PDA

View Full Version : C-3PO - The Last Jedi

GNT
05-24-2017, 05:35 PM
Please use this thread to discuss any potential TLJ all golden C-3PO figures.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/4908/c3po26.jpg

Masterfett
05-24-2017, 08:49 PM
But what could possibly change? Unless he installs an arm mounted blaster gauntlet, he's still just as useless as always. lol

Honestly, after 50 years you'd think he'd acquired some cool gadgets to defend himself.

DarkArtist
05-25-2017, 07:34 AM
Please use this thread to discuss any potential TLJ all golden C-3PO figures.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/4908/c3po26.jpg

is this a behind the scenes shot from TLJ??? if so Threepio is back to be all gold and shiny again!

War_in_The_floor
05-25-2017, 11:46 AM
Really dislike the dull crappy finish the lest several figures have had. If they wont do Vac metal they at least need to use a highly metallic paint with a good luster. I am always short on 3Pos though so if it is even palatable I will have top get a few.

CT1138
05-25-2017, 01:05 PM
Honestly, after 50 years you'd think he'd acquired some cool gadgets to defend himself.
C-3PO, AotC: "I'm programed for etiquette, not destruction!"

He's a prissy protocol droid, not a droideka. :P

Masterfett
05-25-2017, 04:32 PM
I know, but he's in peril more than a Princess! And always seems in the way during a crisis.

GNT
05-25-2017, 05:42 PM
is this a behind the scenes shot from TLJ??? if so Threepio is back to be all gold and shiny again!

It's from the Vanity Fair shoot, Daniels is just in the prop department.

bob_solo
05-26-2017, 10:10 AM
Threepio was actually all gold and shiny at the end of TFA. It was very brief, just as Rey & Chewie were lifting off.

Masterfett
05-26-2017, 10:13 AM
TBH, the red arm just seems odd w/o the backstory. So in my mind why bother with giving him a red arm at all?

War_in_The_floor
05-26-2017, 11:17 AM
It sort of suggests merchandising so your old versions were planned obsolescence. But then they never even made a decent one available so, so much for that conspiracy theory

phasmasboytoy
05-26-2017, 11:31 AM
TBH, the red arm just seems odd w/o the backstory. So in my mind why bother with giving him a red arm at all?

Um, merchandising...? aka a lazy attempt to exploit collectors. They never did-as far as I can tell-make a TFA Threepio with a swappable arm. You either have to buy one with the red arm or without or get both (Disney prefers this option).

DarkArtist
05-26-2017, 12:01 PM
Threepio was actually all gold and shiny at the end of TFA. It was very brief, just as Rey & Chewie were lifting off.

ha lol.. I just had to rewatch that scene. I guess since the threat of Starkiller base was down the mechanics finally found time to either replace his arm or repaint it gold lol. maybe Artoo was holding it all along and returned it to him upon waking up from his long slumber lol. :P

War_in_The_floor
05-26-2017, 02:02 PM
... there was a scene in the clone wars tv series that has me thinking since that any time you see customer graphics or repaints in the sw universe that Atsromechs do it so that may not be far from the " truth". I think they were doing Jedi Star fighter and Phase 2 clone armor? any one remember what I am thinking of?

bob_solo
05-26-2017, 03:18 PM
ha lol.. I just had to rewatch that scene. I guess since the threat of Starkiller base was down the mechanics finally found time to either replace his arm or repaint it gold lol. maybe Artoo was holding it all along and returned it to him upon waking up from his long slumber lol. :P

LOL! Well, R2 DID fix him once before in ESB, so that theory just might hold water. Of course, Threepio did complain earlier in the movie about getting his arm fixed, so maybe with the possibility of seeing Master Luke again, he begged the techs to fix him right away in preparation for it. :grin:

BlueLightsaber
05-28-2017, 05:31 PM
Can't wait for an all gold C3PO

GNT
05-29-2017, 05:48 AM
Um, merchandising...? aka a lazy attempt to exploit collectors.

Not really, you have to remember C-3P0 has been "alive" so to speak in the Star Wars timeline for over 60 years till TLJ! yes 60 years! And he has most likely been gold covered for 50+ years (Just after AOTC), you just have to think of C-3PO like a car - an active car will never stay pristine for 60 years with all original parts, bits break and need refixing, might get a few dents along the way that need hammering out. His red arm was to show that wear and tear occurs and IMO it gave him a bit of charm, I kinda wish he kept it for a couple more films.

lordtyrannus
05-29-2017, 07:57 AM
Hasbro will have to reach deep to surpass Disney's new mold. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170529/514784701d34dce8a25f1d7cfb5aa574.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HothHan
05-31-2017, 07:50 AM
Hasbro will have to reach deep to surpass Disney's new mold.

