01:53 PM
If the chip would have been IN TEH FIGURE not the stand and the reader would have been in Play sets, vehicles it would have and could have worked but by requiring people t/ kids to keep each stand associated with each figure AND purchase an other wise useless reader the concept was doomed before it got a chance so to recap... put the chips INSIDE THE FIGURES and put the readers INSIDE PLAYSETS AND VEHICLES and we should be good to go!

GNT
05-30-2017, 04:00 PM
This is the article on the front page:

Will Hasbro Give The Last Jedi Figures The Ability To Speak?

"If what we're hearing turns out to be true, Hasbro's basic action figure assortment for The Last Jedi line will include an accessory, or components of an accessory, called the Force Link Bracelet. We're told it essentially gives your figures the ability to talk to each other. Sounds kind of like an evolution of their CommTech technology that they launched with their Episode I collection in 1999. More on this as it develops."

darth_sidious
05-30-2017, 06:16 PM
I don't care what they put in the pack-in accessory, so long as the figures themselves don't have a screw / hatch in the back for a battery! I had an R2 that I had to toss because the battery may have ruptured.

CHEWIE
05-30-2017, 08:53 PM
Hasbro is soooo out of touch. And putting chips inside the figures? ...not a fan of that idea.

vadersvette
05-30-2017, 09:04 PM
My guess would be NFC chips like Skylanders and Amiibos have. Hopefully not built into the figure itself. And the reader will probably be a smartphone app like the FX app they have now.

Still, I think the money and resources would be better used for articulation and accessories.

Masterfett
05-30-2017, 09:57 PM
But Hasbro, and KIDS, don't like articulation. So that money gets used for these gimmicks.

ThrawnLover
05-30-2017, 11:27 PM
I'd take this over a useless weapon that is not in the movie and serves no purpose. Hopefully the chip is hidden in the figure.

DarkArtist
05-31-2017, 06:49 AM
if they wanted to have the figures interact with environments and such they could have looked to playmates with the Simpsons figures and the world of Springfield playsets. just think they could have make cool looking diorama background display sets (since the Simpsons ones really weren't playsets as they did nothing but help the figures talk), and programs the figures with a reader chip instead (or a barcode or something similar) that when the figure was placed on a certain spot in the diorama it speaks lines from the movies etc. the more figure in the setup the more/different dialogue.

personally I'd prefer just articulation, great actual screen used accessories (no BAW), and simple diorama sets and great vehicles.

HothHan
05-31-2017, 07:44 AM
I'm gonna be in the minority but...why not? I would take this gimmick (if done right) over the build-a-nonsense or made up oversized canons. I don't plan on buying many of the 5POA TLJ offerings but it could be kind of cool.

Nicklab
05-31-2017, 06:30 PM
There will ALWAYS be some sort of value added pack-in. It's been going on for a long time, and I don't see the trend ending with the TLJ line. I know a lot of us want the Build-A-Droid concept brought back, but I think that Disney has a lock on it now.

As for what may the next generation of commtech chips/talking figures? In the words of the Zen master, "We'll see".

Masterfett
05-31-2017, 07:28 PM
TBH, it sounds like a gimmick aimed at justifying the higher prices to the consumer. Said consumer asks why the price increase? Hasbro responds with, "due the the added chip technology we had to increase the price. Yet when said feature is phased out immediately after TLJ, the prices will not o back down.
Plus we're likely going to see the same trend with those figurs as we're seeing with the current TFA figures two years later. Clearance. So who even plans to buy these at regular price?

phasmasboytoy
06-01-2017, 04:57 AM
I'd take this over a useless weapon that is not in the movie and serves no purpose. Hopefully the chip is hidden in the figure.

This whole heartedly. Id much rather have a gimmick that is actually pertinent to the character then some random accessory that doesn't have anything to do with the character and I'm never going to use anyway. I have a drawer full of those weapons and I can't seem to bring myself to throw them out because I paid for them. Stupid logic I know.