Yep I can't see any reason that I will need to buy another Hasbro droid after seeing what Disney has done with their in-house sculpts. The R2/3PO 2-pack is perfect IMO. Of course they are dirty and Tatooine specific, but the sculpts are incredible. Unless TLJ 3PO ends up with Iron Man armor I can pass on any Hasbro attempt.

DarkArtist
05-31-2017, 08:24 AM
Yep I can't see any reason that I will need to buy another Hasbro droid after seeing what Disney has done with their in-house sculpts. The R2/3PO 2-pack is perfect IMO. Of course they are dirty and Tatooine specific, but the sculpts are incredible. Unless TLJ 3PO ends up with Iron Man armor I can pass on any Hasbro attempt.

Iron-Threepio... lol :D that would be an interesting droid indeed. I've seen people use beater Kenner threepio's and make them into various marvel crossovers.

ReturnoftheJedi
05-31-2017, 04:37 PM
Iron-Threepio... lol :D that would be an interesting droid indeed. I've seen people use beater Kenner threepio's and make them into various marvel crossovers.

Beater Kenner Threepio? Never heard of that nor have I seen it...

ReturnoftheJedi
05-31-2017, 04:38 PM
Hasbro will have to reach deep to surpass Disney's new mold. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170529/514784701d34dce8a25f1d7cfb5aa574.jpg

That Threepio figure looks nice. Paint the arm gold to match and there you go.

HothHan
05-31-2017, 04:59 PM
Beater Kenner Threepio? Never heard of that nor have I seen it...
He meant Threepio figures in bad condition. Like a beater car that you can use to learn to drive stick in or do donuts in random parking lots.

Tapped by a Pixel XL

Masterfett
05-31-2017, 06:19 PM
Well, they could use actual wires in the lower abdomen.

GNT
07-29-2017, 08:05 PM
New picture has surfaced - http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/sw715.jpg

Deak_Starkiller
07-29-2017, 11:19 PM
No accessories, huh...not surprising though.

TJapes
07-30-2017, 02:25 AM
The gold looks good. Will definitely consider when I see it in hand.

GNT
07-30-2017, 02:50 AM
No accessories, huh...not surprising though.

It's not like he really does much besides stand around and theodd time here or there where he falls apart :p

The figure looks nice.

DarthPete
07-30-2017, 07:26 AM
While he's almost certainly the same sculpt as TFA version, but with a gold arm this time, I'm a sucker for a single carded 3PO.

Deak_Starkiller
07-30-2017, 09:48 AM
It's not like he really does much besides stand around and theodd time here or there where he falls apart :p

The figure looks nice.

It was pretty much the same with Hux in TFA, and this time they gave him a mouse droid. I just think Hasbro couldn't come with some neat Resistance accessory to make it sensible enough to put inside the blister.

ZiggyStarkiller
07-30-2017, 01:12 PM
Should have packed him with BB-8 if they aren't already packing BB-8 with R2 which might make more sense now that I'm typing it.

DarkManX
07-31-2017, 12:33 AM
It was pretty much the same with Hux in TFA, and this time they gave him a mouse droid. I just think Hasbro couldn't come with some neat Resistance accessory to make it sensible enough to put inside the blister.

Can't get a great view at it but it looks like a stand is included but I could be wrong.

Deak_Starkiller
07-31-2017, 12:48 AM
Not sure why Threepio got a single card release this time, the deluxe TFA set was fine by me (albeit accessories). Does he have a rather more prominent role in the film to warrant this?

reyandbb8
07-31-2017, 02:33 PM
Not sure why Threepio got a single card release this time, the deluxe TFA set was fine by me (albeit accessories). Does he have a rather more prominent role in the film to warrant this?

Threepio doesn't have a red arm in TLJ.

And the TFA figure has a red arm.

BlueLightsaber
08-10-2017, 12:13 AM
any chance we'll get a BS6" version?

Billy_Ray
08-10-2017, 06:15 AM
any chance we'll get a BS6" version?

We've already gotten two releases with the gold arm (40th anniversary and Walgreens' exclusive) and a regular release with the red arm.

Deak_Starkiller
08-10-2017, 08:44 AM
Well, the market seems to be a saturated with him that much we can tell. But if there is anything they can tweak as far as making him distinct enough to market, I don't have a problem with that. Heck, they can go ahead and make an Artoo 2-pack to tone down the BS Artoo backlash for a change. :)

Now I don't know if there's a BS 6" (scale) Chewie for TLJ, but if so, it makes some sense for Threepio to come back for another round. Otherwise, those OT support characters can just take a backseat for a spell.

Lobotscomb
08-10-2017, 04:37 PM
in my opinion all 3p0,s should be vac painted or non existent. 3p0 and r2 are still 2 of my favorites to collect when they have vac metal and nice brushed metal looks.

Jabbaman
08-11-2017, 07:03 PM
I found a Review of him..

https://youtu.be/Xi9yDyJKvk8

Jabbaman
08-11-2017, 07:06 PM
Try that again
https://youtu.be/Xi9yDyJKvk8

Maverick10126
08-11-2017, 08:29 PM
I initially wasn't interested as I have the MS figure and this is essentially the same, but based on the review it sounds like an improved paint job. I might get one for my custom threepio assuming the paint on the rancor set threepio matches.

MysterioMaximus
08-12-2017, 06:02 AM
Maaaan! So (at least to me) this just outright confirms my theory. C-3PO's red arm was a ploy to get people to buy yet another C-3PO they don't need. I mean, I know the studios always go to the writers and say, hey, don't forget...we need to merchandise this stuff! But man, for them to write off the red arm already?

Idpullthecurtain
08-12-2017, 08:20 AM
Maaaan! So (at least to me) this just outright confirms my theory. C-3PO's red arm was a ploy to get people to buy yet another C-3PO they don't need. I mean, I know the studios always go to the writers and say, hey, don't forget...we need to merchandise this stuff! But man, for them to write off the red arm already?

they did before the end of TFA!

MysterioMaximus
08-12-2017, 08:50 AM
they did before the end of TFA!

REALLY!?! I totally MISSED that! How did I miss that!?

Deak_Starkiller
08-12-2017, 09:14 AM

It's almost a subtle joke in some way, given his role in TFA was practically nonexistential enough to not have gone through noticeable changes including dismemberment. ROTS and RO excepted off course.

MysterioMaximus
08-12-2017, 09:33 AM
It's almost a subtle joke in some way, given his role in TFA was practically nonexistential enough to not have gone through noticeable changes including dismemberment. ROTS and RO excepted off course.

I agree! You know, to be honest, I've had long hard talks with friends about, really, why the droids are in the PT to begin with. What we kind of came to was that they really don't need to be for any plot purpose at all, they need to be simply because they're pop culture icons and the masses would come out in droves with pitchforks and torches if they weren't. It was sort of a case of the audience influencing the art. I mean...I suppose R2 needed a little bit of a roll, but that much? Don't even get me started on Anakin building C-3PO. Ugh!

But man! This makes the red arm even more of a cash grab. I sincerely never noticed it was fixed by the end of TFA. I've honestly stopped buying C-3PO's for years now.

Deak_Starkiller
08-12-2017, 09:54 AM
Well, the lore is that the SW films are told through the POV of the droids, more notably R2-D2 since it was transcribed to the Keeper Of The Whills by the droid, some 100 years IIRC after the events of the SW Saga. Since the Journal of the Whills themselves has achieved some canonicity in some respects, the droids' presence is simply considered a connection (and a tribute in a sense) to that lore, no matter what contribute the droids have been written to within the films.

Maverick10126
08-12-2017, 10:05 AM
I still love how Keira knightly made padme clean R2. I'm sure padme made her clean the toilets when they switched back.

MysterioMaximus
08-12-2017, 11:01 AM
Well, the lore is that the SW films are told through the POV of the droids, more notably R2-D2 since it was transcribed to the Keeper Of The Whills by the droid, some 100 years IIRC after the events of the SW Saga. Since the Journal of the Whills themselves has achieved some canonicity in some respects, the droids' presence is simply considered a connection (and a tribute in a sense) to that lore, no matter what contribute the droids have been written to within the films.