Trooper31
06-01-2017, 05:57 AM
I can understand Hasbro trying to reach the smart-phone generation and all, but why not start a counter revolution with gimmicky ads where kids actually do the voices themselves??? If toy sales are going down because of technology, then maybe doing the opposite wouldn't be wrong, if presented in the right way.

GNT
08-31-2017, 08:39 PM
http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/4908/medium/kylo9.jpg
Here's the Kylo Ren with the Force link accessory.

Deak_Starkiller
08-31-2017, 09:17 PM
Just hoping it's not as overproduced as the Commtech reader, and/or depending if kids get hooked to it. I have a feeling these will end up at discount chains.

CptEks
09-01-2017, 03:25 AM
This video reviews the set and showcases the sound effects from most of the new figures:

https://youtu.be/pu0laHAc2YE

Pretty cool, the sound quality is much improved from the CommTech chips

bioforce
09-01-2017, 09:20 AM
So might just be me, but I find the force link thing incredibly annoying. It's incredibly awkward to wear and you have to claw grip the figure. Luckily you can just not wear it and press the figure to the back of it (even works through the package) but you still have to thrust it forward to get the sound effect. The sound quality is much better then commtech but I would have still preferred just a small base style reader. This one is just awkward to use, even if it is cool to have the figures talk again.

Kylash327
09-01-2017, 10:07 AM
Here's how small the actual chip is. Yes, even the accessory pieces have them.

https://scontent-ort2-2.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/21226941_1866210513697694_2718196248002691072_n.jp g

Captain_Piet
09-01-2017, 10:29 AM
So has somebody been keeping a list of the lines and or sound effects from the Force Link chips?

bioforce
09-01-2017, 11:06 AM
So has somebody been keeping a list of the lines and or sound effects from the Force Link chips?

I listened to all the wave 1 ones this morn8ng but didn't even think to list what they said, that's a great idea. They all have 3 lines (or sounds, if they don't talk like the probe droid) and one sound effect.

I'm sure somebody will have a list up soon.

bgiles73
09-01-2017, 12:49 PM
Has anyone else given thought to replacing the motion sensors on one of these forcelink readers to an actual switch? I'm giving it some serious thought, but I would prefer Hasbro make an adult-friendly version of this for those of us that aren't quite as kineticaly energized as the target 4 and up user demographic! I do however commend Hasbro in encouraging healthier choices by promoting repetitive excercise.

Julythrunov
09-01-2017, 07:55 PM
I went to go scan the a-wing with the force link....instead of a-wing sounds it said in Anakins/Hayden's voice "this is where the fun begins".

I haven't been able to get it to happen a second time. Not sure what happened there..but obviously an anakin force link figure is planned

DarthPete
09-02-2017, 07:47 AM
Someone else mentioned that their Rathtar makes Probe Droid sounds.

Julythrunov
09-02-2017, 07:53 AM
Someone else mentioned that their Rathtar makes Probe Droid sounds.

Yea I saw that, that has to look funny, but I'm sure it's annoying too if you want to use the force link feature.

The weird thing with my situation is I was only able to hear "this is where the fun begins" once. I keep scanning it but it plays the normal a wing sounds.

:confused:

Maverick10126
09-02-2017, 08:50 AM
Seems kind of backwards to install all the sounds into the force link. There's no room for future expansion. But I guess it's not that much of a problem, Hasbro only let's a gimmick run for a year tops.

Kylash327
09-02-2017, 09:53 AM
There's gotta be a way to hack this thing with something that runs through various NFC signals. The thing with a device like this is they have to have every Figure planned out and have the sounds in there. So there may be stuff in there that never ends up being used if things get cancelled or moved around, happens a lot with Japanese sound gimmick toys that work similar.

macbeath
09-02-2017, 10:20 AM
Or, like some Japanese toys, they get a chance to re-release it with new sounds as per the Legend Mobirates in Gokaiger where a second release of an exisiting toy had some new sounds added (and some exisiting ones removed).