Ah! I did not know it went that deeply. I always thought it was more just fan canon that the story was told through the POV of the droids, not that it actually had a basis in reality. Interesting stuff, my man! Makes me accept their presence a bit more in the PT. Still not a fan of Anakin building 3po though. =P

Masterfett
08-12-2017, 12:31 PM
REALLY!?! I totally MISSED that! How did I miss that!?
You mean the part where 3PO explicitly calls attention to his arm, and then spends 20 minutes explaining it off camera? :rolleyes:

TBH it didn't other me, as I never bought RED arm 3PO. I haven't bought a 3PO since long before TVC!

I still love how Keira knightly made padme clean R2. I'm sure padme made her clean the toilets when they switched back.
Priceless! lol

MysterioMaximus
08-12-2017, 01:07 PM
You mean the part where 3PO explicitly calls attention to his arm, and then spends 20 minutes explaining it off camera? :rolleyes:

TBH it didn't other me, as I never bought RED arm 3PO. I haven't bought a 3PO since long before TVC!

RIGHT!? I always hate when they open up a subplot, but to actually get the answers...you need to shell out extra cash for a comic book or novel. Ugh! Sifo-Dias much? Hah!

Yeah I never bought it either. I mean, the second I saw it, I knew what it was. Marketing crap! But at the same time, I agree, I let it slide as the over-all flick I liked. It didn't taint the movie for me, but I def. would have rather not had it.

DarkManX
08-12-2017, 09:45 PM

Headline: Movie Franchise Wants To Sell Toys

droids are basically slaves in star wars. They even call their owners "Master"

activistfangirl
08-16-2017, 12:59 PM
http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/medium/fullsizeoutput_4013.jpeg

Masterfett
08-16-2017, 06:21 PM
Not bad looking, not bad at all. May get this id he's Metallic GOLD.

Maverick10126
08-16-2017, 06:38 PM
That gold color actually looks pretty nice....

Maverick10126
08-16-2017, 06:40 PM
I might try giving him the knees/lower legs from tvc mold and the arms from the tvc. It'd fix the height issue on tvc mold.

Idpullthecurtain
08-17-2017, 04:02 AM
That gold color actually looks pretty nice....
I'm very interested to see how this looks in hand. The paint looks different to previous versions.

Billy_Ray
08-17-2017, 07:17 AM
The finish looked pretty good in the video review. The only thing that really bothers me is the "flying squirrel" things he has going on his arms. I wonder how hard it would be to trim that extra plastic away between the pistons and his arms?

HothHan
08-17-2017, 07:28 AM
The finish looked pretty good in the video review. The only thing that really bothers me is the "flying squirrel" things he has going on his arms. I wonder how hard it would be to trim that extra plastic away between the pistons and his arms?

Might be as easy as some precise exacto knife work.

Maverick10126
08-17-2017, 07:31 AM
A couple things I noticed. It's not quite a repaint of the mission series tfa two pack mold. The pelvis on this figure has been modified in the above picture. The wires are different and the pelvis has more clearance allowing the legs to actually move. From what I can tell everything else is the same.

Either way the gold color and the improved hips have turned him into a buy for me.

chaingunsofdoom
08-28-2017, 11:12 AM
^ yep that's all I can see as well when comparing it to the TFA mold. One pic I took today:

https://twitter.com/chaingunsofdoom/status/902216250863923201

chaingunsofdoom
08-28-2017, 05:29 PM
Here's the opened comparison:

https://twitter.com/chaingunsofdoom/status/902309392338509825

Maverick10126
08-28-2017, 07:56 PM
Improved hip articulation, sold! Now we will see how steady I am with a dremel. I'm going to try to put the tvc threepios lower legs on this guy. Give him some knee joints.

Wookieman26
10-24-2017, 10:23 AM
Just got this figure today! Such a great figure. A huge step up from the SL/TFA releases. Improved posture, finish, and wiring paint really make this stand out as one of the best TLJ figures so far, and one of the best 3POs ever. I was always happy with the TFA version, but this new one has really made me see its flaws.

DarthPete
10-24-2017, 11:23 AM
It really is a nice one that shines once you've got it in hand.

matto
10-24-2017, 11:44 AM
I'm not one to normally purchase any 5POA figures, with exception to only a few that had needed accessories or in case of some droids. 3PO falls into this category for me, especially with the great look of this one. There are few times where knee articulation is good for him, but not necessary for every version. I may pick this one up.