R1G4R3PO
09-02-2017, 09:55 PM
anyone seen or know which general mills cereals have the $10.00 off coupon for this? also would coupon be valid for the excl. tru version w/ 2 figs?

elanmars
09-03-2017, 11:19 AM
anyone seen or know which general mills cereals have the $10.00 off coupon for this? also would coupon be valid for the excl. tru version w/ 2 figs?

You, or anyone else have more info on this? I found the $24.99-29.99 price a little...pricey at the moment for me, but knocking $10 off would be nice.

MightyMegs
09-03-2017, 11:38 AM
It's $5 off at Target starting today

Simdog
09-04-2017, 09:45 PM
Has anyone found the general mills $10 off coupon yet? What type of cereal boxes are they rumored to be on?

Rocket_Back
09-04-2017, 09:56 PM
I found mine on a box of Reese's Puffs. Wal*Mart had a display of them close to the cereal aisle. I had to tear open the box to rip off the coupon at the register (since I was buying the Kylo pack at the same time).

Kylash327
09-04-2017, 11:02 PM
I still there any indication on the box about it?

DarkManX
09-05-2017, 12:44 AM
I found mine on a box of Reese's Puffs. Wal*Mart had a display of them close to the cereal aisle. I had to tear open the box to rip off the coupon at the register (since I was buying the Kylo pack at the same time).

has a dead collector's society feel to it B)

The_General
09-05-2017, 02:47 AM
You, or anyone else have more info on this? I found the $24.99-29.99 price a little...pricey at the moment for me, but knocking $10 off would be nice.

In the U.K. it's 24.99 - 29.99 POUNDS!!

DarkArtist
09-05-2017, 08:13 AM
I have an extra Force Link (the one that came with the BB-8 playset) that I'm willing to part with if anyone is interested.

Dead_Bothan
09-05-2017, 09:39 AM
I'm your huckleberry. PM me later.

Simdog
09-05-2017, 11:06 AM
Can one one take and post a pic of the box with the force link coupon on it? I am having the hardest time finding it in TX. Also hearing conflicting stories about Cocoa Puffs or Reese puffs

The_Professor
09-05-2017, 12:17 PM
I thought I already posted this, but the message seems to have disappeared. I saw a Star Wars display at a local Walmart with Cocoa Puffs, Reese's Puffs, and Cookie Crisps. The promotion is mentioned on the front, and the back of the box has the coupon (with UPC on the inside) and Star Wars trivia questions.

Cramer
09-06-2017, 09:29 AM
A stupid gimmick that has really made collecting the 3" line more enjoyable than the last 3 movies. I'm a displayer and proud poser with a shelf for each movie. The added value of being able to hold this thing up to the figures on the shelf and they start saying movie lines is awesome. I'm really started to look at the other shelves with the VC super articulated best versions of characters with disapointment that they are just empty plastic with no chip. I really hope they continue this with all future lines and I'm jonesing for more OT and PT era Force linked characters.

Kylash327
09-06-2017, 09:39 AM
With most 3/75" SA figures having torso joints, I don't think the chip would fit in those figures.

I agree its an awesome gimmick, way better than those waste of plastic weapons from TFA.

Atari
09-06-2017, 12:28 PM
Has anyone tried a commtech chip with this yet? I'm sure it doesn't work, but if it did, that would be awesome.

DarkArtist
09-06-2017, 12:29 PM
Has anyone tried a commtech chip with this yet? I'm sure it doesn't work, but if it did, that would be awesome.

I was thinking about trying to find my old commtech chips and seeing if they work lol

Atari
09-06-2017, 07:04 PM
I was thinking about trying to find my old commtech chips and seeing if they work lol

I found an episode II Padme chip and can confirm they don't work with the force link :(

R1G4R3PO
09-06-2017, 07:34 PM
I found an episode II Padme chip and can confirm they don't work with the force link :(

Episode "II " chip? Typo or cool, rare prototype? ( I know the answer btw)

K_M_Toydarian
09-06-2017, 08:48 PM
Looking at the Videos posted on the homepage, the "thrusting" action suggested to make the battle sounds seems a little severe. A couple of the ships look like they might not hold up that rough of play. lol Also, the "suggested grip on the figures, is practically to engulf it in your hand. Can barely see the figure the kid is playing with.

They should have put the chips into the Hero series 12" figures too.

Nerfherder
09-07-2017, 03:15 PM
Is this Kylo Ren a repack?

Coreworld
09-07-2017, 03:23 PM
Is this Kylo Ren a repack?

Just got this today, no it's a new sculpt and posed giving him a bit of a dynamism, with a cape which tips my version backwards as it's a bit heavy, need to source a soft goods cape for him. Good package though, the sounds are really good. Can be a pain to get the figures in the right position for the sounds to work. Itching to try this on the vehicles!

jrice73
09-07-2017, 07:05 PM
Just got this today, no it's a new sculpt and posed giving him a bit of a dynamism, with a cape which tips my version backwards as it's a bit heavy, need to source a soft goods cape for him. Good package though, the sounds are really good. Can be a pain to get the figures in the right position for the sounds to work. Itching to try this on the vehicles!

Went ahead and ordered this from Target.com. Figure since I got the TIE Silencer, I want to have lights and sound too.

K_M_Toydarian
09-07-2017, 09:17 PM
Went ahead and ordered this from Target.com. Figure since I got the TIE Silencer, I want to have lights and sound too.
Does the tie silencer have a button to activate the lights? Just curious. I know the sounds will only come from the force link gauntlet, but the lights are actually on the ship, right?

King_Goji
09-08-2017, 04:35 AM
Does the tie silencer have a button to activate the lights? Just curious. I know the sounds will only come from the force link gauntlet, but the lights are actually on the ship, right?I took apart the rear section before I connected it to the main ship, and there was a circuit board and LED's in it. Nothing else. So I'm guessing the lights are definitely on the ship, activated by the gauntlet, but the sounds are completely from the gauntlet. I can also find no button on the ship, except for the one that deploys the pop out weapons and launches the projectiles.

I just got it yesterday and haven't had a lot of time to mess with it, but this is what I've found with it so far.

bountyhunter69
09-15-2017, 01:27 PM
Finally managed to find the General Mills Cereal with the $10 coupon on it. I found it at Walmart (MckinneyTX) on Cookie Crisp, Cocoa Puffs and Reeses. Here is a scan of it. I used it at the self checkout and it triggered a need for an override due to the amount. I have not tried it as a mobile coupon or other stores. http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/thumbs/20170915_074908.jpg (http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/20170915_074908.jpg)

elanmars
10-26-2017, 11:09 PM
Finally got a cereal with the coupon, used it while the Forcelink set was on sale...

...my 8 year old, and I, aren't impressed with this device.

I should know better, having lived the Episode 1 Commtech days haha.

kdp100
11-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Does anyone know a way of turning this blasted thing off wthout removing the batteries every time? I've tried tapping it hard all over without success.

vadersvette
11-08-2017, 02:32 PM
Does anyone know a way of turning this blasted thing off wthout removing the batteries every time? I've tried tapping it hard all over without success.

It shuts off by itself after about 5 minutes.

kdp100
11-08-2017, 02:42 PM

Edit: just found the instructions that I'd thrown in the bin by accident: it seems there's now way to switch the thing off except automatically afte five minutes' inactivity. Now THERE's a licence to make batteries!

KypDurron420
12-09-2017, 08:38 PM
I love how Hasbro is doing ForceLink. I had actually emailed them my idea of removing the electronics form vehicles and having them as a separate piece about a year ago.

I like that it's like Commtech. I don't think it should cost more than $10 though. And it's better than oversized BAW pieces. Some of the BAW pieces are actually useful in custom vehicles though.

I'd also think that having dialogue isn't needed. It just needs the blaster, saber, engine, droid, and creature sounds. :{3